Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Triskele

Paste Magazine's Top 50 Fantasy Books of 21st Century

65 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I always read these lists and wish they would say right off whether or not they are ranked in any way.  I can't fathom this one being anything other than random.  It can't be random, though, other wise they wouldn't have separated the Jemisin and the Pratchett and the Rothfuss.  Would they? 

It's definitely ranked, and this is not the first mainstream list to have Name of the Wind at #1.  I honestly predicted it would be at #1 when I first clicked the link.

I'm not going to put too much energy into this, but it is bizarre.  At first I thought they were doing 1 book per series, and listing the first book.  Otherwise Storm Front and The Blade Itself have no place on this list since literally no one would say those are the best in their series.  But that is not the case.

Check out Wert's recent list for something more reasonable: http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2018/04/gratuitous-lists-twenty-great-complete.html 

Edited by End of Disc One

9 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Lev Grossman is on this list, therefore this list is garbage.

Never heard of him, why is he hated? 

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

That list honestly looks like it was compiled in like 20 mins. Not a single hidden gem on there.

Basically reads like the writer had a deadline fast approaching and asked co-workers for the titles to some fantasy books so he could just throw together a listicle.

Edited by Astromech

1 hour ago, mankytoes said:

Never heard of him, why is he hated? 

I can’t speak for everyone, but I hate his works because they are derivative and pretentious and Grossman acts like he somehow graced the fantasy genre with its first taste of literary value by writing them.

At first glance,the thing that came to mind was that a bot/software had put up this list! Terrible list btw.A debut YA/tween fantasy author (Sabaa Taahir) above GRRM?? LOL

What an odd list. It looks like someone took the top 30 most commercially-successful series of the 21st century, put them in a blender, and then added 20 random others to make a nice, round 50.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell in the low 20s is the most infuriating for me personally. One of the few fantasy novels published recently I'm certain will remain a classic 50 years from now.

Edited by Macadangdang Jr.

Paste magazine aka hipster Buzzfeed, that renowned authority on SFF works...

Paste Magazine is your source for the best music, movies, tv, books, videogames, comedy, craft beer, food, travel, tech, politics and more.

You guys are so bloody predictable on your overwrought analysis and outrage about a list of opinions. And if someone ranks Sabaa Tahir's first two books above George, WTF cares? Her books are pretty good and George isn't for everyone (OPINION). Some people are going to look at this list and discover some new books/authors and that's it's purpose. Maybe they'll make their way to that thing you find to be OMGTHEGREATEST and maybe they won't. I'm not surprised by the amount of YA fantasy on the list because YA fantasy is BIG right now nor by the sour feelings that it's edged out those foundational it is know classics get off your lawn. 

Also The Night Circus is phenomenally lovely so DRII can suck it. *flips hair over shoulder, storms off dramatically*

27 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Some people are going to look at this list and discover some new books/authors and that's it's purpose.

I don't understand the logic here, any list would have such purpose then, list 50 random books and boom you can trot that argument: "some people are going to discover new books so no criticism is allowed". It's unassailable. Except in that case, this list is entirely redundant because there are other sites with lists named Amazon, bookdepository, or barnesandnobles.

Still, if it's hipster fooder, I got hope they'll trust the personalized recommendations of their local indie librarian over a list cobbled together by someone who probably read as much as them in the genre. It's not because everyone has an opinion that all these opinions have the same validity and backing.

Skipped to 1 and 2 to judge the entire list.

TWoK and Name of the Wind.

lol.  Pleb list from someone either with no taste or doesn't read enough fantasy.

Edited by Ajûrbkli

I'll accept the night circus as not complete shot when someone can explain to me how the phrase "round spheres" isn't something a 6 year old would write while on cold meds.

Also no one is going to discover anything "new" from that list they could not find by looking at top sellers on Amazon or any bookstore, cmon. 

14 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

Pretty crappy list, in my humble opinion. Then again, these lists never please everyone. . .

Yeah, but this list hasn't pleased ANYONE. :P

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I'll accept the night circus as not complete shot when someone can explain to me how the phrase "round spheres" isn't something a 6 year old would write while on cold meds.

LOL really? now I want a full on DR2 Night Circus rant. Has it already been posted?

48 minutes ago, kuenjato said:

LOL really? now I want a full on DR2 Night Circus rant. Has it already been posted?

Many times,in fact each time that book is mentioned on this forum IIRC.:P It's like a 'summon DR' spell! :D

Nothing by Robin Hobb or Guy Gabriel Kay.  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows rated above a Storm of Swords?  Bin it.

I don't hate it to be honest.  I mean, I quibble with the order almost completely and the top ten could have been picked out of any reddit thread.  And yes there are books I hate on it and it is missing some I see as no brainers.  AND I wish they had only done one out of any series, makes it pretty weird.  But It is a much more varied list than I am used to seeing; some UF, magical realism, S&S, Grimdark and YA.  It leans heavy on what's popular for sure but at least it tries somewhat to look different than every other list out there...at least until the top ten.