U.S. Politics: Who's Cohen Down?

LongRider

2 minutes ago, the pee tape is real said:

you want more insults for supporting the death of children? cuz buddy, i got em to spare 

Sure, why not?  Using chemical weapons try and do kill children.  Targeted military strikes try not to.

1 minute ago, the pee tape is real said:

lol, “tries not to” but when they do it’s just a ‘whoops-a-daisey-dillio’

because, like, “targeted military strikes” against a middle eastern regime with supposed chemical weapons has worked so very well in the recent past

I saw Russia Tweeted that 'we warned you' but I'm waaaaay too high to understand the subtext. What's goin' on?

4 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You fucker!

Warn a bitch before she go looking at Twitter comments while high during the commercials of The Expanse.

D'fuq wrong with you?

Maybe I should have posted a warning. Seeing the meltdown was just too rich to not post, tho. There's a full on civil war going on in the comments sections of InfoWars and Breitbart; I'd be snacking on popcorn except for the innocent lives being pulped over this wag the dog bullshit.

1 minute ago, the pee tape is real said:

“targeted military strikes” against a middle eastern regime with supposed chemical weapons has worked so very well in the recent past

First - "supposed."  Really?  Do we have to play that game?  Second, yes, it did work very well with Iraq during the Clinton administration.  

Just now, dmc515 said:

First - "supposed."  Really?  Do we have to play that game?  Second, yes, it did work very well with Iraq during the Clinton administration.  

first: yes 

second: maybe consider circumstance that have occurred since body glove was thought to be the height of casual fashion

7 minutes ago, kuenjato said:

Maybe I should have posted a warning. Seeing the meltdown was just too rich to not post, tho. There's a full on civil war going on in the comments sections of InfoWars and Breitbart; I'd be snacking on popcorn except for the innocent lives being pulped over this wag the dog bullshit.

Dude. My brain full on ceased to function for a moment trying to process that the first five comments weren't jokes or sarcasm.

I saw a light... It wanted me to come forward but I didn't want to I DIDN'T WANT TOO DON'T TAKE ME MOMMA MOMMA MOMMA MOMMA MOMMA MOMMA

4 minutes ago, the pee tape is real said:

first: yes 

Al Jazeera all but admits the attack came from Assad.

8 minutes ago, the pee tape is real said:

second: maybe consider circumstance that have occurred since body glove was thought to be the height of casual fashion

I have no idea what this means.

Been bored and nostalgic the past few hours.  Thought this was interesting, which is me on March 15, 2014:

It is the third anniversary of the Syrian rebellion.  140,000 people have died.  I opened up my browser to the washington post homepage that quoted a local student, "more than ever there is no hope."  I know there are comparatively more fucked up things in the world.  I know everyone is focused on Crimea right now because that involves white people.  And I know I am in the huge minority that thought we should have launched some cruise missiles at them back in September after Assad gassed his own people and violated one of the very few international laws that was observed for the past eighty years.  Just saying, the amount of refugees dwarfs that 140 figure above, and this will dictate the landscape of the middle east for years to come.

The Wolf in Wonk’s Clothing

Paul Ryan tried to sell fiscal austerity as a moral crusade. Then Donald Trump came along

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/04/paul-ryan-tried-to-sell-fiscal-austerity-as-a-moral-crusade-then-donald-trump-came-along.html

A man who, whether he was a doctrinaire objectivist or not, clearly believed and frequently said that American society was fundamentally divided between productive “makers” and parasitic “takers.” People who held this view of Ryan were told repeatedly, by centrists and even some liberals, that he advanced his budget proposals out of real, well-grounded concerns about the size of the federal deficit, in and of itself, and that he was a serious, fair-minded fiscal hawk worthy of respect. “Republican budget wonk Paul Ryan clearly believes in big ideas,” the Atlantic’s Derek Thompson wrote upon the release of Ryan’s budget plan in 2010. Ezra Klein, while noting that Ryan’s cuts to Medicare and Medicaid would be “violent,” agreed that Ryan’s proposals were being offered in good faith. “[H]is proposal is among the few I’ve seen that’s willing to propose solutions in proportion to the problem,” he wrote. “Whether or not you like his answer, you have to give him credit for stepping up to the chalkboard.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

The Wolf in Wonk’s Clothing

Paul Ryan tried to sell fiscal austerity as a moral crusade. Then Donald Trump came along

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/04/paul-ryan-tried-to-sell-fiscal-austerity-as-a-moral-crusade-then-donald-trump-came-along.html

I always go back to Francisco d’Anconia’s speech [in Atlas Shrugged] on money when I think about monetary policy. 

So the serious conservative wonk takes his lesson on monetary policy from Ayn Rand. That's just fantastic.

People who held this view of Ryan were told repeatedly, by centrists and even some liberals, that he advanced his budget proposals out of real, well-grounded concerns about the size of the federal deficit, in and of itself, and that he was a serious, fair-minded fiscal hawk worthy of respect. “Republican budget wonk Paul Ryan clearly believes in big ideas,” the Atlantic’s Derek Thompson wrote upon the release of Ryan’s budget plan in 2010. Ezra Klein, while noting that Ryan’s cuts to Medicare and Medicaid would be “violent,” agreed that Ryan’s proposals were being offered in good faith. “[H]is proposal is among the few I’ve seen that’s willing to propose solutions in proportion to the problem,” he wrote. “Whether or not you like his answer, you have to give him credit for stepping up to the chalkboard.”

Perhaps Yglesias has a rapid dislike of Ryan because so many people for the bullshit that Ryan was the "serious" conservative.

A casual observer of politics at the time, given this kind of talk and Ryan’s youthful looks, could have been forgiven for thinking that the then 40-year-old congressman was some fresh-faced upstart who’d just arrived in Washington, spreadsheets in hand. In fact, by the time he, Eric Cantor, and Kevin McCarthy declared themselves part of “a new generation of conservative leaders” in the book Young Guns that September, Paul Ryan had been in the House for more than a decade. 

Young Guns. :rolleyes:

A bunch of middle aged guys pushing the same old, same old, conservative horseshit. And they call themselves "Young Guns". "Young Clowns" while not entirely accurate, would have been closer to the mark.

There are no easy solutions to the mess that is in Syria.

But, letting Syrian refugees emigrate seems like low hanging fruit.

https://www.vox.com/2018/4/13/17233856/syria-attack-refugees-war-assad-trump

President Donald Trump and his administration are still deciding whether and how to escalate the US’s military presence in Syria, after another chemical weapons attack on Syrian civilians that has been linked (though not definitively) to the forces of President Bashar al-Assad. But there’s a basic recognition that the war is horrific and it needs to end soon.

Defense Secretary James Mattis illustrated the horror of the Syrian conflict Thursday by telling the House Armed Services Committee, “I’ve seen refugees from Asia to Europe, Kosovo to Africa. I’ve never seen refugees as traumatized as coming out of Syria. It’s got to end.”

But while the plight of the 5.5 million refugees who have fled Syria is apparently a factor in US policy, it doesn’t appear to be inspiring the Trump administration to let in very many refugees.

So, were the attacks effective as Mattis claims? Is Syria at all slowed down in deploying chlorine and seren?

What is to stop them getting chemicals from Russia, Iran, or NK? Why did Syria need its own program?

Mattis admitted this does not mean Syria will never again mount a chemical attack. 

Archived