Eight thousand six hundred Unsullied, as well as the five thousand boys still in training vs. all her goods, ships, and Drogon

There's only three dragons in the world, so they are insanely valuable. Also they might not have known that you need someone with Dragonlord ancestry to control dragons. After all it had been hundreds of years, even if they knew it, they might have dismissed that as propaganda or superstition.

Simply having a dragon is already an asset; they'd be one of two powers in the world to have one of those things, they'd ensure that Daenerys would have one less of the beasties and maybe they fought they could train it to be used in war.

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

There's only three dragons in the world, so they are insanely valuable. Also they might not have known that you need someone with Dragonlord ancestry to control dragons.

Yes.

I think they're totally focused on the potential value and the prestige, and they forget the material contingencies…

More, these people are SO used to be obeyed, they don't even consider that an animal can be unwilling…

Drogon is a flying Abrams tank in a world of light infantry.  If the trade had been successful, they would have outrageously ripped Dany off, like trading 10 draft picks for Ricky Williams.  The trade was a no-brainer, except for the whole "getting slaughtered by the Unsullied" part.  One of Dany's many despicable acts that are glossed over to make her look better.  Never enter into an agreement with Danaerys Stormborn.

They're not glossed over, but fuck those slaving bastards. I dont like Dany for other reasons, but those are points in her favor. She liberated thousands of slaves and even disrupted an entire horrible system of bullshit

It was an easy choice for Daenerys, she had to have known after she freed the Unsullied they would want to fight for her. It's not like they were going to sail to the Summer Isles and start families after they were freed. They were basically Ser. Barristan after Robert's Rebellion, they needed someone to fight for and lead them because fighting and obedience is all they'v ever known.

The Slavers probably figured they could always make more Unsullied, getting a dragon is a once in a lifetime deal. If they were somehow able to tame the dragon they could use it like a sellsword company, and fly it to cities who paid them enough to scare off Dothraki or hostiles at their door. They were already looked to for those that needed protection and needed Unsullied in the first place.

Yeah, those slavers got what was coming to them. What the Ghiscari had wasn't ordinary, Ancient Mediterranean slavery (which was still bad enough) it was slavery on the level of the American Antebellum South

GRRM  made the slave masters so ridiculously evil that when i read those passages, I actually had to laugh because they were so over the top and almost felt like they were out of place in Planetos with their mustache twirling villainy. And I still suspect that the original draft of the Unsullied training included them having to crush a newborn kitten and strange a happy baby bunny in addition to the baby and the puppy dog. 

He made them ridiculously evil, arrogant and sadistic so that Daenerys could have the moral high ground. And even so her action is hardly glossed over, she has been dealing with the consequences ever since.

46 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

GRRM  made the slave masters so ridiculously evil that when i read those passages, I actually had to laugh because they were so over the top and almost felt like they were out of place in Planetos with their mustache twirling villainy.

I agree, but the Yunkaï's armies with soldiers perched on stilts or chained together, commanded by fat stupid poussah were even more ridiculous, like Hollywood cartoon's vilains. I've found these passages rather weak and disappointing…

15 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

There's only three dragons in the world, so they are insanely valuable. Also they might not have known that you need someone with Dragonlord ancestry to control dragons. After all it had been hundreds of years, even if they knew it, they might have dismissed that as propaganda or superstition.

Simply having a dragon is already an asset; they'd be one of two powers in the world to have one of those things, they'd ensure that Daenerys would have one less of the beasties and maybe they fought they could train it to be used in war.

I agree with you.  They were not aware that you had to bond with a dragon in order to ride one.  And the goods and the Dothraki were small change to the masters.  Drogon was the prize.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/04/2018 at 0:15 PM, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

I agree with you.  They were not aware that you had to bond with a dragon in order to ride one.  And the goods and the Dothraki were small change to the masters.  Drogon was the prize.

Agreed

Plus as slavers they prob felt like any other asset they own it could be tamed/trained

On 4/15/2018 at 3:20 PM, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

For what purpose did Good Masters want to use Drogon?  They couldn't use Drogon in fighting pits since Drogon is too valuable. Did they have someone with Targaryen blood to control dragon? 

On 4/15/2018 at 5:14 PM, Nowy Tends said:

Yes.

I think they're totally focused on the potential value and the prestige, and they forget the material contingencies…

More, these people are SO used to be obeyed, they don't even consider that an animal can be unwilling…

True enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived