Outlandish Theories

Brynden Blackfyre

56 minutes ago, LordImp said:

I have a theory on Asshai: 

A ancient race harnessed the powers of the volcanoes . This gave them great controll over fire and might be connected to the origins of dragons . 

But one day they discovered another form of fire magic, shadow magic. Shadow can be considered the dark side of fire.

The ancient Asshai'i prefered shadow over natural fire and eventually the shadow came out of controll. It started to corrupt the enviorment and the ones who used this magic was corrupted into demons. 

You can compare the shadow with Tolkien's unlight . Unlight is a twisted terrible form of darkness. 

It became so terrible that it needed to be fought back and contained. This was the eastern theatre of the Long night and Azor Ahai was the hero who saved Asshai from the shadow. 

Melisandre says that the Wall and Asshai are hinges of the world. Imo the hinges are something the world needs to survive. If the Wall falls the Others attack and might destroy mankind . 

I think it's the same thing with Asshai. It serves the same purpose as the Wall. I suggest that Asshai is what stopping the shadow from spreading and the Shadowbinders are the ones containing the shadow , they are binding the shadow to one place . 

Maybe that's why Quathie wants Dany to Asshai , so that she can defeat the shadow once and for all. 

If Quathie is Shiera Seastar then it is a nice paralell with Bloodraven. The two siblings are working to save the world from destructive forces. 

Interesting theory.  I hope we learn more about Asshai in the books.

I think that Arya in the end will rule the Riverlands.  She has spent so much time there and I don't think her story is finished there (since Nymeria is still there).  And GRMM is still writing about the Riverlands even though Arya isn't there anymore.

Varys knows something about Gendry because he saved him and he didn't need to.  I know that bastards are useful but there is a perfectly good acknowledged bastard in Edric Storm.  Varys didn't need to save Gendry.  Varys either knows something or he just had a bout of conscience.  But the first (and only) bastard that he saved is Gendry.

9 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Actually no. Quai and dock are two different things in French. No one would call the famous "Quais de la Seine", "Dock of the Seine".

In French a dock is a basin surrounded by quays used to load/unload ships, when a "quai" is the masonry work raised along a stream or in a port, used to moor boats.

Google translates 'quai' as dock, and as example of this word used in a sentence, gives 'Une promenade sur les quais de Montréal' which it translates as 'A walk on the docks of Montreal'. And from English 'The dock of Seyne' to French 'Le quai de Seyne'.

So basically 'quai' is some structure near water, same as pier or ghaut, which in Japanese sounds as shiera. So it doesn't matter, what's the difference between dock, pier, etc., what matters is that both are water connected structures, used for mooring boats/ships or something similar, thus Quaithe is Shiera. Also their names are not the only link between them.

37 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Google translates 'quai' as dock, and as example of this word used in a sentence, gives 'Une promenade sur les quais de Montréal' which it translates as 'A walk on the docks of Montreal'. And from English 'The dock of Seyne' to French 'Le quai de Seyne'.

We would use "quays" or "quayside" in English, though (and we do, for both of those examples). A dock is for mooring ships; a quay is for loading and unloading them. The difference may be subtle, but it's significant.

To add an outlandish theory: I think Ashara Dayne is just dead.

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

If Quaithe wants Daenerys to go to Asshai, shouldn't she sell it a little harder? 

Like you, most of us seem to agree with Daenerys that Quaithe was advising her to go to Asshai to gain knowledge...

Asshai, Dany thought. She would have me go to Asshai. "Will the Asshaii give me an army? she demanded. Will there be gold for me in Asshai? Will there be ships? What is there in Asshai that I will not find in Qarth?"

"Truth," said the woman in the mask. And bowing, she faded back into the crowd.

But Quaithe never actually advised Daenerys to go to Asshai. In fact, she would later advise Daenerys to remember who she is: the blood of The Dragon. That suggests that she should go to Westeros. Rather, Quaithe suggested that Daenerys would not find truth in Qarth.

True. But she said Dany will find truth in Asshai . I should perhaps specified that in my theory. 

21 hours ago, Megorova said:

Le more in Italian, le mûre in French, la mora in Spanish, morum in Latin - blackberry.

Didn't you had a theory, that blackberries are a hint to Blackfyres?

Nice! But also 'la mort' - death. Black blood and blackberries go together.

ETA

My outlandish theory:

Littlefinger gets a heroic ending, abandoning his crazy fantasy about Sansa, and going back to his first love, now Lady Stoneheart.

1 hour ago, By Odin's Beard said:

Also, Lemore is very close to Lenore, from the Edgar Allen Poe's the Raven, the narrator's dead lover, who the raven (a messenger from the underworld) is taunting that he will never see again.

That's good too. I once tried to see if there was a death link with all the characters having the 'mor' sound in their name. There were some good ones:

• Septa Mordane: bony face, and a thin lipless mouth - like a skull in fact
  • Ser Mandon Moore: the kingsguard with the 'dead eyes', death in white silk etc
  • Mors Umber: looked so completely dead that a crow started to eat his eye
  • Mord: torturer, runs the sky cells

For the rest, all you can say is that there's a lot of characters, and a lot of death.

1 hour ago, Springwatch said:

That's good too. I once tried to see if there was a death link with all the characters having the 'mor' sound in their name. There were some good ones:

• Septa Mordane: bony face, and a thin lipless mouth - like a skull in fact
  • Ser Mandon Moore: the kingsguard with the 'dead eyes', death in white silk etc
  • Mors Umber: looked so completely dead that a crow started to eat his eye
  • Mord: torturer, runs the sky cells

For the rest, all you can say is that there's a lot of characters, and a lot of death.

Hmm... Interesting. There might be a theory in this one.

On 4/13/2018 at 3:41 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

If Quaithe wants Daenerys to go to Asshai, shouldn't she sell it a little harder? 

Like you, most of us seem to agree with Daenerys that Quaithe was advising her to go to Asshai to gain knowledge...

Asshai, Dany thought. She would have me go to Asshai. "Will the Asshaii give me an army? she demanded. Will there be gold for me in Asshai? Will there be ships? What is there in Asshai that I will not find in Qarth?"

"Truth," said the woman in the mask. And bowing, she faded back into the crowd.

But Quaithe never actually advised Daenerys to go to Asshai. In fact, she would later advise Daenerys to remember who she is: the blood of The Dragon. That suggests that she should go to Westeros. Rather, Quaithe suggested that Daenerys would not find truth in Qarth.

Truth is the name of a missing Valyrian Steel sword as well. If memory serves, it was the sword of the Rogare family, from which Dany is descended. 

I do three outlandish theories before breakfast, but I think my most outlandish may be that Azor Ahai's dragon was named Rubilaxes. Basically, Lightbringer is the Unholy Grail/anti-Excalibur. Excalibur<->rubilacxe->rublilaxec->Rublilaxes. To round out breakfast, AA's father was named Rhaellor and his mother was Valerys.

What's for lunch?

Archived