Theodan Wells: north or south?

It is unknown whether Commander of the Warrior's sons Theodan Wells is from North or Dorne.

• If he is from Dorne then Doran must know that the guy from one of his vassal houses is currently controlling Warrior's sons. Maybe Doran sent Oberyn's bastard girl to gain confidence of Theodan, not High Septon to accept (f)Aegon.
  • We have no information that House Wells of North serves Seven. If this guy is not true believer then there is high chance that High Septon is Howland Reed. And many northmen are included to plan to revenge Lannisters.

South and I think he's spying for Doran. With Aron Santagar killed during the Bread Riots, Doran may have needed someone else.

Furthermore if he is Dornish (and I am certain he is), we have another member of House Wells traveling with Quentyn to Meereen. William Wells was killed along with Maester Kedry and Cletus Yronwood.

It ups the ante.

7 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

I think the wiki's statement is based on the semi canon Ice and Fire Campaign Guide. That means Theodan is from the North unless GRRM changes his mind.

Very weird choice. Even Iron islands have more houses adapting Seven than North. There is only house of Manderly in the North and GRRM didn't choose it. 

49 minutes ago, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

Very weird choice. Even Iron islands have more houses adapting Seven than North. There is only house of Manderly in the North and GRRM didn't choose it. 

The Islands have a slightly different culture than the North'. Besides, they have a history of Kings adopting the Seven (Hoares), whilst the North does not. But the sole existence of northern characters that at least have the knightly title shows for me that a northern Theodan is plausible.

Remember that a knight having the name “Wells” does not necessarily mean that he has anything much to do with a house bearing that name. Lothor Brune is an example, and Podrick Payne. Lothar Brune is a distant cousin of House Brune, and was nothing more than a sellsword until the Blackwater. There must be any number of hedge knights with distant links through the male line to houses, who use the surname but have little else to do with them.

You could easily imagine a younger son of a younger son of the Northern Wells ending up in the south and their descendants adopting the Seven.

It’s also plausible for a member of House Wells adopting the Seven simply because they prefer that religion, have a particularly pious mother or wife, or whatever. Just because the Faith is less worshipped in the North doesn’t mean no-one converts.

On 18/04/2018 at 6:45 PM, The Wondering Wolf said:

The Manderlys may be the only known followers of the Seven in the North, but some of their vassals might have adopted their faith as well.

The head of House Tallhart, Helman Tallhart, is a knight. I don't know how closely he follows the Seven, but it's a ceremony before the New Gods, not the Old. 

52 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

Southern. Until GRRM tells us otherwise there's no reason to think he comes from a house that probably worships the Old Gods over a house that does worship the Seven.

Maybe you did not read through the thread, but the Ice and Fire Campaign Guide (which contains information provided by GRRM) says Theodan is from the North.

38 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

The head of House Tallhart, Helman Tallhart, is a knight.

That is right, although his brother was not knighted, so Helman's knighthood could have been the result of some war. 

Archived