Cobra Kai

GoTCannibal

11 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Daniel LaRusso was always the villain.

I have to wonder, was this a thing before HIMYM? Or did Barney really start all of this? :)

21 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I've watched a few of these and I'm not going to lie it is pretty compelling. And the trailers for this almost confirm it. A successful businessman is going to try and stop a small business owner from operating seems pretty villainous.

31 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

A successful businessman is going to try and stop a small business owner from operating seems pretty villainous.

OMG I'm absolutely ready for this!  I've written a review of it and basically call dany bag dany and johnny huffing johnny (canisters near his empty beer.  

But based on the newest trailer it wouldn't surprise me if Johnny didn't kill his student..... :laugh::laugh:

45 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I think they're playing on the death of Mr. Miyagi and Daniel's success and Johnny as a comeback kid.  Daniel still sees Johnny as the bully from 30 years ago while Johnny's just trying to get his life back on track.  I could be really fun.

And I like how all the Cobra Kai's seem to be kids who are bullied instead of those doing the bullying.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

I think it's true that neither were as good or bad as we initially thought and i do remember Daniel being strangely antagonistic for a kid claiming to be the victimised. No that he deserved being beaten up by a gang of kids. It does make the Kobra Kai show seem fairly plausible and I could imagine Larusso being someone who'd provoke even after all this time.

I also like Community's take on KArate kid

Johnny wasn't really the bad guy either, it's Kreese who's the bad guy. 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. I always see Karate Kid on the tv then I'm really disappointed when it turns out to be the rubbish one with Will Smith's kid.

• 3 weeks later...

Karate Kid, the AARP edition! Seriously, do these guys ever age? Ralph Macchio still looks 30, but he's acting like he's still 16. He reminds me of Snape, who can't let go of something that happened many years ago. No doubt being bullied left a lifelong mark on him, but he's being a total jerk. 

So did they actually go with the dumb ass "Daniel was the villain!" interpretation? That shit pisses me off on the same level as all the "Daniel won with an illegal kick" crap. All it says to me is that the people making the argument didn't pay any actual attention to the movie.

2 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

So did they actually go with the dumb ass "Daniel was the villain!" interpretation? That shit pisses me off on the same level as all the "Daniel won with an illegal kick" crap. All it says to me is that the people making the argument didn't pay any actual attention to the movie.

These same people are also flat earthers

Daniel's not the villain in the show. He's kinda the same as he was in the first movie- a mostly well-intentioned guy who's a successful businessman, and loving husband and father. He's just got a bit of a temper and can be self righteous and smug at times.

Johnny's turned into an alcoholic deadbeat dad asshole who slowly redeems himself over the course of the show. His brand of toxic masculinity is actually helpful for the 'losers' who join his dojo, but it goes too far towards the end and even he realizes it.

I guess that's a spoiler, but the major plot points and character beats are fairly well telegraphed.

Archived