Roose Bolton vs. Stannis Baratheon

Roswell

It seems both armies are in trouble based on the latest info that we have.  The time lines are difficult to work out and it could very well be as the Pink Letter stated, Roose Bolton defeated Stannis Baratheon.  It is also possible that the letter is inaccurate and the battle has yet to begin.  I have my own opinion and will share that shortly.  I want to hear yours first.

1. Who has the advantage in the battle of ice?
  2. What can Roose Bolton do to maximize his chances of winning?  Plot out a battle strategy for the Boltons.  
  3. Do you agree with the manner in which Roose handled the Freys and the Manderlys?  Was it smart to send them out into battle together?  What are the pros and cons of this strategy for Roose?  

I think Ramsey will want as many Freys as possible to die in the battle. Any children Roose has with Walda are a threat to Ramsey's claim, he knows the Freys in the North with support and protect any children Roose has with Walda. That and the discord with the Manderlys trying to sabotage Roose's efforts could have a huge impact. Plus I think Stannis is cooking up something brilliant strategically. We know from the Greyjoy Rebellion and the battle with the wildlings he knows what he's doing when it comes to battle tactics.  If only he could figure out how to talk to people.

If I were Roose I would just close the gates and I would allow nobody back to WF. It was mentioned that they had enough food for about 6 months to feed all people in there. With fewer mouths to feed and if Manderlys did not take their food with them now they would even have access to more food. So their available food could even last longer.

7 hours ago, The Transporter said:

It seems both armies are in trouble based on the latest info that we have.  The time lines are difficult to work out and it could very well be as the Pink Letter stated, Roose Bolton defeated Stannis Baratheon.  It is also possible that the letter is inaccurate and the battle has yet to begin.  I have my own opinion and will share that shortly.  I want to hear yours first.

2. What can Roose Bolton do to maximize his chances of winning?  Plot out a battle strategy for the Boltons.  
  3. Do you agree with the manner in which Roose handled the Freys and the Manderlys?  Was it smart to send them out into battle together?  What are the pros and cons of this strategy for Roose?  
  1. On first glance, the ones protected by the walls, but they have no way of getting supplies.  The ones outside can hope for miracle and get supplies from somebody.  It's a draw.  The match is even.
  2. It was right to send out the Manderly troops.  Manderly is a traitor.  Less mouths to feed.  You do not want to continue feeding your enemy.  He should have kept the Freys inside.  Ser Hosteen is a good man to have in battle and the Freys are good soldiers.  
7 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

I think Ramsey will want as many Freys as possible to die in the battle. Any children Roose has with Walda are a threat to Ramsey's claim, he knows the Freys in the North with support and protect any children Roose has with Walda. That and the discord with the Manderlys trying to sabotage Roose's efforts could have a huge impact. Plus I think Stannis is cooking up something brilliant strategically. We know from the Greyjoy Rebellion and the battle with the wildlings he knows what he's doing when it comes to battle tactics.  If only he could figure out how to talk to people.

I wouldn't be too sure about Stannis.  Tyrion bested him in the battle for king's landing.  

7 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Ramsay is not running the show.  Roose is.  The Freys are a powerful house whose help they desperately need.

1 hour ago, Agent Orange said:

Ramsay is not running the show.  Roose is.  The Freys are a powerful house whose help they desperately need.

That's too bad b/c the Freys will be traped between Stannis and Manderly's men. It will be a slaughter. 

2 hours ago, Agent Orange said:
  2. It was right to send out the Manderly troops.  Manderly is a traitor.  Less mouths to feed.  You do not want to continue feeding your enemy.  He should have kept the Freys inside.  Ser Hosteen is a good man to have in battle and the Freys are good soldiers.  

Manderly brought tons of supply for him and his men. Read harder.

6 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

I wouldn't be too sure about Stannis.  Tyrion bested him in the battle for king's landing.  

Tywin and the Tyrells had a lot to do with that victory as well, it wasn't simply just Tyrion and the wildfire. Still, Stannis is considered the better battle commander then Roose. During TWot5K Roose was basically losing battle's on purpose instead of winning them.

Ramsay is not running the show.  Roose is. 

Roose openly admits he has trouble controlling Ramsay. 

The Freys are a powerful house whose help they desperately need.

Doesn't change the fact they are a threat to Ramsay's claim to the North if Walda has any sons. It's in his best interest if the Freys in the North all die.

Spoiler

Stannis is planning a trap for the Boltons.  At least, that is what it looks like from the released chapters of Winds.  

I'm afraid the Freys are goners.  They're not accustomed to fighting in the snows and they are Roose Bolton's most powerful allies.  That will hurt his chances in this fight.  One thing they have going for them is time.  They have more time than Stannis.  

19 hours ago, Agent Orange said:
  1. On first glance, the ones protected by the walls, but they have no way of getting supplies.  The ones outside can hope for miracle and get supplies from somebody.  It's a draw.  The match is even.

https://media.giphy.com/media/pcIdLXJXwAQZG/giphy.gif

19 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

Tyrion was on the verge of losing the battle and getting KL sacked. To be fair, there is not really much else he could have done. He credibly defended KL with a smaller force who was halfway to mutiny for much of the battle. Stannis had 4x as many men and several easy avenues of attack. If Imry Florent had done a bit more scouting AND not forced the Mud Gate instead of the Iron Gate, KL would have been toast.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:10 AM, The Transporter said:

1.  Roose has the better defensive position. 

2.  I've no military background but waiting out looks like the better option.  Humans can go a long time without food.  They have shelter and Stannis is exposed to the elements.

3.  Yes.  Manderly could ally with Stannis is the risk.  

On 14/04/2018 at 4:10 PM, The Transporter said:

1. On paper it looks like Roose has the upper hand. He has superior numbers; though the margin is unclear; a castle (which is a defensive position and shelter from the elements), and food. Plus he still has cavalry, I think. Stannis on the other hand has a smaller army, with no cavalry, little in the way of supplies and only a small Crofters Village, which offers no defensive advatage and little shelter. However, Stannis is by far a superior commander to anyone within Winterfell and it's clear he's planning something. Nightlamps is the theory I personally hold to.

3. I agree with him sending the Frey's out. They're just a liability. They've never faced a Northern Winter before much less fought through one and will be less than effective when they try to. So if they're useless as fighters then they're just 2000 men burning through supplies then the opportunity to get rid of them, potentially damage Stannis' army and ease tensions within the castle in the process is a chance too good to pass up. Manderly he should have kept with him. He's handing 300 fresh men to Stannis, and those men have info on what the situation inside is.

2. Send the Frey's out as a sortie against Stannis. Their numbers are too low to fully defeat Stannis but they're going to be useless as soldiers in the storm and their presence is the biggest cause of unrest inside Winterfell. Plus that's 2000 less men to feed. Less horses too. And maybe they'll get lucky and do some damage before they get slaughtered. Then I'd send Ramsay. He's a threat to my own life and the future of my house. So I'd give him command of the 600 man force he'd been commanding previously and send them out after the Frey's. They'll almost certainly inflict casualties on Stannis before they die and it removes a huge chunk of horses from the stables. Since cavalry would be next to useless for the strategy I have in mind, the less animals I have to keep from starving, the better. Not to mention; with Ramsay out of the picture, Dustin (and therefore Ryswell) become more secure in their support for me and there's less issue with whatever's left of the Hornwood's. After that I'd wait. Stannis will starve and freeze if he stays where he is so he'll be forced to either run back to the Wall; and probably lose his Northern support for being a coward; or attack the castle. If he does the latter, then he has to try and storm a fortified castle with a starving, freezing and weakened army while I sit behind strong walls with fresh troops.

I believe the clansmen are the key here. Time and time again George points out how well accustomed they are to hard winter. I believe they could defeat any army Roose pops out of Winterfell to clash with Stannis' knights. A siege against Winterfell may prove difficult for Stannis, but I feel that it could take just a little push to make the northern lords, inside the castle walls, to revolt against Bolton and hand the victory to Stan.

I do think that to bleed the castle from conflictive soldiers, as in Freys and Manderlys, is an astute move by Roose, I believe he don't have a full grasp on what is going on inside the castle. It may be infiltrated, after all.

Archived