LongRider

U.S. Politics: Who's Cohen Down?

331 posts in this topic

The GOP’s Never-Trumpers Are Really Just Never-Democrats

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/04/the-gops-never-trumpers-are-really-just-never-democrats.html

David Brooks, the New York Times op-ed page’s long-standing ambassador from the center-right, recently wrote a self-flagellatory column about the failure of anti-Trump Republicans to influence their own tribe. It was remarkable not for what it said but for what it didn’t. After lingering over the grim evidence — President Trump’s approval rating still hovers in the low 40s, and, more important, he commands the near unanimous support of the Republican base — Brooks concluded, “A lot of us never-Trumpers assumed momentum would be on our side as his scandals and incompetences mounted. It hasn’t turned out that way.”

What implications might be drawn from the implacable support of the party base for the manifestly incompetent, scandal-ridden party leader? One might entertain the conclusion that no combination of facts and logic can dislodge the Republican base from its tribal loyalties. This interpretation could be supported by such evidence as the fondness of Republicans for birtherism, their distrust of climate science, and so on. Perhaps the Republican base as currently constituted is hopelessly immune to reason and a reasonable person such as Brooks should instead refocus his political energies on curtailing its political power.

But Brooks’s column did not come to that conclusion. Indeed, amazingly enough, he did not even consider the option. Instead, he suggested that critics of Trump must try harder and somehow do a better job of persuading Republicans to stop loving Trump so much. The idea of abandoning the Republican Party because it is authoritarian and toxically anti-intellectual was apparently as unfathomable to him as a fish in a polluted river deciding to live on land.

If you want to understand why an event as large and potentially cataclysmic as the election of Donald Trump has not (yet) scrambled the long trench-warfare stalemate between red and blue America, this dynamic is a good place to start.

‘We Can Solve Huge Technical Issues, But Can’t Pay Our Employees a Fair Wage?’
A conversation with Ellen Pao about the homogeneity of internet pioneers, Reddit’s quest for growth, and the inability of tech executives to change.

http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/ellen-pao-reddit-ceo-interview.html

I guess my concern is that the solution so far is more of the same. You’ve got these people who are incredibly innovative. They can solve huge technical issues. They can bring the internet to Africa at a low cost, but we can’t pay our employees a fair wage that allows them to live above the poverty line and feed their families and buy a home? We can’t get harassment off of our sites? You have these people who haven’t used their skill, innovation, their giant teams, or their huge coffers to solve them. What makes you think they’re going to change and care about these problems today? And that’s the piece that I’m not really sure about. And when you look at a company like Uber, and you bring somebody who looks very similar in to solve the problem, I don’t really know that the problem is going to get solved.

I’ve suggested that Facebook bring in a bunch of people who are not part of a homogeneous majority to their executive team, to every product team, to every strategy discussion, because you need the people who are living the problem to help solve it and to help people who clearly don’t understand the impact of their network and the nature and extent of the problems on their platforms. To actually be able to solve the problem, you need to understand it, and there are not enough people in powerful positions who can have an impact at those platforms.

How Low Will Trump Go?
The president’s legal situation appears to be getting worse. What might he do to get out of it?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/04/what-trump-could-still-do-to-obstruct-the-mueller-and-cohen-investigations.html

Let’s say Rosenstein is replaced. You’re saying it would be difficult for a new deputy to meddle in the SDNY investigation of Michael Cohen—but if someone wanted to do that, what forms could that take?

Well any number of forms ranging from the simple forms of refusing approvals when requested to the more-intrusive forms like moving around resources, telling the FBI that it should reassign—of the 30 investigating agents, [sending] 20 of them to go do bank fraud in South Dakota tomorrow. Things of that nature. He could certainly play some games in that regard. At his strongest, he could direct the U.S. attorney’s office to close the investigation, but that would be one of these really strong acts that would certainly generate a lot of notice and would be highly unlikely, even for a Trump loyalist.

Lol, who did Hannity get pregnant is the obvious question!

Oh, ‘Mr. Hannity has never been represented by Mr. Cohen with a 3rd party”.

Or was Donald Trump feeding Hannity Secret information through Cohen?

Hmmmmm...

18 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Sean Hannity revealed as Cohen's third unknown client. The plot lines for this month stretch incredulity; recycling plots and characters for convenience doesn't make sense here. 

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/985953454668570630

This is making Twitter blow up right now. If Fox News has any ethics, Hannity would be in deep shit for not revealing this after he has spent weeks of his program railing against Mueller's pursuit of Cohen. Instead I'm sure they will roll out more "news" like the sex-crazed pandas tonight to avoid talking about it. 

From what I’vd heard so far, no way were Cohen and Hannity in a lawyer/client relationship. Maybe a lawyer in the US can tell us if Hannity paying ten bucks to Cohen every now and then turns their conversations into confidential discussions. Otherwise Cohen never billed Hannity or opened a file, Hannity says, they just had occasional conversations on points.

As I said, maybe Cohen was a conduit for information from Trump.

18 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

From what I’vd heard so far, no way were Cohen and Hannity in a lawyer/client relationship. Maybe a lawyer in the US can tell us if Hannity paying ten bucks to Cohen every now and then turns their conversations into confidential discussions. Otherwise Cohen never billed Hannity or opened a file, Hannity says, they just had occasional conversations on points.

As I said, maybe Cohen was a conduit for information from Trump.

I don't think payment matters.  I have plenty of clients who have not and will never pay me (mind you, I also have an engagement letter defining the scope of the work I am doing pro bono).  Here's an article in Law360 on in.  Let me know if it is behind a paywall.  

But basically my understanding is that there is a reasonable person test, and it has to do with giving advice and receipt of confidential information.

Remember that time that Rachel Maddow turned out to be a client of Barack Obama's scummy personal lawyer? 

2 hours ago, Trebla said:

This is making Twitter blow up right now. If Fox News has any ethics, Hannity would be in deep shit for not revealing this after he has spent weeks of his program railing against Mueller's pursuit of Cohen. Instead I'm sure they will roll out more "news" like the sex-crazed pandas tonight to avoid talking about it. 

Depends. Fox executives don't like being lied to either; there could well be repercussions for him behind the scenes (assuming he was lying and they didn't all know). Also, the Disney purchase of 21st Century Fox, sans Fox News, hasn't closed yet; and there's been plenty of stories about the heads of others Fox departments (especially during the Ailes stuff) not being happy with how things have been run over at Fox News.

It seems this is so fresh that no journalist has had the time to write about it yet:

From agent orange:

Tomorrow is Tax Day, and remember this: This is the LAST TIME you're going to fill out that long, complicated, horrible return!

He said that it would make everyone happy, except the professionals being paid to help people file their tax return. Next year there will be a single page to fill in.

15 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

It seems this is so fresh that no journalist has had the time to write about it yet:

From agent orange:

He said that it would make everyone happy, except the professionals being paid to help people file their tax return. Next year there will be a single page to fill in.

:rofl:

Um, I'm one of those professionals.  The law formerly known as HR 1 (it doesn't have an official title for complicated reasons) should be called the "Tax Professional Full Employment Act."  I'm good, thanks.

4 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

At this hour:

The Hannity Calamity

If only the name was Hammity

1 minute ago, A True Kaniggit said:

If only the name was Hammity

There's gonna be hocks of ham commin' off him in prison.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

There's gonna be hocks of ham commin' off him in prison.

Gotta cut through the fat first.

3 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

But basically my understanding is that there is a reasonable person test, and it has to do with giving advice and receipt of confidential information.

My first thoughts were "Hannity has bimbo eruptions?"     Guess he needed professional advice.
Must not be Cohen too well.      :lol:

Oh, and fuck those guys.

Edited by LongRider