Football: Mo Please!

AncalagonTheBlack

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

What for? It was a pen and it was clearly a sending off.

It's a reasonably soft penalty and, yeah, there's reason to send off Buffon but a bit of sympathy for the game. Sending off the keeper before the key moment of the tie is just shit.

Anyway, that was rubbish. What an anticlimax.

3 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I don't think it was a penalty at all. He was barely touched by the player taking the ball away from him.

Vasquez went down, ahem, dramatically, but I don't think the defender would have got to the ball if he'd not pushed him first.

there's reason to send off Buffon but a bit of sympathy for the game. Sending off the keeper before the key moment of the tie is just shit.

Don't agree there. You can't be giving Buffon leinencies just coz these were his last moments in the CL. Shoving the ref around is like the one thing you're 100% definitely getting sent off for, it was an idiotic thing to do.

5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Don't agree there. You can't be giving Buffon leinencies just coz these were his last moments in the CL. Shoving the ref around is like the one thing you're 100% definitely getting sent off for, it was an idiotic thing to do.

He doesn't really shove him, he bumps into his back in the process of rushing over to scream in his face. It's not great but it's not like it doesn't happen reasonably often either. If you've got an excuse not to send off the keeper before a key last minute penalty you should take it, just give him a yellow and get on with it.

The responsibility should be on Buffon not behaving like a lunatic towards the referee and not the referee finding an excuse not to send him off. And tbf, we don't know what Buffon was screaming at the official. Could (and probably was) some offensive shit.

11 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I thought it was a penalty as well. If Buffon does decide to call it quits, it's quite a sad way to end a great career. 

Not sure, but I think riding into the sunset with one last scudetto isn't that bad. It wasn't the final game of the season for Buffon and Juve, you kow.

13 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

He doesn't really shove him, he bumps into his back in the process of rushing over to scream in his face. It's not great but it's not like it doesn't happen reasonably often either. If you've got an excuse not to send off the keeper before a key last minute penalty you should take it, just give him a yellow and get on with it.

Look at the ref's movement, he shoves him from the side. But even if he didn't that would have been a red. Like Consigliere said, it's not the ref's responsibility to give breaks to Buffon when he's acting like a twat.

My two cents. 

1) It looks like a penalty to me. Lucas Vazquez gets shoved from behind as he it about to control the ball in the 6 yard box. Not blatant ot strenous though. Ref would’ve been better off not awarding it though.

2) Buffon sent himself off. No one to blame except himself.

3) If that penalty was awarded to my team, Real Madrid, in that same situation, I’d be fuming. 

4) I can only hope this helps players anywhere  not to round up and gang up on ref’s to protest things and pressure them. (I’m looking especially at you Barça)

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Look at the ref's movement, he shoves him from the side. But even if he didn't that would have been a red. Like Consigliere said, it's not the ref's responsibility to give breaks to Buffon when he's acting like a twat.

If you love football you just have to love Buffon, but that's as much a red card offense as I can imagine.

If it were up to me, ANY physical contact with the referee, no matter how small and innocent would be a red card. Crowding the ref like that would get every single player in the crowd at least booked, only captain of the team would be allowed to speak to the referee unless spoken to and would have to be respectful in doing so and a whole lot of other rules that would lead to football players behaving properly.

It CAN be done in football and it HAS been done in sports that are a lot more physically intense such as rugby and ice hockey.

Marseille vs Leipzig has been madness. OM gone from all but out when RBL got the away goal, to in the lead, to back behind on away goals when Payet's wonderstrike was disallowed - all in 20 mins.

23 minutes ago, Notone said:

In other news Bild is reporting that Kovac will indeed be the next manager at Bayern.

Why do you think they have gone for him over, say, Nagelsmann? Would Kovac have been first choice, or would he have been easier to get to come out of the two?

I read they were looking for a German speaking coach specifically, which would narrow down their search. 

I suppose Kovac has a history of having played for Bayern, although not a prominent player in their history.

1 minute ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Why do you think they have gone for him over, say, Nagelsmann? Would Kovac have been first choice, or would he have been easier to get to come out of the two?

I read they were looking for a German speaking coach specifically, which would narrow down their search. 

I suppose Kovac has a history of having played for Bayern, although not a prominent player in their history.

He's won the CL with them iirc. As you said, the requirement of speaking German narrowed the field down significantly. They (well more like Hoeneß) wasted time hoping for Heynckes to change his mind, which tied their hands. Rummenigge wanted to go after Tuchel early on, Hoeneß wasn't 100% convinced (Tuchel's (lack of) social skills) and hoped to convince his buddy Heynckes to stay, that dragged on for a while. Note Heynckes had made it very clear very early on, that he will be back on his farm with his wife and his beloved dog at the end of the season to enjoy his retirement. Anyway, then Tuchel agreed terms with a foreign club (be it PSG or Arsenal, or whatver). Klopp is under contract and quite happy with life in Liverpool. Nagelsmann is still under contract, and Hoffenheim have made it clear, that he will be there next season overseeing their rebuild. Nagelsmann also said that he has a contract he intends to honour months ago. Löw is under contract with the German FA and has apaprently no intention to take over a club again. That's more or less the big three (Klopp, Löw, Tuchel) ruled out. Hasenhüttl was the only other guy in the running.

Then the choices suddenly began to grow thin. So Kovac checked a few boxes. He speaks German fluently (obviously). He knows the club and its mentality from his time as a player, also from their time together as players he is realtively close with Bayern's Director of Football Salihamidzic and he has some experience (he managed the Croatian national team), and he has done a reasonably good job at Frankfurt).

I am neither a Bayern fan nor an expert for their club, but this was what reportedly happened there. But from the outside this hardly looks like the first choice manager for Bayern.

The speaking German language requirement might look kinda ridiculous from the outside, but German is not a particularly easy language to learn for foreigners. And their history with non-German speaking managers has not been that great. Trappatoni worked there twice, his first stay suffered from him not speaking German. His second  stay with them at least speaking German in some fashion (a bit like with his English) was a bit more fruitful. Ancelotti was a catastrophe from their perspective. Guardiola was able to speak German when he joined them (with a thick accent, but you could understand him).

Archived