La casa de papel [Money heist]

Veltigar

I finished watching season 2 yesterday.I felt really sorry for the lady cop.The professor is an asshole.Who was your favourite character? I'm wondering whether there will be a 3rd season given how season 2 ended with the story pretty much wrapping up.I guess they could do another robbery in some other country? :D

On 11-4-2018 at 9:27 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I finished watching season 2 yesterday.I felt really sorry for the lady cop.The professor is an asshole.Who was your favourite character? I'm wondering whether there will be a 3rd season given how season 2 ended with the story pretty much wrapping up.I guess they could do another robbery in some other country? :D

Thank God for your comment, because I didn't even know there was a season 2 already out :D According to IMDB, a second season is coming in 2018 and it says that no episodes have been released yet (Netflix cut up the episodes differently, which is why they have two seasons while originally it was just one long season). I don't see how they can continue, but if these writers have some fresh ideas, I would love to see them :D

My favourite character is definitely Berlin. Although Denver and Moscow also greatly pleased me. And Helsinki was funny as hell. 

Spoiler

I wonder how I would feel about another season without Berlin. The actor was really magnetic, one of the best anti-heroes/villains I have ever seen. I'll miss his stealy presence and he gave a great rendition of Bella Ciao :D He went out like a total badass as well. I knew some sort of final sacrifice was due, but it was still incredibly satisfying to see him go at it. 

I also wonder how he's related to the professor. He called him little brother, but it's a bit strange that the police didn't figure out that Annibal might have kin working with him. 

About the professor and lady cop

Spoiler

I didn't much care for their drama in the end. I saw it as a pretty necessary evil to get to the good stuff (i.e. everything about the actual heist). The professor is by far the weakest link of the entire series (he's a bit of a Gary Stu really) and I didn't really buy Raquel consistently getting fooled by him. It was okay in the beginning, but near the end of the second season (or the first if you watched them in Spain itself), when we really spend a lot of time focussed solely on them the weaknesses were really showing.

On 11-4-2018 at 10:09 PM, Astromech said:

I was debating watching this series before canceling Netflix for the season. I'll have to check it out once I renew.

You definitely should. It has great characters, engaging action and proper writing. More series should be as ambitious as this one :) 

‘Money Heist’: Netflix Confirms Season 3 Of Spanish-Language Phenomenon

Netflix has confirmed a third round of its most-watched non-English-language series, La Casa de Papel. Known outside Spanish-speaking markets as Money Heist, the next installment will be exclusively produced for the streaming service. The Spanish series’ original creator, Alex Pina, is also returning for Part 3, which will run in 2019.

Work travel, sick, still traveling -- haven't had any time to watch anything.  Or read anything either, except for work.  I hope I remember this one, when things slow down next month.

Finished season 2 yesterday, so some spoilers ahead.

Spoiler

I actually like the Professor, and i liked how he was always one step ahead of the police. He did spend years coming up with the plan, so it makes sense. But also he was super lucky some times. The full voice message, the conveninent coma, the convenient memory loss etc.
It was werid how Raquel did a very quick 180 turn, and decided to help the robbers. And how in love can you be with someone that you know for 5 days, and give up your daughter for him? Except, maybe in the last scene she is undercover, and finds Sergio in order to capture him.

Also, does anyone else find Tokyo to be an extremely annoying character? And she was introduced as a protagonist of the show. The only thing she did was to utterly destroy the plan and cause harm. I mean her stupid decision caused even the death of Moscow! how hard was it to not storm into the place with a bike and just wait for the professor a little longer?

• 1 month later...

Alright i'm only a few episodes in and it's very watchable so far.

Tokyo and Rio are really annoying the piss out of me. So far they've messed up in every possible way. 1. Starting a relationship. 2. Tokyo is extremely lucky not to have killed the first response police. 3. Bickering while the teen girl made contact with the outside. 4. Already getting identified by the cops. 5. Tokyo shooting the cameras because Rio was (rightly) beaten for putting the whole heist in jeopardy.

Maybe it will come in later episodes, but I don't see what Tokyo even brings to the table. If Berlin was half as ruthless as he's being portrayed so far he would have executed those two liabilities, or at the very least benched them to menial tasks where they can't do any more damage to the plan.

I'm just starting the second season of el Ministerio del Tiempo for my Spanish tv watching.  It's so watchable.

I'm sure this one is as good as you all say but heist flix aren't much my cuppa.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

I'm just starting the second season of el Ministerio del Tiempo for my Spanish tv watching.  It's so watchable.

I'm sure this one is as good as you all say but heist flix aren't much my cuppa.

Yes, I watched the three seasons of El Ministerio, they are quite entertaining!

17 hours ago, Zorral said:

heh.Well that a coincidence.i've finished the first two episodes of season 1 and it's pretty fun and enjoyable.Learning a bit of history too! :D

2 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

heh.Well that a coincidence.i've finished the first two episodes of season 1 and it's pretty fun and enjoyable.Learning a bit of history too! :D

I do find their treatment of Spanish history so much fun.  I particularly loved the comment in the finale by the head of the ministry, when Julian isn't showing up for the mission briefing, "Spain's greatest disease is tardiness."  Because, famously, all along, particularly in the era of Phillip II, the Spanish fleet always sailed too late in the season, held back by Phillip's fussyness and suspicion, whether to take on the Ottoman's in their 16th C drive to dominate the western Mediterranean as well as the eastern (and thereby stage conquests into Europe), or to sail the armada against England.  The only time the fleet wasn't late was under his illegitimate son, Juan, who really was the hero of Lepanto (along with some others), and as it was, due to Phillip, the fleet barely was where it needed to be when it needed to be.

Beyond that I'm quite in awe how elegantly they fold each character's personal pasts and presents together in each episode, and keeping the touch pitch-perfect. That's quite an achievement.

8 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Yes, El Ministerio is really good. I really hope they continue with season 4. In theory they should. One of the protagonists' ending in season 3 is quite unexpected, and I'd like to see what he/she is been doing in between s3-s4, given where his/her new story is heading to...

And I've just been recommended to watch "La casa de Papel". So right now I don't have much time bc I'm currently watching some other shows, but it's on my list.

I kinda think to be polite I should start an el Ministerio del Tiempo thread for itself.  Because I just watched the first ep of the second season, and Holy Cow!  What a good story they told -- and then ---

Spoiler

I'm kinda guessing that Julian has gone to Cooba . . . .

But one rather doubts there are enough persons here watching this to make such a thread worthwhile.  So I promise I'll stop talking about el Ministerio in la Casa del Papelle, coz that's rude. Thank you for your patience.  I'm not snarking when I say that.

White flag white flag I give up on Money Heist / La case de papel. One of the few shows i've quit (and I made it all the way through Sons of Anarchy and Dexter)

It's garbage, plain and simple. Too much stupidity and sensationalism. Too many annoying characters making idiotic choices. Hell, it seemed like the robbers spent more time pointing their guns at one another than anything else - every episode it seemed like.

The only decent characters were Berlin and Moscow. The narrator, Tokyo was a hotheaded fool with no area of expertise and whose every significant involvement put the whole heist at risk.  Even the supposedly super intelligent Professor makes so many bad choices and errors because the plot requires it for dramatic effect, and so that they can cram another sex scene in there.

Watching this show is similar to watching a shitty Horror movie littered with tropes and stupidity, and it's non stop, in the end it became too irritating to finish.

On 5/30/2018 at 12:33 AM, Zorral said:

I kinda think to be polite I should start an el Ministerio del Tiempo thread for itself.  Because I just watched the first ep of the second season, and Holy Cow!  What a good story they told -- and then ---

Reveal hidden contents

I'm kinda guessing that Julian has gone to Cooba . . . .

But one rather doubts there are enough persons here watching this to make such a thread worthwhile.  So I promise I'll stop talking about el Ministerio in la Casa del Papelle, coz that's rude. Thank you for your patience.  I'm not snarking when I say that.

Oh yes, I think it would be a great idea to start one! It's on Netflix worldwide after all! In fact I had thought of starting one myself, so if you do, I'll comment there and not here. (This is for the other show).

Oh...there will be more surprises and stories!...

Spoiler

looks so...that he could have gone there ...:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Just finished this and I really enjoyed it. As far as favorite characters go I agree with what others have said about Berlin being the best part of the show. Really fun character. I liked Nairobi a lot, too.

Both Raquel and Monica falling in love so fast and helping the gang in the end was a bit much

but the rest of the show was so good I’ll cut them some slack on all the convenient plot twists and far fetched character decisions. No idea what they’re going to do with a third season, but I’ll definitely watch it. 

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived