Generations - Not a Thing

Mlle. Zabzie

It really has no impact on my life whatsoever - only when someone calls me a millenial or insults young people do I feel any kind of defence against millenial. Otherwise I don' care. I was born in 94 and most of my fave bands, artists and films are anything from the 40s to 80s. Whilst I of course love lots of things from the 90s and 00s too. The Internet has enabled people my age to have consumed so much pop culture from other decades that I don' even thint it matters at all in that sense anymore. I feel like I can talk to people who are 25 years older than me just as easily as I can talk to people 5 years older and usually a lot easier than people 5 years YOUNGER. (Mostly because that would make them 18/19 year olds lol) 

But really I don't care about my age and relation to other people in terms of age that much.  There are some areas of life statistically more likely to be happening to people older than me like marriage and babies which I might not have any personal experience with but it isn't a bad thing. Like I said - doesn' mean much to me at all. 

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I always joke I have the movie and music taste of a 50 year old man lol. It is what it is :lol:

That's funny, I do the same, I've told people my taste in music is probably the same as their dads. It is good if you ever have to make conversation with a middle aged man. I have been in the funny situation where a middle aged person is into modern stuff and is asking me about hip hop and pop that I don't have a clue about, while I'm trying to bring up Talking Heads or Squeeze...

Though I'd actually say overall young people are more open minded about older music than older people are about new music- I went to a Patti Smith gig a couple of years ago (amazing) and there were loads of people my age. I've got a real determination not to turn into one of these older people who won't listen to anything released after they turned twenty five. 

1 hour ago, mankytoes said:

That's funny, I do the same, I've told people my taste in music is probably the same as their dads. It is good if you ever have to make conversation with a middle aged man. I have been in the funny situation where a middle aged person is into modern stuff and is asking me about hip hop and pop that I don't have a clue about, while I'm trying to bring up Talking Heads or Squeeze...

Though I'd actually say overall young people are more open minded about older music than older people are about new music- I went to a Patti Smith gig a couple of years ago (amazing) and there were loads of people my age. I've got a real determination not to turn into one of these older people who won't listen to anything released after they turned twenty five. 

I'm much more open to new music in genres I didn't listen to when I was a teen as I have gotten older.  Also, most pop music of any generation is crap.  There is some really good pop, and it survives, but a lot of it is really and truly craptastic, even if it was popular.

5 hours ago, mankytoes said:

Lol right. I work in hmv so I'm good at winging conversations like that and pretending I know the music people are talking about and I am pretty eclectic in my music taste (Def open minded) but there's nothing like genuinely gushing about a band and then the "haha I remember them the first time around" response lol which isn't meant in bad spirit but I never know how to answer it 

17 hours ago, mankytoes said:

I know I'm not the first to bring this up in this discussion, but to me it's such a perfect quote I can't resist "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter..."- Socrates

Oh it goes way back than that. The great Amorite king Shamshi-Addu (1796-1775 BC) wrote (on a clay tablet of course) to his son, the viceroy of Mari in Syria ( a position he owed to his father): 

'Are you a child, not a man, have you no beard on your chin? Even now when you have reached maturity, you have not set up a home.......While your brother has won a great victory here, you remain there [in Mari], reclining among the women.'

9 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Lol right. I work in hmv so I'm good at winging conversations like that and pretending I know the music people are talking about and I am pretty eclectic in my music taste (Def open minded) but there's nothing like genuinely gushing about a band and then the "haha I remember them the first time around" response lol which isn't meant in bad spirit but I never know how to answer it 

Theda, just tell them that the advantage of being young is to not having to listen to the bad stuff that came out at the same time back in the olden days. And yes I am guilty of telling my daughters that I remember them from when I was young.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:44 PM, TrueMetis said:

Nothing's better proof that something's bullshit than people being unable to define it.

Words to live by.

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:02 AM, maarsen said:

Personally as I got even older still my body doesn't quite agree that age is a state of mind. 

Oh, do tell!  I'm paying now for all the activities I indulged in while I was younger.  Skiing was particularly hard on me. (I still want to hit the slopes, though - just not with my neck!)  When I see people engaging in extreme sports, all I can think of is Ouch.

10 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I think that's a result of a certain awkwardness in conversation on the part of the person who's saying that.  Probably the best way to answer is to ask them if the band's changed over the years, or some such rot. 

I think I have the dubious distinction of being the oldest person on the Board currently.  Although, maybe I'm tied with Ormond.  :dunno:   I promise not to tell you guys to stay off my lawn anymore. 

17 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I'm much more open to new music in genres I didn't listen to when I was a teen as I have gotten older.  Also, most pop music of any generation is crap.  There is some really good pop, and it survives, but a lot of it is really and truly craptastic, even if it was popular.

When I get into that argument I like bringing up the fact that the best selling band of 1974 were The Wombles. Though last time I tried that, I just sparked a long conversation about how great The Wombles were, so I might not do that again. 

You always get bands who are ahead of their time. I actually introduced my dad to Pixies, they got a lot more famous after they broke up. I think a lot of people would be very disappointed if they time travelled and turned on a radio.

55 minutes ago, mankytoes said:

You always get bands who are ahead of their time. I actually introduced my dad to Pixies, they got a lot more famous after they broke up. I think a lot of people would be very disappointed if they time travelled and turned on a radio.

Completely agreed.  My "formative years", so to speak, were the late 70s through the 80s.  While there was, of course, much great music then...man, was there some awful crap, too!  I cringe to this day when I hear some of it that was quite popular back then.  Then again, I tend to think of the 80s as a pretty weird time all around.  I pretty much just shrug and say "Eh...it was the 80s"...as if that really explains anything.  I think those who experienced the 80s know exactly what I mean and those who didn't...really can't:P  

Generations are how the current middle-aged people blame young people for the problems they also did nothing to solve. :D

23 hours ago, mankytoes said:

When I get into that argument I like bringing up the fact that the best selling band of 1974 were The Wombles. Though last time I tried that, I just sparked a long conversation about how great The Wombles were, so I might not do that again. 

LOL.  This is so true.  My mother is tone deaf - she liked anything with a beat, which means we listened to a lot of really bad 80s dance music in the car.  My father is really musical and we used to spend hours in Tower Records (RIP) - everything from classical (he's a big fan of baroque music and classical guitar, but has a side interest in the Russian romantics), to Elton John, to Heart, to Fleetwood Mac, to Zeppelin, to The Stones and the Who (he is anti-Beatles) to AC/DC, to Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Guns N Roses. He stopped paying attention around 1993 (he was close to 50 at the time) because he said everything got really whiny.  He was specifically referring to REM.  He was not wrong.

22 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

Completely agreed.  My "formative years", so to speak, were the late 70s through the 80s.  While there was, of course, much great music then...man, was there some awful crap, too!  I cringe to this day when I hear some of it that was quite popular back then.  Then again, I tend to think of the 80s as a pretty weird time all around.  I pretty much just shrug and say "Eh...it was the 80s"...as if that really explains anything.  I think those who experienced the 80s know exactly what I mean and those who didn't...really can't:P  

Lol.  I still love an 80s music station because the worst of the crap is filtered out and the remaining crap is so craptastic it circles back around to wow awesome.

On 4/15/2018 at 11:18 AM, Tears of Lys said:

I think I have the dubious distinction of being the oldest person on the Board currently.  Although, maybe I'm tied with Ormond.  :dunno:   I promise not to tell you guys to stay off my lawn anymore. 

I was born on July 10, 1951, so you can now figure out which one of us is older for yourself. :)

On 4/14/2018 at 6:22 PM, Mlle. Zabzie said:

"The hoooook brings you back...." Blues Traveler, odd sarcastic/satiric one hit wonder of the 90s

"It doesn't matter what I say / So long as I sing with inflection / That makes you feel that I'll convey / Some inner truth or vast reflection."

On 4/16/2018 at 4:29 AM, mankytoes said:

On 4/15/2018 at 11:22 AM, Mlle. Zabzie said:

That's also overlooking that music is a shared experience. A great deal of the music we listen to is shared with others. We dance to it at parties, we sing along in the car, we discuss it and take one headphone each while listening to it.

It's not just the sounds, it's the way you grew up with it and how it shaped your life.

In some ways just taking a CD off the shelf and playing it and expecting to enjoy it is a bit like going into a library, taking off a book at random and reading it. It's a mixed bag and there's something lost when you're not sharing the experience.

P.S. CDs were these shiny plastic discs, about the size of a saucer that could be put into machines. They'd spin rapidly and a little laser would look at the squiggly patterns on them to decode what music had been burned into them.

Just now, Yukle said:

That's also overlooking that music is a shared experience. A great deal of the music we listen to is shared with others. We dance to it at parties, we sing along in the car, we discuss it and take one headphone each while listening to it.

It's not just the sounds, it's the way you grew up with it and how it shaped your life.

In some ways just taking a CD off the shelf and playing it and expecting to enjoy it is a bit like going into a library, taking off a book at random and reading it. It's a mixed bag and there's something lost when you're not sharing the experience.

P.S. CDs were these shiny plastic discs, about the size of a saucer that could be put into machines. They'd spin rapidly and a little laser would look at the squiggly patterns on them to decode what music had been burned into them.

Oh yeah, music is definitely an emotional thing. I mean if Blink 182 came out today, I'd say "he can't sing, not interested". But they were one of the first bands I loved, and I'll always listen to them. I think the music we love in our teens stays with us forever. 

But that's why it's really sad when people stop getting into new music. You're kind of saying that your experiences and emotional development are over, and you're just going to wallow in nostalgia until you die. Being older is no reason not to make new experiences. 

And they were annoying and got scratched. I feel like we had the worst of the three big music mediums- they lack the beauty of vinyl and the convenience of digital music. 

On 4/14/2018 at 2:54 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Some friends of mine who graduated high school with me have recently become grandparents.  They’re 47.

I became a grandmother at 43.

I got married at 19, had my daughter at 21.

She got married at 21, had her son at 22.

Now, nearly 10 years later, I'd say I'm middle aged, but not back then :P 

My husband is only 3 years older than me, but our points of view tend to be very different.  I saw some list that put me in with baby boomers (which I always resented) and some that put me as a gen Xer, which I also hated for some reason, and some that just kind of dropped me off (Dec 1964). Truth is though, I have more in common with Xers than I ever did with baby boomers. And that is a very gross generalization. ;)

1 hour ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

I became a grandmother at 43.

I got married at 19, had my daughter at 21.

She got married at 21, had her son at 22.

Now, nearly 10 years later, I'd say I'm middle aged, but not back then :P 

Haha, similar to my family!

Born when my folks were 24, made them grandparents when they were 48. ;) 

And I'm never going to be middle-aged. I made a deal.

11 hours ago, Ormond said:

I was born on July 10, 1951, so you can now figure out which one of us is older for yourself. :)

You've beat me out by a few months.  I'm a September girl.  Same year, though.  This being a "senior" strikes me as extremely odd as I still think and act like a kid.  I guess it's time to grow up!

Archived