Why would Stannis ever marry Selyse??? WHY?????

House Beaudreau

1 hour ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

The Tarlys didn't seem to consider themselves part of this block though. Randall never showed any interest in supporting Stannis, and happily slaughtered the Florent foot at Bitterbridge. 

You hedge your bets - sometimes they bring dividends, sometimes they don't.

Also there are various degrees in which marital ties might work - siding with Stannis because he is married to some sort of your wife's cousin is one thing (a no, in Randyl's case), while not executing a prisoner for same reason is another.

E.g. if Randyl captured Shireen he might (I repeat - might) treat her better than he would without any (distant) kinship.

1 minute ago, TMIFairy said:

You hedge your bets - sometimes they bring dividends, sometimes they don't.

Also there are various degrees in which marital ties might work - siding with Stannis because he is married to some sort of your wife's cousin is one thing (a no, in Randyl's case), while not executing a prisoner for same reason is another.

E.g. if Randyl captured Shireen he might (I repeat - might) treat her better than he would without any (distant) kinship.

Fair points, I just thought the comment suggested there was some sort of deeper alliance intended with the Tarlys. Of course, it could have been intended, but never came to fruition. 

Selyse is the upjumped fire dragon queen plot gift that keeps on giving. It’s all to bring to the page her giving the order to burn Shireen, which in turn exposes Mel as the charlatan she is, which in turn pushes Stannis and Jon  farther along in their decision making arcs. 

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Selyse is the upjumped fire dragon queen plot gift that keeps on giving.

:D

This.

And it allows the

"Stannis! Stannis! Stannis!"

chanting crowd to chant

"Hate! Hate! Hate!"

for a change :)

19 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

The Tarlys didn't seem to consider themselves part of this block though. Randall never showed any interest in supporting Stannis, and happily slaughtered the Florent foot at Bitterbridge. 

True. But we don't know if Tarly might have supported Robert (instead of Stannis) over Mace Tyrell in other circumstances. Or they weren't sure which way he'd go and thought there might be a chance. Hindsight is always 20/20. Even if there's a 20% chance Tarly might turn that's useful to have.

Edit: Sorry I missed the comments on the next page which handled this pretty neatly.

Being descended from Florys the Fox could possibly be a part of the desire.  They didn't marry for looks and I have a feeling some family lines are wanted for certain qualities.  The Cranes, for example, may have skin-changing blood as the Farwynds.  I think any possible descendent of Garth Greenhand is going to be desirable.  

Turned out to be a damned good move, didn't it? Half of Stannis's swords after the Battle of the Blackwater were raised by House Florent. Without them, would he have had the strength to defeat the Mance and to marshall the Mountain Clans and to take Deepwood Motte? 

18 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

I suspect that marriage was a message to house Tyrell. Or stay loyal to your new masters or else ...

This is 100% the reason.

The Florents are notoriously vocal about their better claim to Highgarden (as Olenna notes), moreso than other Houses that also have a better claim.  Stannis marrying a Florent (almost certainly a Jon Arryn idea) is a clear political message to the only important faction in Westeros not allied with the new regime; toe the line or else.  The Reach is powerful, but not enough to fight the Stormlands and Westerlands at the same time, let alone the entirety of Westeros

15 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

I always figured Robert just arranged the match to screw with Stannis when he was drunk because it would be funny.

We have a winner! It's definitely this.

Plus, perhaps he had his eye on the Florent chick and decided a wedding was the perfect event for a come-on. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:26 AM, Canon Claude said:

You are all forgetting something about Stannis. He is deeply uncomfortable around women in the series. Lady Glover, Asha, all his interactions with women (except Melisandre) indicate that Stannis has a difficult time talking to women, even when he’s accepting gratitude from Lady Glover on liberating her from the Ironborn. So to Stannis, would it really matter what kind of woman he marries? It’s just duty to him. He would have preferred not to marry at all, I think. He’s clearly a socially awkward asexual who is forced to produce children because of his sense of duty. So being married to any woman would be uncomfortable. And since Robert and Jon don’t care for him that much, might as well saddle him with the ugly Florent girl while Robert sleeps with the pretty one in Stannis’ wedding bed. It’s not like Stannis wants to use it anyway right?

On that, am I the only one who has consider that Stannis may have Schizoid Personality Disorder?

19 hours ago, GallowsKnight said:

Nah I tend to agree. Often when people suggest he's on the Autistic spectrum, I disagree and suggest schizoid. 

I'm autistic and while it can kinda look like that Stannis doesn't seem particularly anxious nor does he appear to have any problems communicating or with sensory inpout.

On 4/9/2018 at 11:25 PM, Ralphis Baratheon said:

The Florents have been low key rivals to the Tyrells since the conquest. They believe they have a greater claim to Highgarden by having more royal Gardener King's blood in their line. The Tyrells raised the Reach for the Targaryens in the rebellion, so a marriage to a powerful House of the Reach could undermine the Tyrells if they ever try to rise against the Baratheons. 

Stannis HATES the Tyrells and so do the Florents.

This is probably the reason; it was to help keep the Tyrells in line as it's an obvious threat then that they could be easily replaced with another Reach house.

Archived