U.S. Politics: Who's Cohen Down?

LongRider

10 hours ago, Yukle said:

I thought your comments were jokes, so haven't been responding to them.

Generalisations are not especially helpful, especially negative ones. Judging somebody on their age is unfair. That's as unfair as saying that because you're alive now, you therefore support Donald Trump, Kim Jon-Un and Assad. Because they are people who are ruling while your generation lives, and no amount of nuance can absolve you from responsibility for that.

There have been amazing people and scumbags alive at any and every point in history. Beyond their ages, they didn't have much in common. That's true of all time periods.

I think your statement is as false, as arbitrary and as discriminatory as if you'd made the same statement but replaced "generation" with "race."

However, one can make a nuanced generalization in which they say, as a whole, the Baby Boomers were a shortsighted, selfish and greedy generation while also recognizing that of course not every Baby Boomer is a bad person and that there were many great Baby Boomers. But at this point it’s inarguable, history will not remember them kindly. It’s also unfortunate for them to succeed  the Greatest Generation. As a history teacher, I’m sure you’re well aware that we retrospectively evaluate leaders and groups based on who preceded and succeeded them.

Since generations are the topic du jour, what do they call the generations down under in the land overrun by drop bears?

Tywin et al.,

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

However, one can make a nuanced generalization in which they say, as a whole, the Baby Boomers were a shortsighted, selfish and greedy generation while also recognizing that of course not every Baby Boomer is a bad person and that there were many great Baby Boomers. But at this point it’s inarguable, history will not remember them kindly. It’s also unfortunate for them to succeed  the Greatest Generation. As a history teacher, I’m sure you’re well aware that we retrospectively evaluate leaders and groups based on who preceded and succeeded them.

What is the point of such a generalization, though?  The only point that I know of is, once you have the generalization, then you've got a baseline for judging a member of the class absent any other significant data.  But, that's prejudice, no?

3 minutes ago, Lord Mord said:

Tywin et al.,

What is the point of such a generalization, though?  The only point that I know of is, once you have the generalization, then you've got a baseline for judging a member of the class absent any other significant data.  But, that's prejudice, no?

quack Quack QUack QUAck QUACk QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Since generations are the topic du jour, what do they call the generations down under in the land overrun by drop bears?

The generation you are praising is one that voted more heavily for Donald Trump and one many other posters are waiting to die.

The Greatest Generation gave us the M.I.C , Nuclear build up, and Vietnam. The shortsighted, selfish, and greedy policy is called Reaganomics.

1 hour ago, Lord Mord said:

Tywin et al.,

Do you live in the US?  Are boomers being shot at traffic stops?  Do they experience a difference in wages and housing?  Are they over -represented in prison?   Are they less likely to be stopped by police but more likely to be charged with a crime?

You are defending a text book example of a false equivalence.  You can call it prejudice if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy and egalitarian inside.  But you're  not being that at all.  You're just obfuscating the truth of the world we live in.  Not all prejudice is created equal.

---

ETA: @TrueMetis. For real on the greatest generation.  

Boomers across the country, in churches and outside churches, provide out of their own funds and time, endless service and assistance to refugees.  Boomers are care takers of both their elderly Greatest Generation parents, and their own children and their grandchildren, with time, space and their own funds.  They are the ones who provide produce to community food banks.  They do voter registration.  They do endless things all day long and hold down full time jobs -- when they can get work -- because so often they are supporting the generations before them and those that come after them.  Boomers are no more and no less selfish, greedy and mean than any other generation.

Back in the day they were looked at with the same expressions of hope and awe that are now directed to the Parkland School adolescents.  So all you all in generations that came post the Boomers, think about how YOUR generation will appear to those after yours, when you are the same age then as Boomers are now, and you have worked, supported and gone sleepless as much as so many of them have.

To hold them responsible for all the evils in the world (recall Zucherberg, etc. are NOT boomers but your own generation(s)) any more than anyone else is ignorant and silly.

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Boomers across the country, in churches and outside churches, provide out of their own funds and time, endless service and assistance to refugees.  Boomers are care takers of both their elderly Greatest Generation parents, and their own children and their grandchildren, with time, space and their own funds.  They are the ones who provide produce to community food banks.  They do voter registration.  They do endless things all day long and hold down full time jobs -- when they can get work -- because so often they are supporting the generations before them and those that come after them.  Boomers are no more and no less selfish, greedy and mean than any other generation.

Back in the day they were looked at with the same expressions of hope and awe that are now directed to the Parkland School adolescents.  So all you all in generations that came post the Boomers, think about how YOUR generation will appear to those after yours, when you are the same age then as Boomers are now, and you have worked, supported and gone sleepless as much as so many of them have.

To hold them responsible for all the evils in the world (recall Zucherberg, etc. are NOT boomers but your own generation(s)) any more than anyone else is ignorant and silly.

*Boomer lives matter* lol 

16 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah I'm sure Hitler and Eva Braun loved each other very much too. :rollseyes:

Stay classy!

1 hour ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

The Greatest Generation gave us the M.I.C , Nuclear build up, and Vietnam. The shortsighted, selfish, and greedy policy is called Reaganomics.

I don't think you can attribute the military-industrial complex to any single generation.  In fact, this notion a single generation is responsible for events/phenomena/etc. is getting ridiculously out of hand.  Besides, the MIC grew in undue influence long before the greatest generation were key decision-makers.  Hell, same goes with "nuclear build up."

6 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Except the article said that northern Democratic voters were more likely to support civil rights initiatives by the early 1940s. I'm not sure why this doesn't qualify within the purview of "voting patterns". So evidently, the efforts of the Democratic Party leadership and that of the Unions was having some effect. And if you can drag voters along with you to support better racial policies and civil rights, even though they may vote primarily for other reasons, then that's a win in my book.

And its true that Trump won more union households than any Republican President since Reagan, but both still lost that vote overall. While it's certainly disheartening that Trump was able to get increased support from Union members, there is no reason to accept that as the new normal, though I'd suspect some liberals are wiling to accept that as the new normal and think the best thing for Democrats to do is hunker down on the coast and pout, and say game over man, game over, and just hope this whole thing blows over by itself. This idea is almost as bad, but not quite as bad as that of the Mark Lilla's of the world, whose advice the article is trying to refute and which is it's real main point.

And even though, Trump did get increased Union support, compared to other Republican Presidents, i'd be extremely cautious in arriving at the conclusion that Trump has broken the link between Unions and the fate of the Democratic Party.

This is why I am optimistic about future elections. Trump lied during the election about how he would govern. And since election he has shown nothing but same old Bush/Reagan bullshit. Fool me once.

34 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

I don't think you can attribute the military-industrial complex to any single generation.  In fact, this notion a single generation is responsible for events/phenomena/etc. is getting ridiculously out of hand.  Besides, the MIC grew in undue influence long before the greatest generation were key decision-makers.  Hell, same goes with "nuclear build up."

The Generation is responsible for the Modern M.I.C and the Nuclear. Those who lead in WWII are the ones that built it and many those who serve worked to perpetuate it. JFK is the one that ran on the missile gap.

I was more looking to provide a counterpoint to the post on look into any generation and there are issues.

Trump claims he didn't fire Comey over Russia investigation

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/18/trump-fire-comey-russia-531538

“Slippery James Comey, the worst FBI Director in history, was not fired because of the phony Russia investigation where, by the way, there was NO COLLUSION (except by the Dems)!” the president wrote on Twitter

7 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

The Generation is responsible for the Modern M.I.C and the Nuclear. Those who lead in WWII are the ones that built it and many those who serve worked to perpetuate it. JFK is the one that ran on the missile gap.

Yes, JFK famously ran on the missile gap lie, but my point is both the "modern MIC" as we know it and nuclear buildup were initiated in the immediate post-WWII era, at which time very few leaders actually came from what is known as "the greatest generation."

17 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Yes, JFK famously ran on the missile gap lie, but my point is both the "modern MIC" as we know it and nuclear buildup were initiated in the immediate post-WWII era, at which time very few leaders actually came from what is known as "the greatest generation."

I do not see how you can exclude many of the Leaders and Generals frin WW2 from the Greatest Generation. The result of the war did drive action no matter how they maybe viewed. Though I had problems with the moniker since the book was originally released.

10 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

I do not see how you can exclude many of the Leaders and Generals frin WW2 from the Greatest Generation.

Because they plainly were older than "the greatest generation."  Before Brokaw the greatest generation was actually called the "G.I. Generation" because they were the soldiers, not the leaders.  Truman was born in 1884.  Ike in 1890.  Marshall, MacArthur, Leahy, Stimson in 1880, 1880, 1875, and 1867, respectively.  These leaders are obviously different than "the greatest generation," which wikipedia says is 1900-1924.  No matter when you want to cut it off, they're clearly of an older generation than that that gave us JFK/LBJ/Nixon/Ford/Carter/Reagan/Bush - all born between 1908 and 1924.

larrytheimp,

2 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Do you live in the US?  Are boomers being shot at traffic stops?  Do they experience a difference in wages and housing?  Are they over -represented in prison?   Are they less likely to be stopped by police but more likely to be charged with a crime?

You are defending a text book example of a false equivalence.  You can call it prejudice if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy and egalitarian inside.  But you're  not being that at all.  You're just obfuscating the truth of the world we live in.  Not all prejudice is created equal.

I notice that you don't push back on the characterization that it is prejudice.  But if you re-read what I wrote, you'll also see that I'm not at all claiming they are society's victims, so I'm not sure what merited this response.

Archived