This Plane Business

Jace, Extat

Thoughts and prayers and whatever of course.

Meanwhile, how about this plane thing? The pilot had balls of steel dude, she's a fucking Navy pilot who used to land fighter jets on carriers. That's pretty wild. And in the audio logs when she's coming in for a landing she's fucking ice cold when talking to the tower.

Right on, pilot lady. I hope she gets a movie, I'm thinking Sigourney Weaver directed by Ron Howard. His directorial was a disaster, but Wally Phfister (spelling?) would probably do great camera work from inside the plane.

And am I the only one kind of hoping that decreased government regulations has caused a trend of defective plane engines? Probably, but that's my longshot pipe dream.

Agree, the pilot was amazing.

My boss was flying last weekend, and he had been talking to some SW employee at the airport who told him that because SW had sold a lot of their older planes and hadn't replaced them as quickly as they planned, the ones they do have are getting a lot more hours on them much quicker than they should be.  And this was BEFORE the incident happened.

Tammie Jo Shults sounds pretty awesome. 

Was at a women's thing today.  There's a famous "unconscious bias" story about a woman confronting her own unconscious bias while on an airplane.  She is at first really excited to hear a woman pilot up front.  There is turbulence, and then she has the reaction "I hope she knows how to fly this thing."  This story was told at this event, with the follow up of, well, now we have Tammie Jo.  

Last night I went to see the musical ‘Come From Away’, about the the response of the people of Gander, Newfoundland when 38 trans-Atlantic flights were directed to land there on 9/11. Gander used to be North America’s largest airport, because planes going both ways had to stop there to refuel.

One of the pilots was the first woman pilot for American Airlines. She was 51 at the time. No one would hire her to fly. She got her start flying dead bodies for a funeral home.

The stories of women in aviation are amazing in terms of the challenges they had to face. This is another great story to add about their skills and success!

ps: Because Newfoundland is an island, when a person leaves the island, the shorthand is they’re ‘away’. Visitors who are not from Newfoundland ‘come from away’.

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Last night I went to see the musical ‘Come From Away’, about the the response of the people of Gander, Newfoundland when 38 trans-Atlantic flights were directed to land there on 9/11. Gander used to be North America’s largest airport, because planes going both ways had to stop there to refuel.

One of the pilots was the first woman pilot for American Airlines. She was 51 at the time. No one would hire her to fly. She got her start flying dead bodies for a funeral home.

The stories of women in aviation are amazing in terms of the challenges they had to face. This is another great story to add about their skills and success!

ps: Because Newfoundland is an island, when a person leaves the island, the shorthand is they’re ‘away’. Visitors who are not from Newfoundland ‘come from away’.

Fantastic show.  My husband and I saw it earlier this winter.  We were both in NY on 9/11. We were both openly sobbing - such a great show.

Archived