Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Triskele

Paste Magazine's Top 50 Fantasy Books of 21st Century

69 posts in this topic

I post this list partly out of the hopes that I'll get some board feedback on here on how good or shite this list may be.  Lots to chew on.  

I won't lie to you when I say that I had DRII particularly in mind.  

I know that their take on Rothfuss will be noteworthy.

I also wondered about the Saladin Ahmed as I'd seen some pretty negative stuff somewhere in the past on that.  

I agree with them having ADwD on the list but not AFfC.

OH good something to read over and by angry about in bed! But yeah fuck The NIght Circus and I've heard both amazing things and bad things about Saladin Ahmed's book (which I'm sitting on cause book 2 is like 3 or 4 years overdue, and fuck that) but he seems like a really cool person in RL.

Lev Grossman is on this list, therefore this list is garbage.

4 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

The most distasteful person of which I'm aware.  I remain utterly mystified as to why that is publishable.  

Goodkind is not on this list, therefore this list is communist.

34 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Preach. Man this list is pissing me off and I have not clicked on it yet.

Wow that list is fuckkng garbage. There's so much missing and so much low tier crap AND HOW IS NOTW NUMBER ONE AND WHERE IS ABRAHAM *flips desk*

38 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Wow that list is fuckkng garbage. There's so much missing and so much low tier crap AND HOW IS NOTW NUMBER ONE AND WHERE IS ABRAHAM *flips desk*

But they nailed it with Brent Weeks though right?  Brent or is it Brett?  I can't be bothered to look.  Surprised there's no Karen Miller on there.

I'm sure a lot of those books are great. Most I haven't read.

But putting 2 Sanderson novels and Rothfuss above A Storm of Swords? WTF? 

Meh, as with all lists, it says more about the author of the list than anything. In that case it depicts one who reads mainstream fantasy, prescribed by awards, hype and TV series.

NotW in first place was funny.

Even within a single author's ouevre they've got it wrong. Perdido Street Station is on there but The Scar is not. Storm Front is the Dresden pickd despite being among the weakest of the Dresden Files novels. I'd have thought they were picking just the first in a series but then in other cases they clearly haven't done that.

Wow, lots of interesting new books to find out about. Chief among them Princess Academy, yay!

Yeah, no Hobb or Elliott or Erikison or Abraham or Parker or hell even Bakker, but fucking Weeks?

*Mutters pedantically that the twenty-first century started on 1st January, 2001, therefore A Storm of Swords shouldn't be there.*

No Lawrence either, abd these are all off the top of my head. 

In fact other than the one(!) ambercrombie there's a very noted lack of dark fantasy in general, let alone The GrimDark(tm). 

Pretty much can dismiss this list as comple shit.

Posted (edited)

I always read these lists and wish they would say right off whether or not they are ranked in any way.  I can't fathom this one being anything other than random.  It can't be random, though, other wise they wouldn't have separated the Jemisin and the Pratchett and the Rothfuss.  Would they? 

This list does have a few of my favorites like the Jemisin books and The Night Circus and Strange and Norrell and the Potter stuff.  So that's alright.  Overall, though, I have to withhold my endorsement as the following are not included.

Michelle West

Robert Jackson Bennett

Felix Gilman

Steven Erikson

Daniel Polansky

Sebastien de Castell

Others I am forgetting right now...like Peter Newman.

Edited by Inkdaub
Peter Newman