Why can't we abandon religion the same way we abandoned the gold standard?

chuck norris 42

2 hours ago, chuck norris 42 said:

You don't have to agree but if you don't agree give a reason

What do you mean by “abandon”?  Each individual on the planet who is currently religious individually stops being religious, all States mandate that no religious worship will be tolerated, or, something else?

Your OP is very nonspecific.

For some, gold buggism is a religion. So, I guess I can sort of see the analogy between the gold standard and getting rid of religion, if you were lets say a Randanista.

But, for most of use, the design of a nation’s monetary system  and policy has nothing to do with religion and mainly is a technocratic matter where we try to achieve the goals of price stability and full employment. And there are plenty of reasons to think the gold standard is a bad system.

But religion is often a matter of personal conscience and eliminating it would require some heavy handed action by the government that is just too much for most people, including myself.

13 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

For some, gold buggism is a religion. So, I guess I can sort of see the analogy between the gold standard and getting rid of religion, if you were lets say a Randanista.

But, for most of use, the design of a nation’s monetary system  and policy has nothing to do with religion and mainly is a technocratic matter where we try to achieve the goals of price stability and full employment. And there are plenty of reasons to think the gold standard is a bad system.

But religion is often a matter of personal conscience and eliminating it would require some heavy handed action by the government that is just too much for most people, including myself.

Most “gold-bugs” don’t understand that the gold standard is simply a more restrictive and less flexible version of fiat currency.

Gold has no intrinsic value beyond being a rare, soft, shiny metal.

9 minutes ago, S John said:

I never abandoned the baked potato.

Ah, verily, a stalwart defenser of the noble Spud!

7 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Religion belongs in the bottom of a well with unwanted girl children.

Why don't we abandon throwing things down wells the way we abandoned defenestrating diplomats?

20 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Ah, verily, a stalwart defenser of the noble Spud!

Why don't we abandon throwing things down wells the way we abandoned defenestrating diplomats?

Cohen is the closest thing Trump has to a diplomat, and I'd throw his ass out a window in Prague.

3 hours ago, S John said:

I never abandoned the baked potato.

Mayhaps it was the the baked potato that abandoned you.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Most “gold-bugs” don’t understand that the gold standard is simply a more restrictive and less flexible version of fiat currency.

Gold has no intrinsic value beyond being a rare, soft, shiny metal.

But... but what will I bury in my back yard when fiat currency collapses?

Archived