US Politics: What Price Loyalty?

mormont

4 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Paul Ryan retiring?   Put that under; Atlas Fled.

Yep, I stole that meme, it's too cool not to.

Atlas, Shrug

3 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Put a cork in it Corker, we tried to tell ya, you ass clown.

Put a cork in him!!!

14 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Right, and maybe there is a question as to whether he was paid to do so?  I just wonder if there is something there.  Who knows.  I will say I know the guy who authorized the Cohen warrants.  Stand up dude.  Based on my knowledge of him he would have been really, really, really careful.

Yeah, I’m sure there had to be something that piqued their interest, otherwise they would never have signed off on it, nor would a judge have allowed it.

One alternative theory I came up with last night is that the source told the reporter multiple things they were looking for, and the Access Hollywood tape jumped out so they ran with that instead of the other options. Even good journalists are slaves to the clicks.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, I’m sure there had to be something that piqued their interest, otherwise they would never have signed off on it, nor would a judge have allowed it.

One alternative theory I came up with last night is that the source told the reporter multiple things they were looking for, and the Access Hollywood tape jumped out so they ran with that instead of the other options. Even good journalists are slaves to the clicks.

Yeah, but the way to break that information would have been to include everything they were told and unload the Access Tape at the end for the bombshell.

14 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

A former prosecutor on CNN suggested they were looking for a pattern of behaviour.

I was wondering if Cohen used threats against Burnett also.

That is a possibility. We have evidence that he writes threatening emails, and the guy seems dumb enough to not clean up after himself.  

12 hours ago, Shryke said:

It's not though. I'm saying he doesn't distract people. He doesn't think "I want people to stop talking about this, so I'll do something else to so they focus on that". He just does shit to get attention and he blows up over random things he sees on the TV that anger him. People misinterpret the fact that he's always trying to yell about something as a strategic decision but it's not. He's just a narcissistic moron.

Trump is a moron, but there are a few things he’s really skilled at, and changing media narratives is one of them. Perhaps a NYC boarder can give more insight, but I’ve read several articles that discuss the way he used the tabloids to distract from his business failings in the 90”s. Sure it also feeds into his narcissism, but there is some strategy to what he’s doing too. Where he runs afoul is that every action is taken in a vacuum. He’s never thinking two steps ahead.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That is a possibility. We have evidence that he writes threatening emails, and the guy seems dumb enough to not clean up after himself.  

Fuck, have you seen the clip where he explains what being a 'fixer' means? It's so clear that he wants the journalist to ask him if he's like Liev Schrieber

Meanwhile, if you can bear the mental agony I highly suggest watching the clip where Donald calls Mueller's raid an 'attack on America'. But don't look at Trump this time, look at Bolton.

It's very subtle. For the most part he just looks uncomfortable as all hell, but when the Donald calls it an 'attack' you can see his eyebrows jump and he throws a sideways look at the orange fool with his mouth hanging open.

I think it's worth pointing out that this is an extremely seasoned public official who probably knows a thing or two about controlling his reactions so those little reactions speak volumes about what's going on in his head.

Donald Trump: I found out they RAIDED! one of MY PERSONAL atturnies....

Bolton's Internal Monologue: Oh Jesus. Hang in there, John. Just hang in there. This is my back door into Iran. Just let him talk himself out so we can get to the business of Syria...

Donald Trump: It's disgrACEFUL! It really IS...

Bolton's Internal Monologue: Wait. Was the media telling the truth? He really is an idiot, isn't he?

Donald Trump: blah blah blah blah blah blah

Bolton's Internal Monologue: Should I say something? Should I throw him a lifeline? He's drowning out there.

Donald Trump: Alzheimers, alzheimers, alzheimers...

Bolton's Internal Monologue: I'm going to say something. He may be an idiot, but he's my President. I've served idiots before, and this time I'll keep him on my leash.

Donald Trump: This investigation, it's an attack. It's an attack on our nation

Bolton's Internal Monologue:

16 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Fuck, have you seen the clip where he explains what being a 'fixer' means? It's so clear that he wants the journalist to ask him if he's like Liev Schrieber

Meanwhile, if you can bear the mental agony I highly suggest watching the clip where Donald calls Mueller's raid an 'attack on America'. But don't look at Trump this time, look at Bolton.

It's very subtle. For the most part he just looks uncomfortable as all hell, but when the Donald calls it an 'attack' you can see his eyebrows jump and he throws a sideways look at the orange fool with his mouth hanging open.

I think it's worth pointing out that this is an extremely seasoned public official who probably knows a thing or two about controlling his reactions so those little reactions speak volumes about what's going on in his head.

Donald Trump: I found out they RAIDED! one of MY PERSONAL atturnies....

Bolton's Internal Monologue: Oh Jesus. Hang in there, John. Just hang in there. This is my back door into Iran. Just let him talk himself out so we can get to the business of Syria...

Donald Trump: It's disgrACEFUL! It really IS...

Bolton's Internal Monologue: Wait. Was the media telling the truth? He really is an idiot, isn't he?

Donald Trump: blah blah blah blah blah blah

Bolton's Internal Monologue: Should I say something? Should I throw him a lifeline? He's drowning out there.

Donald Trump: Alzheimers, alzheimers, alzheimers...

Bolton's Internal Monologue: I'm going to say something. He may be an idiot, but he's my President. I've served idiots before, and this time I'll keep him on my leash.

Donald Trump: This investigation, it's an attack. It's an attack on our nation

Bolton's Internal Monologue:

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Personally I prefer this interview:

11 hours ago, Alcibiades said:

IETA: I'm also wondering if he's left enough detail for someone to sleuth out who he is. The write up just has that he's an R in a safe seat on the judiciary committee who goes on TV (fox, I'm sure) regularly. That's probably not enough to go on, but there may be other hints or facts I don't know.

I didn't read that as the member saying he was on judiciary, just that he was talking about the folks who were on it. However, I think we can narrow it down a lot in other ways.

First up, he mentions Pelosi's changes to the congressional cafeteria and his extreme dislike of them. Those changes were enacted when she became Speaker in 2007 and reversed after Republicans took the majority in 2011, so I think we can narrow it down to members elected prior to 2006 (there's a chance he was a congressional staffer at that point, but I can't think of any Republican members right now who were previously staffers). That narrows it down to 57 names.

Next, we know it's a man. 52 names.

Next, we know he is running for re-election. 37 names.

And we know Trump won the district. 34 names.

We know he's not a diehard supporter; which is a little tricky to define, so I'm going to be conservative at this point and only cross Devin Nunes, Steve King, and Louie Gohmert off the remaining list. 31 names.

We also know that the district is "very Republican," but that's also hard to define. This where I'm no longer confident I'm not crossing off the name by accident. But we've gone too far not to press on. First, I'll exclude any district where Clinton in 16, Obama in 12, or Obama in 08 got within 5 points of winning; since I don't think any of those could be called "very Republican." That gets us to 25 names.

There is a chance there could be downballot Democratic strength, so did any of them have a Democratic opponent get within 5 points in the past 5 elections? Only 1 of them, Don Young. And he seems unlikely for a number of other reasons too; so, 24 names.

Going back to the diehard Trump supporter issue, Walter B. Jones Jr. is the only 1 of these 24 who endorsed Trump prior to the primaries finishing up. The rest all waited until after, and almost all gave extremely tepid endorsements or simply said they "support the nominee" without mentioning Trump by name. Also, he's a weird guy that probably wouldn't talk with Erick Erickson anyway.

The remaining 23 names are:

Jim Sensenbrenner, Hal Rogers, Chris Smith, Ken Calvert, Frank Lucas, Mac Thorberry, Robert Aderholt, Kevin Brady, John Shimkus, Mike Simpson, Greg Walden, Sam Graves, Joe Wilson, Rob Bishop, Michael C. Burgess, John Carter, Tom Cole, Mike D. Rogers, Mike Conaway, Jeff Fortenberry, Kenny Marchant, Michael McCaul, and Patrick T. McHenry.

At this point I'll note that exactly 1 of these 23 names is on the House Judiciary Committee, Jim Sensenbrenner. So if you do read the interview as it being someone on Judiciary talking, there's your guy.

The next step would be to look at these guys TV appearances and see how often they appear to defend Trump. 

And also look to see if any are known for never swearing (which would rule them out) or for swearing a lot (which doesn't confirm them, but makes them more likely).

But those are both heavy lifts to do. Any takers?

I saw something this morning that was quite, well, Orwellian. Last night Trump tweeted this:

Trump is telling his followers to watch a certain poster’s favorite word. Hannity proceeds to break down first the “Clinton Crime Family” then the “Comey Crime Family” and finally the “Mueller Crime Family.”

They’re working together to condition the base to get ready for the impending Saturday Night Massacre.

Trump and Fox have become fully symbiotic. The questions remains though, does the dog wag the tail or does it wag the dog?

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I saw something this morning that was quite, well, Orwellian. Last night Trump tweeted this:

Trump is telling his followers to watch a certain poster’s favorite word. Hannity proceeds to break down first the “Clinton Crime Family” then the “Comey Crime Family” and finally the “Mueller Crime Family.”

They’re working together to condition the base to get ready for the impending Saturday Night Massacre.

Trump and Fox have become fully symbiotic. The questions remains though, does the dog wag the tail or does it wag the dog?

You have no idea. The RNC is right now cobbling together attack ads against Comey to discredit him on his book tour.

ETA: That's not my gut feeling or anything, either. Jeff Zealony reported it this morning.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's a closed-loop Human Centipede.

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I know it pretty much rolls off of us at this point but this guy really is a disgrace.  Even if there was no coordination between Trump and Fox, it really does feel below the office to be tweeting to America to ‘be sure to tune in!’  

Like, what the fuck do you think your job is man?  There really is a child running the country right now, and some children might actually do a better job.

5 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Why does it have to be Menedez who's giving Pompeo the business? I can't think of a worse Senate Dem with less credibility.

Anyways, I'm going to bed. I'll see you guys after he's been confirmed.

Odds are he won't be. The committee is an 11-10 Republican majority and Rand Paul is on it, and he's been clear he will never vote for Pompeo. So if Democrats hold together, Pompeo's not getting out of committee.

I think there is a way for McConnell to bring the nomination to the floor anyway, but with McCain away Republicans only have a 50-49 majority. So Democrats can vote down the nomination with Rand Paul (and Paul was comfortable being the only Republican to vote against Pompeo's CIA nomination last year).

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Of course. NY has the famous five families (Bonanno, Colombo, Gambino, Lucchese, Genovese). And Sean Hannity is infamously bananas and gives DC four families (Clinton, Comey, Mueller and Obamas).  Just a normal day at Fox News and the Trump administration.

41 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You have no idea. The RNC is right now cobbling together attack ads against Comey to discredit him on his book tour.

ETA: That's not my gut feeling or anything, either. Jeff Zealony reported it this morning.

37 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

It's a closed-loop Human Centipede.

22 minutes ago, S John said:

I know it pretty much rolls off of us at this point but this guy really is a disgrace.  Even if there was no coordination between Trump and Fox, it really does feel below the office to be tweeting to America to ‘be sure to tune in!’  

Like, what the fuck do you think your job is man?  There really is a child running the country right now, and some children might actually do a better job.

13 minutes ago, Notone said:

Of course. NY has the famous five families (Bonanno, Colombo, Gambino, Lucchese, Genovese). And Sean Hannity is infamously bananas and gives DC four families (Clinton, Comey, Mueller and Obamas).  Just a normal day at Fox News and the Trump administration.

Archived