Outlandish Theories

Brynden Blackfyre

1. Quaithe is Shiera Seastar. And also she is the three-eyed crow. Hints:

• "Drogo held her in strong arms, and his hand stroked her sex and opened her and woke that sweet wetness that was his alone, and the stars smiled down on them, stars in a daylight sky."

• "Ghosts lined the hallway, dressed in the faded raiment of kings. In their hands were swords of pale fire. They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white, and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade. “Faster,” they cried, “faster, faster.” She raced, her feet melting the stone wherever they touched. “Faster!” the ghosts cried as one" - this is Targaryen Kings, they cried as one, because they were actually one person, that was near Dany at that moment, when she was giving birth to Rhaego. Quaithe/Shiera was urging Dany to push. That entire fevered dream was about Dany's labour. Shiera had silver-gold hair. But she's already over 100 years old, so even though she's using blood magic to stay young (confirmed by Egg in The Mystery Knight novel, that Shiera was a shadowbinder, and user of blood magic), same as her mother did, it's likely that at least some of her hair turned platinum white. Shiera had mismatched eyes, one was blue, the other was green. The eye color of those Kings from Dany's dream were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opal#/media/File:Opal-53714.jpg

Opals are two-colored - green and blue together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amethyst#Hue_and_tone

One of possible secondary hues of amethysts is blue. Green quartz is sometimes incorrectly called green amethyst.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade#Unusual_varieties

Jades are mostly green. But there are also blue colored variety of jade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourmaline#Color

Lithium-rich tourmalines are almost any color, including blue and green. Bi-colored and multicolored crystals are common, reflecting variations of fluid chemistry during crystallization.

All four gemstones are stones that could be green or blue-colored, and two of them could even be blue and green simultaneosly, such as bi-colored tourmalines and natural opals. And ghost kings, that had eyes colored like those gemstones, in Dany's dream were crying as one. It's an obvious hint to Shiera Seastar, with her Targaryen blood, their silver-gold hair, and her bi-colored green and blue eyes. And there were also smiling and whispering stars in that dream, which is also a hint to Shiera Seastar.

• "After that, for a long time, there was only the pain, the fire within her, and the whisperings of stars."

• "She dreamed. All her cares fell away from her, and all her pains as well, and she seemed to float upward into the sky. She was flying once again, spinning, laughing, dancing, as the stars wheeled around her and whispered secrets in her ear. “To go north, you must journey south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward, you must go back. To touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow.”

“Quaithe?” Dany called. “Where are you, Quaithe?”

Then she saw. Her mask is made of starlight. “Remember who you are, Daenerys,” the stars whispered in a woman’s voice. “The dragons know. Do you?” " - Shiera also loved star accessories. Her favourite jewellery was silver necklace, with star sapphires and star emeralds.

• "The woman in the lacquered wooden mask said in the Common Tongue of the Seven Kingdoms, “I am Quaithe of the Shadow. We come seeking dragons.” " - when there were other people in Essos, that were able to speak language of Westeros, they usually explained how they know it. But Quaithe didn't. And Dany didn't thought about Quaithe's accent, which means that Quaithe probably didn't had an accent. Which means that it's her first language. Quaithe is from Asshai, which doesn't mean that she was born there, or originally from there, and not from Westeros. And Shiera was a shadowbinder. Egg said that she's dancing with demons, which actually means that she danced with shadows, same as Mirri Mazz Duur. And same as Melisandre used ruby bracelet, to create a shadow mask for Mance, Shiera concealed a shadow in moonstone brooch, with usage of which Bloodraven wore shadow-mask of Maynard Plumm, in The Mystery Knight novel. From the very beginning of that novel, that guy was actually Bloodraven.

• "Dany had not noticed Quaithe in the crowd, yet there she stood, eyes wet and shiny behind the implacable red lacquer mask." - moisture in eyes is salty, like sea water. Wet and shiny eyes are like sea stars. Another connection between Quaithe and Seastar.

• " “I can’t fly,” Bran said. “I can’t, I can’t…”

How do you know! Have you ever tried!

The voice was high and thin." - females have high and thin voices.

• "The crow opened its beak and cawed at him, a shrill scream of fear, and the grey mists shuddered and swirled around him and ripped away like a veil, and he saw that the crow was really a woman" - written in plain text.

• Coldhands called Bloodraven a wizard. Bloodraven and Shiera are parallels to Merlin and Morgana. Morgana was Merlin's lover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_le_Fay

The earliest spelling of the name (found in Geoffrey of Monmouth's Vita Merlini, written c. 1150) is Morgen, which is likely derived from Old Welsh or Old Breton Morgen, meaning "Sea-born".

In Vita Merlini, he describes this island in more detail and names Morgen as the chief of nine magical queen sisters who dwell there, capable of shapeshifting and flying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_of_the_Lake

"the infant Lancelot was spirited away to a lake by a water fairy (merfeine in Old High German) and raised in her country of Meidelant ("Land of Maidens", an island in the sea inhabited by ten thousand maidens who live in perpetual happiness); the fairy queen and her paradise island are reminiscent of Geoffrey of Monmouth's Morgen of the Island of Avallon in his Vita Merlini. "

"She refuses to give him her love until he has taught her all his secrets, after which she uses her power to trap him either in the trunk of a tree or beneath a stone, depending on the story and author.[citation needed] Though Merlin, through his power of foresight knows beforehand that this will happen, he is unable to counteract Viviane because of the "truth" this ability of foresight holds. He decides to do nothing for his situation other than to continue to teach her his secrets until she takes the opportunity to entrap and entomb him in a tree, a stone or a cave."

So it's possible that it was Shiera, the three-eyed crow, that lured Bloodraven to that tree cave of the Children, and binded him to a weirwood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Morrígan

Morrigan is a Crow Goddess, and she's also a phantom queen, like Shiera Seastar is a three-eyed crow and shadowbinder.

"There have been attempts by some modern authors of fiction to link Morgan le Fay with the Morrígan. Morgan first appears in Geoffrey of Monmouth's Vita Merlini "The Life of Merlin" in the 12th century. In these Arthurian legends, such as Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Morgan is portrayed as an evil hag whose actions set into motion a bloody trail of events that lead the hero into numerous instances of danger. Morgan is also depicted as a seductress, much like the older legends of the goddess and has numerous sexual encounters with Merlin. The character is frequently depicted of wielding power over others to achieve her own purposes, allowing those actions to play out over time, to either the benefit or detriment of other characters."

Morgan, making Sir Gawain to set on his journey, could be a parallel to the tree-eyed crow making Bran to travel north. And Quaithe, giving her recomendations to Dany, also similar to how Morgana used her powers and knowledge, to influence actions and lives of other people. Morgan was Merlin's lover, and Shiera was Bloodraven's lover. Phantom queen Morrigan was able to shapeshift, turn into crow and fly. So maybe shadowbinder Shiera is the three-eyed crow.

I think that her red mask is made of weirwood, and painted with blood, or red wierwood sap. There was another woman in ASOIAF, that same as Quaithe, was wearing a mask - wildlings witch Morna. Mor is a "sea" in Welsh. So Morna's name and her mask is a hint, that maybe other woman from the books, that is also wearing a mask, has name that also means sea - Shiera Seastar.

Maybe Quaithe is wearing that mask, because she has a typical Valyrian and Targaryen features, or maybe because there's a star, or a third bloody eye, carved in her forehead. Another word for forehead is brow, in one of visions Dany saw this - "Mirri Maz Duur shrieked in the flames, a dragon bursting from her brow." I think that when Mirri was studing in Asshai, one of her teachers was Quaithe. And thus when she was performing that blood magic ritual, and when things went not as planned, with that outbreak of Dothraki, Mirri had to summon Quaithe, and maester Marwyn, and they helped Dany to deliver her baby. And then Mirri stayed behind, even though she knew, that she will be burned. "Dany called out for the men of her khas and bid them take Mirri Maz Duur and bind her hand and foot, but the maegi smiled at her as they carried her off, as if they shared a secret." Quaithe, thru Mirri's sacrifice, helped Dany to hatch her dragons.

2. Dawn sword of Daynes is the Lightbringer. Currently it is hidden in crypts under Winterfell. Jon is Azor Ahai. He and that sword is a parellel to the legend about King Arthur and sword Excalibur. According to some legends that sword was drawn by Arthur from stone, and according to other sources it was given to him by Lady of the Lake. And according to Melisandre's prophecy Azor Ahai will draw the sword from fire. So I think that Jon will draw the sword from stone, from Lyanna's statue. Where it was hidden on request of Ashara Dayne, that is actually alive, and for the last 15 years was using name Jyana Reed. She's wife of Howland Reed, who is Lord of Greywater Watch. Thus Jyana/Ashara is the Lady of the Lake. Jon will find that sword in crypts, when they will be on fire, because some of Starks there will rise as wights, which Jon saw in his nightmares. So there will be a combination of all three sources - receiving sword, as a gift from the Lady of the Lake, drawing sword from stone, and drawing sword from fire.

3. Rhaego is alive. His kidnapping by Dothraki was first out of three treasons, the one for blood. Rhaego will become second dragonrider after Dany, his dragon will be Rhaegel. Dany and her son will be reunited in Vaes Dothrak. Unless he was taken by Quaithe to Asshai. Either way in Vaes Dothrak Dany will find out what really happened with her baby. It was definitely born alive. 

My outlandish theory is that Qyburn attached Robert Baratheon's head to Gregor Clegane's body.   Hence the name Robert Strong who was also known for fathering 16 bastards.  Woe to Cersei when that chicken comes home to roost.

4 hours ago, Brynden Blackfyre said:

This is the 'Outlandish Theories' topic, feel free to post any theories. Make sure you do not post show spoilers and follow the sites rules. Please make no personal attacks.

Oh sweet summer child with a low post count. revisit this thread after you have poked around for a while 

3 hours ago, zandru said:

How does this differ from every other topic?

seriously 

My Craster is a Casterly/Lannister research is leading me down a dark, dark path of crackpottery. A good crackpot is fun, but I rarely sign on, so this sorta hurts. I’m keeping the door open to my missing something obvious which makes it all a bit more low-key.

Illyrio is really Gerion Lannister who is also the Shrouded Lord. His ruby ring and keeping to R’hllor may involve a partial glamour at least. Gerion is linked to cheesemongers and spicelords (Spicers). The Lannisters might well be under a blood curse because of their gold hence Gerion (and maybe Tommen before him) being Shrouded Lord. There's a Geryon in Greek myth who is really 3 people. He has cattle and who knows, may also be a cheesemonger. Illyrio looks like Tytos Lannister.

Above him loomed a grotesque fat man with a forked yellow beard, holding a wooden mallet and an iron chisel. His bedrobe was large enough to serve as a tourney pavilion, but its loosely knotted belt had come undone, exposing a huge white belly and a pair of heavy breasts that sagged like sacks of suet covered with coarse yellow hair. He reminded Tyrion of a dead sea cow that had once washed up in the caverns under Casterly Rock. 

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/Herakles/cattle.html

This may not mean quite what we think it means:

"Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds," she said. "And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

There may be a race of Shrouded Lord figures, not just one. Varys’ cell as Rugen which is waterlogged and mildew point this direction as does his powdered damp hands. The reader first sees Illyrio rising from a well.

There are stonemen under Casterly Rock and possibly Oldtown and this is why the Valyrians stayed away and Casterly Rock gold is cursed.

We have a lot more to learn about Tywin and Pycelle.

Craster’s gold ring around his wrist is tied to Casterly Rock somehow. It's important.

The Reynes of Castamere will be very relevant to the future books. Maggy the Frog’s family uses similar naming to the Reynes, there was a Robb Reyne perhaps implying Robb Stark marrying into the Reynes (whoa Nelly The Rains of Castamere playing at the Red Wedding). If so, Jaime just gave Castamere back to the Reynes. Ellyn Reyne (likely a sorceress) was maybe not killed. She may have been Tytos’ mistress in disguise and had a bastard child, LF. LF tells Sansa her name Alayne is for his mother. Alayne is a variation of Ellyn. Maggy the Frog may be Ellyn of the “little brother" lion Reynes.

Joff may have been part of a ritual sacrifice. Child sacrifice looms large with Craster and also the Lannisters. Take another gander at Tywin and that sword at the Purple Wedding. Ilyn no longer carries it.

Gold will play a role involving the Others (Craster’s gold ring and Garin’s gold cage).

I used to think in terms of Starks/Targs as the big thing in the series, but now am leaning towards the Lannisters playing a huge part in the magical part of the story, too. Don’t know how, but am suspecting that I’ll be blindsided.

1. Septa Lemore is Lady Jeyne Swann, from entry of Barristan Selmy in White Book. And she's fAegon's mother.

2. Johanna Swann, the Black Swan of Lys, was mother of Larra Rogare.

3. Serenei of Lys is Larra Rogare. And thus Shiera Seastar is a product of incest between mother and son.

4. Rhaegel will be Rhaego's dragon, and Viseryon will be Jon Snow's dragon. And both of those dragons are females. Drogon is male.

5. Drogon's egg is egg from Whitewalls, described in The Mystery Knight novel. Could be that over time dragon eggs can change their coloring. The egg at Whitewalls was red with black swirls and golden flecks, while Drogon's egg was mostly black with red. Could be that over time, black swirls spread over egg's surface, and black color became prevalent.

Maybe the Tragedy at Summerhall was caused by Blackfyres and Brackens, and they stole dragon eggs of Targaryens, including that red and black from Whitewalls. Then Varys, who is a Blackfyre, gave those eggs to Illyrio, who later gave them as a wedding gift to Dany. Blackfyres kept those eggs for several decades, but they were unable to hatch them. Because those were eggs of Targaryen dragons. So they gave them to Dany, hoping that maybe she will manage to hatch them. Though they didn't believed in that.

6. When Larra Rogare left Viserys and Westeros, she was pregnant. While she was married with Viserys, she gave birth to a son, then to a daughter, and then to a son again. So her fourth child was a girl. Later that girl married with Archon of Tyrosh, and their daughter was Rohanna of Tyrosh, that married with Daemon I Blackfyre. Thus Daemon and Rohanna were first cousins, thru their grandmother Larra Rogare. Larra was half-Swann, thus all Targaryens and Blackfyres are partially Swanns.

7. Gerold Dayne and Balon Swann are agents of Varys.

8. Robyn Arryn is son of Littlefinger.

9. Littlefinger was one of Varys' little birds. He's using mockingbird as his personal sigil, as a mockery over Varys, whom he managed to trick.

10. The Ghost of High Heart is Rohanne Webber-Lannister, Tyrion's great grandmother.

11. Illyrio's second wife, Serra of Lys was a Blackfyre, and Varys' younger sister.

12. Tattered Prince is either Rodrik Stark the Wandering Wolf, or his son.

13. Jenny of Oldstones was fifth child of Gerold Lannister and Rohanne Webber. Maybe she was kidnapped by Blackfyres, during Tragedy at Summerhall. If Rohanne is the Ghost of Hight Heart, then she's a powerful witch and prophet. And her gift is passed only thru female line. So Blackfyres and Brackens kidnapped Jenny. Probably later she married with one of Blackfyres, and thus Varys, who is a Blackfyre, is partially Lannister.

ACOK, Tyrion III: "Tyrion let the eunuch help him mount. “Lord Varys,” he said from the saddle, “sometimes I feel as though you are the best friend I have in King’s Landing, and sometimes I feel you are my worst enemy.”

“How odd. I think quite the same of you.” "

14. Pretty Meris is Wenda the White Fawn from the Kingswood Brotherhood. Ulmer from Night's Watch will recognize her, when they will meet in Westeros.

15. And my favourite crackpot theory ^_^ - Barristan Selmy is a descendant of Aenys Blackfyre, either his son, or granson. And also he is father of fAegon, whose mother is septa Lemore/Jeyne Swann.

8 hours ago, LynnS said:

My outlandish theory is that Qyburn attached Robert Baratheon's head to Gregor Clegane's body.   Hence the name Robert Strong who was also known for fathering 16 bastards.  Woe to Cersei when that chicken comes home to roost.

I like this. Better than Greywind's head on him.

5 hours ago, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

Mance is Rhaegar.

Rhaegar was originally Mance.

Mance is Rhaegar's alter ego.

I'll go you one better. Mance is Rhaegar's twin brother. His looks and lack of height are due to recessive genes from Westerosi families that married in. Fearing a potential war between his twin sons, Aerys (possibly on the advice of Tywin and/or Pycelle) shipped the younger, less Targaryen-looking boy north of the Wall, arranging for him to be "found" by the Night's Watch sometime after he was weaned, and raised among them near his great-uncle Aemon. 

5 hours ago, Megorova said:

8. Robyn Arryn is son of Littlefinger.

14. Pretty Meris is Wenda the White Fawn from the Kingswood Brotherhood. Ulmer from Night's Watch will recognize her, when they will meet in Westeros.

8 is not so crackpot. Little Robert doesn't have either the Arryn or Tully looks, and we know LF isn't above sleeping with Lysa to get her to do what he wants.

14 also not necessarily crackpot and would be a nice twist.

8 hours ago, LynnS said:

I do remember a theory where it’s not Robert’s head but Robb Stark’s head. Joffrey did make a request for the head to be sent to King’s Landing...

Theories I believe: 

Littlefinger caused Robert’s Rebellion by witnessing and subsequently informing Brandon Stark of Lyanna’s abduction (if Lyanna went willingly), either to stop Brandon and Catelyn’s wedding or to get Brandon killed knowing how Brandon reacts to things and Aerys reacts to things. When the Rebellion broke out and Catelyn married Ned, Littlefinger realized the power of words and started planning the downfall of Houses Stark and Tully for their rejection of him.

Pypar is a bastard of House Florent. He’s the only lowborn supporting character described to have large ears. What is House Florent typically described as having? Large ears. 

The weirdest theory I’ve heard? That Bonifer Hasty had a full-blown affair with Rhaella Targaryen and the product is Rhaegar. 

Now for one of my favorites...

Gerold Dayne, the Darkstar (or Dorkstar, if you prefer). Who is he, this "of the night" guy with whom Arianne could have had children as beautiful as dragonlords? We have it from Ran that Darkstar is no one's bastard. The guy is associated with venom, says he was weaned on it, Doran thinks him the most dangerous man in Dorne, he has a widow's peak and silver hair with a streak of black. He is not of Starfall, but of High Hermitage.

Several lovely ideas have been shot down, the most fun of which having been that he and Viserys Targaryen were switched at/near birth/weaning. Sadly, Darkstar is too old to be Viserys.

Crackpot #1. You know what would make more sense? If he's the only son, and only legitimate child of Oberyn Martell, from a secret marriage to a lady of House Dayne of High Hermitage. Why would Oberyn marry someone secretly? Beats me. Couldn't get permission from her father maybe. Why would he marry anyone anyway? Again, don't know. But this would make Darkstar a legitimate potential claimant to Sunspear and the throne of Dorne. That and the whole weaned on venom, son of the viper, badass would-be assassin thing, combine nicely to make him dangerous. Because as of the text we have, I'm not seeing him as dangerous unless he knows something major that would interfere with all of Doran's plans.

Crackpot #2. Darkstar is a Targaryen descendant of much more recent blood than the Martells. You know who he almost, kind of, a little bit reminds me of...if you add a ton of crazy and some more entitlement? Aerion. We don't have any idea what happened to Maegor, but even without him we've got Rhae and Daella's descendants out there somewhere.  Could be somebody married south. 

Crackpot #3. He's just a boring old Dayne, with no connection to anyone remotely interesting and Doran is lying when he says Gerold is the most dangerous man in Dorne. Personally, I find this one lacking in zest.

I got one about Melisandre, Stannis, and his army in ADWD. throughout that book, old northerners deciding to announce that they are "going hunting," during long winters and never coming back pops up, particularly in one of Arya's chapters. Also, Davos notices how much unnaturally older Stannis looks after not seeing him for a while before. What if Stannis and his northmen have all turned old through some kind of sorcery mishap on Melisandre's part. 

For most of them, this was probably going to be their winter hunt of no return anyway. for any younger ones, the oldness could have somehow infected them and soon it may be revealed how doomed they are. Stannis as well. Melisandre's chapter made it quite clear how unsure of herself and maybe her powers she is, and she mentioned something about the Wildlings being destined for extinction as a people; maybe those northern mountain clansmen are too.

9 hours ago, Megorova said:

1. Quaithe is Shiera Seastar.

That's not outlandish...

9 hours ago, Megorova said:

And also she is the three-eyed crow. Hints:

• "Drogo held her in strong arms, and his hand stroked her sex and opened her and woke that sweet wetness that was his alone, and the stars smiled down on them, stars in a daylight sky."

• "Ghosts lined the hallway, dressed in the faded raiment of kings. In their hands were swords of pale fire. They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white, and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade. “Faster,” they cried, “faster, faster.” She raced, her feet melting the stone wherever they touched. “Faster!” the ghosts cried as one" - this is Targaryen Kings, they cried as one, because they were actually one person, that was near Dany at that moment, when she was giving birth to Rhaego. Quaithe/Shiera was urging Dany to push. That entire fevered dream was about Dany's labour. Shiera had silver-gold hair. But she's already over 100 years old, so even though she's using blood magic to stay young (confirmed by Egg in The Mystery Knight novel, that Shiera was a shadowbinder, and user of blood magic), same as her mother did, it's likely that at least some of her hair turned platinum white. Shiera had mismatched eyes, one was blue, the other was green. The eye color of those Kings from Dany's dream were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opal#/media/File:Opal-53714.jpg

Opals are two-colored - green and blue together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amethyst#Hue_and_tone

One of possible secondary hues of amethysts is blue. Green quartz is sometimes incorrectly called green amethyst.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade#Unusual_varieties

Jades are mostly green. But there are also blue colored variety of jade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourmaline#Color

Lithium-rich tourmalines are almost any color, including blue and green. Bi-colored and multicolored crystals are common, reflecting variations of fluid chemistry during crystallization.

All four gemstones are stones that could be green or blue-colored, and two of them could even be blue and green simultaneosly, such as bi-colored tourmalines and natural opals. And ghost kings, that had eyes colored like those gemstones, in Dany's dream were crying as one. It's an obvious hint to Shiera Seastar, with her Targaryen blood, their silver-gold hair, and her bi-colored green and blue eyes. And there were also smiling and whispering stars in that dream, which is also a hint to Shiera Seastar.

• "After that, for a long time, there was only the pain, the fire within her, and the whisperings of stars."

• "She dreamed. All her cares fell away from her, and all her pains as well, and she seemed to float upward into the sky. She was flying once again, spinning, laughing, dancing, as the stars wheeled around her and whispered secrets in her ear. “To go north, you must journey south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward, you must go back. To touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow.”

“Quaithe?” Dany called. “Where are you, Quaithe?”

Then she saw. Her mask is made of starlight. “Remember who you are, Daenerys,” the stars whispered in a woman’s voice. “The dragons know. Do you?” " - Shiera also loved star accessories. Her favourite jewellery was silver necklace, with star sapphires and star emeralds.

• "The woman in the lacquered wooden mask said in the Common Tongue of the Seven Kingdoms, “I am Quaithe of the Shadow. We come seeking dragons.” " - when there were other people in Essos, that were able to speak language of Westeros, they usually explained how they know it. But Quaithe didn't. And Dany didn't thought about Quaithe's accent, which means that Quaithe probably didn't had an accent. Which means that it's her first language. Quaithe is from Asshai, which doesn't mean that she was born there, or originally from there, and not from Westeros. And Shiera was a shadowbinder. Egg said that she's dancing with demons, which actually means that she danced with shadows, same as Mirri Mazz Duur. And same as Melisandre used ruby bracelet, to create a shadow mask for Mance, Shiera concealed a shadow in moonstone brooch, with usage of which Bloodraven wore shadow-mask of Maynard Plumm, in The Mystery Knight novel. From the very beginning of that novel, that guy was actually Bloodraven.

• "Dany had not noticed Quaithe in the crowd, yet there she stood, eyes wet and shiny behind the implacable red lacquer mask." - moisture in eyes is salty, like sea water. Wet and shiny eyes are like sea stars. Another connection between Quaithe and Seastar.

• " “I can’t fly,” Bran said. “I can’t, I can’t…”

How do you know! Have you ever tried!

The voice was high and thin." - females have high and thin voices.

• "The crow opened its beak and cawed at him, a shrill scream of fear, and the grey mists shuddered and swirled around him and ripped away like a veil, and he saw that the crow was really a woman" - written in plain text.

• Coldhands called Bloodraven a wizard. Bloodraven and Shiera are parallels to Merlin and Morgana. Morgana was Merlin's lover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_le_Fay

The earliest spelling of the name (found in Geoffrey of Monmouth's Vita Merlini, written c. 1150) is Morgen, which is likely derived from Old Welsh or Old Breton Morgen, meaning "Sea-born".

In Vita Merlini, he describes this island in more detail and names Morgen as the chief of nine magical queen sisters who dwell there, capable of shapeshifting and flying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_of_the_Lake

"the infant Lancelot was spirited away to a lake by a water fairy (merfeine in Old High German) and raised in her country of Meidelant ("Land of Maidens", an island in the sea inhabited by ten thousand maidens who live in perpetual happiness); the fairy queen and her paradise island are reminiscent of Geoffrey of Monmouth's Morgen of the Island of Avallon in his Vita Merlini. "

"She refuses to give him her love until he has taught her all his secrets, after which she uses her power to trap him either in the trunk of a tree or beneath a stone, depending on the story and author.[citation needed] Though Merlin, through his power of foresight knows beforehand that this will happen, he is unable to counteract Viviane because of the "truth" this ability of foresight holds. He decides to do nothing for his situation other than to continue to teach her his secrets until she takes the opportunity to entrap and entomb him in a tree, a stone or a cave."

So it's possible that it was Shiera, the three-eyed crow, that lured Bloodraven to that tree cave of the Children, and binded him to a weirwood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Morrígan

Morrigan is a Crow Goddess, and she's also a phantom queen, like Shiera Seastar is a three-eyed crow and shadowbinder.

"There have been attempts by some modern authors of fiction to link Morgan le Fay with the Morrígan. Morgan first appears in Geoffrey of Monmouth's Vita Merlini "The Life of Merlin" in the 12th century. In these Arthurian legends, such as Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Morgan is portrayed as an evil hag whose actions set into motion a bloody trail of events that lead the hero into numerous instances of danger. Morgan is also depicted as a seductress, much like the older legends of the goddess and has numerous sexual encounters with Merlin. The character is frequently depicted of wielding power over others to achieve her own purposes, allowing those actions to play out over time, to either the benefit or detriment of other characters."

Morgan, making Sir Gawain to set on his journey, could be a parallel to the tree-eyed crow making Bran to travel north. And Quaithe, giving her recomendations to Dany, also similar to how Morgana used her powers and knowledge, to influence actions and lives of other people. Morgan was Merlin's lover, and Shiera was Bloodraven's lover. Phantom queen Morrigan was able to shapeshift, turn into crow and fly. So maybe shadowbinder Shiera is the three-eyed crow.

I think that her red mask is made of weirwood, and painted with blood, or red wierwood sap. There was another woman in ASOIAF, that same as Quaithe, was wearing a mask - wildlings witch Morna. Mor is a "sea" in Welsh. So Morna's name and her mask is a hint, that maybe other woman from the books, that is also wearing a mask, has name that also means sea - Shiera Seastar.

Maybe Quaithe is wearing that mask, because she has a typical Valyrian and Targaryen features, or maybe because there's a star, or a third bloody eye, carved in her forehead. Another word for forehead is brow, in one of visions Dany saw this - "Mirri Maz Duur shrieked in the flames, a dragon bursting from her brow." I think that when Mirri was studing in Asshai, one of her teachers was Quaithe. And thus when she was performing that blood magic ritual, and when things went not as planned, with that outbreak of Dothraki, Mirri had to summon Quaithe, and maester Marwyn, and they helped Dany to deliver her baby. And then Mirri stayed behind, even though she knew, that she will be burned. "Dany called out for the men of her khas and bid them take Mirri Maz Duur and bind her hand and foot, but the maegi smiled at her as they carried her off, as if they shared a secret." Quaithe, thru Mirri's sacrifice, helped Dany to hatch her dragons.

2. Dawn sword of Daynes is the Lightbringer. Currently it is hidden in crypts under Winterfell. Jon is Azor Ahai. He and that sword is a parellel to the legend about King Arthur and sword Excalibur. According to some legends that sword was drawn by Arthur from stone, and according to other sources it was given to him by Lady of the Lake. And according to Melisandre's prophecy Azor Ahai will draw the sword from fire. So I think that Jon will draw the sword from stone, from Lyanna's statue. Where it was hidden on request of Ashara Dayne, that is actually alive, and for the last 15 years was using name Jyana Reed. She's wife of Howland Reed, who is Lord of Greywater Watch. Thus Jyana/Ashara is the Lady of the Lake. Jon will find that sword in crypts, when they will be on fire, because some of Starks there will rise as wights, which Jon saw in his nightmares. So there will be a combination of all three sources - receiving sword, as a gift from the Lady of the Lake, drawing sword from stone, and drawing sword from fire.

3. Rhaego is alive. His kidnapping by Dothraki was first out of three treasons, the one for blood. Rhaego will become second dragonrider after Dany, his dragon will be Rhaegel. Dany and her son will be reunited in Vaes Dothrak. Unless he was taken by Quaithe to Asshai. Either way in Vaes Dothrak Dany will find out what really happened with her baby. It was definitely born alive. 

Oh, never mind. You go on, then. 

9 hours ago, Lollygag said:

My Craster is a Casterly/Lannister research is leading me down a dark, dark path of crackpottery. A good crackpot is fun, but I rarely sign on, so this sorta hurts. I’m keeping the door open to my missing something obvious which makes it all a bit more low-key.

Illyrio is really Gerion Lannister who is also the Shrouded Lord. His ruby ring and keeping to R’hllor may involve a partial glamour at least. Gerion is linked to cheesemongers and spicelords (Spicers). The Lannisters might well be under a blood curse because of their gold hence Gerion (and maybe Tommen before him) being Shrouded Lord. There's a Geryon in Greek myth who is really 3 people. He has cattle and who knows, may also be a cheesemonger. Illyrio looks like Tytos Lannister.

Above him loomed a grotesque fat man with a forked yellow beard, holding a wooden mallet and an iron chisel. His bedrobe was large enough to serve as a tourney pavilion, but its loosely knotted belt had come undone, exposing a huge white belly and a pair of heavy breasts that sagged like sacks of suet covered with coarse yellow hair. He reminded Tyrion of a dead sea cow that had once washed up in the caverns under Casterly Rock. 

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/Herakles/cattle.html

This may not mean quite what we think it means:

"Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds," she said. "And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

There may be a race of Shrouded Lord figures, not just one. Varys’ cell as Rugen which is waterlogged and mildew point this direction as does his powdered damp hands. The reader first sees Illyrio rising from a well.

There are stonemen under Casterly Rock and possibly Oldtown and this is why the Valyrians stayed away and Casterly Rock gold is cursed.

We have a lot more to learn about Tywin and Pycelle.

Craster’s gold ring around his wrist is tied to Casterly Rock somehow. It's important.

The Reynes of Castamere will be very relevant to the future books. Maggy the Frog’s family uses similar naming to the Reynes, there was a Robb Reyne perhaps implying Robb Stark marrying into the Reynes (whoa Nelly The Rains of Castamere playing at the Red Wedding). If so, Jaime just gave Castamere back to the Reynes. Ellyn Reyne (likely a sorceress) was maybe not killed. She may have been Tytos’ mistress in disguise and had a bastard child, LF. LF tells Sansa her name Alayne is for his mother. Alayne is a variation of Ellyn. Maggy the Frog may be Ellyn of the “little brother" lion Reynes.

Joff may have been part of a ritual sacrifice. Child sacrifice looms large with Craster and also the Lannisters. Take another gander at Tywin and that sword at the Purple Wedding. Ilyn no longer carries it.

Gold will play a role involving the Others (Craster’s gold ring and Garin’s gold cage).

I used to think in terms of Starks/Targs as the big thing in the series, but now am leaning towards the Lannisters playing a huge part in the magical part of the story, too. Don’t know how, but am suspecting that I’ll be blindsided.

I have a few crackpots that I kinda believe. 

47 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Now for one of my favorites...

Gerold Dayne, the Darkstar (or Dorkstar, if you prefer). Who is he, this "of the night" guy with whom Arianne could have had children as beautiful as dragonlords? We have it from Ran that Darkstar is no one's bastard. The guy is associated with venom, says he was weaned on it, Doran thinks him the most dangerous man in Dorne, he has a widow's peak and silver hair with a streak of black. He is not of Starfall, but of High Hermitage.

Several lovely ideas have been shot down, the most fun of which having been that he and Viserys Targaryen were switched at/near birth/weaning. Sadly, Darkstar is too old to be Viserys.

Crackpot #1. You know what would make more sense? If he's the only son, and only legitimate child of Oberyn Martell, from a secret marriage to a lady of House Dayne of High Hermitage. Why would Oberyn marry someone secretly? Beats me. Couldn't get permission from her father maybe. Why would he marry anyone anyway? Again, don't know. But this would make Darkstar a legitimate potential claimant to Sunspear and the throne of Dorne. That and the whole weaned on venom, son of the viper, badass would-be assassin thing, combine nicely to make him dangerous. Because as of the text we have, I'm not seeing him as dangerous unless he knows something major that would interfere with all of Doran's plans.

Crackpot #2. Darkstar is a Targaryen descendant of much more recent blood than the Martells. You know who he almost, kind of, a little bit reminds me of...if you add a ton of crazy and some more entitlement? Aerion. We don't have any idea what happened to Maegor, but even without him we've got Rhae and Daella's descendants out there somewhere.  Could be somebody married south. 

Crackpot #3. He's just a boring old Dayne, with no connection to anyone remotely interesting and Doran is lying when he says Gerold is the most dangerous man in Dorne. Personally, I find this one lacking in zest.

Yeah, baby! That's one of 'em. 

Archived