Small Council´s understanding of Petyr´s ledgers

Jaak

Had anyone ever had a look into LF's books before Tyrion became the MoC? I don't think so. 

LF's excuse (Robert, tourneys, whores, wine) was easy enough to swallow and not dig any deeper. Just think that the popular belief that Marie Antoinette's personal spending was what beggared the Crown of France (not, say, debt inherited from Louis XV and not shitty tax system) is alive to this day.

50 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Had anyone ever had a look into LF's books before Tyrion became the MoC? I don't think so. 

LF's excuse (Robert, tourneys, whores, wine) was easy enough to swallow and not dig any deeper. Just think that the popular belief that Marie Antoinette's personal spending was what beggared the Crown of France (not, say, debt inherited from Louis XV and not shitty tax system) is alive to this day.

My point is, Varys or Pycelle may or may not have had a stake at exposing Petyr, but Stannis did have it.

If Stannis could point out to Jon and Robert that Petyr was cheating, or merely exaggerating and not really an improvement over his embattled predecessor, he would have done so.

1 hour ago, Jaak said:

My point is, Varys or Pycelle may or may not have had a stake at exposing Petyr, but Stannis did have it.

If Stannis could point out to Jon and Robert that Petyr was cheating, or merely exaggerating and not really an improvement over his embattled predecessor, he would have done so.

But forensic accounting is not a thing in the Seven Kingdoms. Tyrion, by the grace of the author a very smart guy, had the access to the books (unlike Stan), had powerful motivation to topple Littlefinger, and still couldn't find anything specific enough - just an impression of a rotting fish.

6 hours ago, Jaak said:

My point is that beating Aerys II-s net revenue 10-fold is a tall order. Exceeding it, sure. But not 10-fold.

How do you know? Aerys II left a full treasury, sure, but is this due to Aerys II's administration creating great revenue or Aerys II being a niggardly bastard during the second half of his reign?

The man was a party king in his youth but later on there were no tourneys or other things that cost a lot of money.

And there is no reason to believe that Aerys II Masters of Coin were financial geniuses, either. If they were doing their job conservatively it is entirely possible that the revenues increased tenfold - just as the spending may have increased tenfold. Robert took possession of a full treasury and he married a Lannister of Casterly Rock. He had no reason to think that money would ever be an issue for him.

Archived