Did Mirri Maz Duur kill Rhaego, or was it Dany being to her?

Leonardo

I don’t think the horse was part of the sacrifice. It was only an ingredient in the ritual.

Drago was in a bath with water and blood.

The blade was bronze and leaf-shaped (CotF) and covered in glyphs (Valyria).

There was a wolf and a man afire.

And she sings a song, “waking powers old and dark”. A song of ice and fire?

4 hours ago, Lollygag said:

I don’t think the horse was part of the sacrifice. It was only an ingredient in the ritual. 

Drago was in a bath with water and blood.

The blade was bronze and leaf-shaped (CotF) and covered in glyphs (Valyria).

There was a wolf and a man afire.

And she sings a song, “waking powers old and dark”. A song of ice and fire?

Oh!  This is fantastic, Lollygag.   Spells and rituals are songs.  The cotf are the singers who sing the song of earth.  Moqorro sings as well when performing his 'magic' on Victarion.  Melisandre's voice is musical.  The dragon sings to Dany in her dream.  Is there a song of fire and blood, water and blood?  I think you are onto something.   

Both of them have responsibilities.

Mirri seeked revenge on Drogo and wanted to free the world from the Stallion Who Mounts the World.

Dany was subconsciously following her dragon dreams towards the ritual to wake the dragons. Drogon and Rhaego were victims of this.

Mirri Maz Duur has always been a complex character. She had good justification in killing Drogo when she got the chance: he and his khalazaar had destroyed her village, killed or enslaved everyone in it, raped all the women. This was their occupation; it wasn't their first. Historically, the "Dothraki Sea" used to be inhabited, having hundreds of cities and villages. The Dothraki, over time, destroyed them all and dispersed their people into slavery.

Drogo was a monster. A very effective monster, which is why the readership loves him, but a very evil man. Daenerys tried not to let herself see this aspect of him. But Mirri refused to ignore or forgive. She put an end to Drogo, while restoring him to "life". She killed his newborn infant, supposedly "the Stallion that Mounts the World" (although we don't actually know the gender). Drogo's weakness before his collapse lost him his khalazaar. His rule was ended.

In short, Mirri did good. Any hatred of her is because of the emotional effect all this had on Dany.

2 hours ago, Leonardo said:

It seems a genuinely tried to heal Drogo at first as well, but perhaps knew that he may die anyway by stubbornly throwing off his poultice.

I always felt the poultice was a test though I can’t say how or why or to what ends. Perhaps if he listened to and saw value in those he had just been so awful to in keeping the poultice in place despite the discomfort, then maybe, maybe, there was some redeemable quality about him and he should be spared...for now. If Mirri did heal him successfully, she’d probably be kept on and if he didn’t measure up, she could kill him later. Anyhow, I think he failed.

It maybe implies that Rhaego's destiny wasn't so certain as she claimed? Maybe Drago's influence for good or bad was a big part of that and Mirri determined it would be bad.

29 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Is it possible that Daenerys would have miscarried Rhaego anyways due to the heavily inbred lines? 

At this point, we have no way of knowing. However, because Drogo was the father, and he wasn't a Targaryen**, inbreeding should not have played much role. But the birth wasn't a "miscarriage" - the baby was carried to term.

We have no idea whether the baby was stillborn or not, normal or deformed, or even male or female. But the idea that "Rhaego" was as described by Mirri Maz Duur is actually doubtful, because of how heavily she layered on the deformities ... and "full of graveworms"? Come on. I suspect it was a normal live birth, and the baby sacrificed.

-------

** Well then, this just PROVES that Drogo was actually a Blackfyre! The inbred baby that he planted in his close relative, Daenerys!! Ignore Drogo's brown skin, black hair, and brown eyes.

1 minute ago, zandru said:

At this point, we have no way of knowing. However, because Drogo was the father, and he wasn't a Targaryen**, inbreeding should not have played much role. But the birth wasn't a "miscarriage" - the baby was carried to term.

We have no idea whether the baby was stillborn or not, normal or deformed, or even male or female. But the idea that "Rhaego" was as described by Mirri Maz Duur is actually doubtful, because of how heavily she layered on the deformities ... and "full of graveworms"? Come on. I suspect it was a normal live birth, and the baby sacrificed.

-------

** Well then, this just PROVES that Drogo was actually a Blackfyre! The inbred baby that he planted in his close relative, Daenerys!! Ignore Drogo's brown skin, black hair, and brown eyes.

Poor Rhaego is still a dead lizard. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2018 at 8:49 PM, zandru said:

-------

Dany does't remember the birth - I really doubt it was live baby.

On a side note; I've been curious about the reaction of Khal Drogo's bloodriders.  There seems to be an absolute prohobition for blood magic enough to want to kill both MMD and Dany:

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys VIII

"This will be," Dany replied.

"Maegi," Haggo growled. And old Cohollo—Cohollo who had bound his life to Drogo's on the day of his birth, Cohollo who had always been kind to her—Cohollo spat full in her face.

"You will die, maegi," Qotho promised, "but the other must die first." He drew his arakh and made for the tent.

On 4/18/2018 at 10:53 PM, Leonardo said:

I always assumed yes until I listened to a chapter today, but now I'm curious as Mirri is much more of a gray character in the books.

There's actually fairly little evidence he's even dead.

On 4/19/2018 at 9:36 AM, The Sunland Lord said:

Who really knows what Daenerys saw there.

MMD's dancing shadows? The same shadows Bran saw. Dany's wolf is Bran's hound. Dany's man on fire is Bran's armored like the sun. The shadow missing from MMD's tent is "armored in stone". It's absence in the later vision is relevant.

The only shade of gray is that it's Dany's child she kills. If it was any other tyrant's child, who was to conquer the world whose father's army raped, pillaged and burned her village and people, she's be a heroine. But because it's Dany, she's evil.

6 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

The only shade of gray is that it's Dany's child she kills. If it was any other tyrant's child, who was to conquer the world whose father's army raped, pillaged and burned her village and people, she's be a heroine. But because it's Dany, she's evil.

Actually I mean grey because she seems to actually try to heal Drogo at first with her poultice

18 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

Actually I mean grey because she seems to actually try to heal Drogo at first with her poultice

See that I was never sure of.  Did MMD poison him, or did he just screw himself by not wearing it? Guess it doesn't matter and we'll never get a definitive answer. Seems a rather awkward 180 though if she was legitimately trying to heal Drogo.

Archived