Unrequited Love

Darth Sidious

Most interesting? Little finger and Sansa, maybe? (in that he lists for her and she's not into that) Because I will really enjoy watching her free herself from him. 

Most heartrending? Bran and meera. Because that kid is never gonna have a normal life regardless of if he lives in a tree or gets out. She represents everything he will lose to his abilities for me. 

Close second for interesting: JonCon and Rhaegar. Because I am dying to learn more about Rhaegar's life!

21 hours ago, zandru said:

I agree. Jorah was even frequenting Lyseni 'hos, because they had "the look". Daenerys loves her old bear, but not in the carnal sense; she also isn't terribly impressed by his looks. Too old, too hairy (Tyrion elaborates on this.)

I suspect anyone would have been a better match than Daario - and Dany realizes it, to her credit! She was suitably appalled when he suggested she stage a Red Wedding to get rid of all of her "problems" in Meereen. On the other hand, there's that body...

I know right! I would totally pick Jorah over Daario, and I really did think she should have done that. But I suspect she is a bit repulsed by Jorah's carnal attraction to her, given that she has so much regard for him as an older mentor. 

Is Daario really attractive physically? I didn't get that. When we first meet him, he has ridiculous hair and is kind of like a peacock in the mating season. And he seems a bit daft too. It was just so frustrating that she took up with him (what were you THINKING GRRM?!!!). In the show though, he is hawt (and also smart and loyal) so it seems kind of fine. 

On 4/19/2018 at 0:26 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

Cersei and Robert

Because it seems she may have given up on Jaime if Robert didn't get piss drunk on their bedding night and whispered Lyanna.

Cersei was infatuated with Rhaegar. Good King Bob was Rhaegar's killer. I don't see her forgiving him for that ever. The other stuff just served to reinforce her feelings.

On 4/20/2018 at 6:07 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Then why do we love?

Instinct. Something pre-human. As Maester Aemon noted "We were made for love." The desire to bond with and cling to other people, to nurture children. If it were a logical, transactional desire, then ... well, it would be logical. Risk and loss would be minimized. Failures would just be shrugged off. Folks wouldn't stay up late pining or mooning. They'd use a spreadsheet, or at least a ranked list of pros and cons. There wouldn't be any great stories or songs about it, but lots of textbooks.

12 hours ago, zandru said:

Instinct. Something pre-human. As Maester Aemon noted "We were made for love." The desire to bond with and cling to other people, to nurture children. If it were a logical, transactional desire, then ... well, it would be logical. Risk and loss would be minimized. Failures would just be shrugged off. Folks wouldn't stay up late pining or mooning. They'd use a spreadsheet, or at least a ranked list of pros and cons. There wouldn't be any great stories or songs about it, but lots of textbooks.

Oh but folks do make lists of pros and cons, they just do it "unknowingly". There's plenty of logic in mate choosing, it's just that people do it all unconciously.

On 4/20/2018 at 4:14 PM, Faera said:

Got to be Brienne and Renly for me. Mainly because she loves him because of his kindness; he probably felt a bit sorry and found use for her usual skills, and the love was impossible because even if Brienne was "the Beauty" he would never have returned her feelings. Not only was he married to Margaery but it is heavily implied that he had a hidden romance with Loras. I suppose I like it because it is so naive. JonCon and Rhaegar are a similar case, but we know more about Brienne at this point so she wins for now.

Are you certain of Brienne's feelings?  Was it romantic love for Renly?  I am not so certain of that.  She loved him as a knight should love her king.  I suppose that was it.

On 4/22/2018 at 5:20 PM, zandru said:

If we don’t love, how do we treat our spouses? Our children? Our siblings? Do we bully our brothers and sisters? Use children as pawns? Abuse and cheat on our spouses?

Archived