*January Reading Thread*

nobodymN

I'm really enjoying Valente's The Orphan's Tale: In the Night Garden, even as I keep having to remind myself who is telling whose's story and when, and trying to pick up on the implications of the POV.

Thus far, Hal Duncan's Ink is baffling. I'm completely enthralled, but I'm still trying to consolidate my thoughts on one of the threads. Great opener to the book - as Hal apparently talks to us and a boy at the same time.

Finally got Amazon to send me the two-volume "JRRT Companion and Guide", and am wading through that. The Chronology volume is rather dry, but the Reader's Guide has some decent content.

Aratan

The Valente book was one of my four (three?) favorite reads of 2006 precisely because of how she lifted the framework for The Arabian Nights and applied it to the fairy tale format. Very excellent work!

Looks like it'll be a month or two before I'll get to read Ink, but good to know that that it isn't going to choke on Goodkind's Yeard at least!

As for my planned reads for this month, depends on my time, as I return to teaching on Thursday, but I should get to read these at least:

Han Shaogong, The Dictionary of Maqiao

Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day

China Miéville, Between Equal Rights: A Marxist Theory of International Law

And if they arrive in the mail on time:

Salvador Plascencia, The People of Paper

Edward Whittemore, Jerusalem Poker

The Valente book was one of my four (three?) favorite reads of 2006 precisely because of how she lifted the framework for The Arabian Nights and applied it to the fairy tale format. Very excellent work!

I was wondering if you have read Robert Louis Stevenson's excellent New Arabian Nights?

Currently reading Elantris by Brandon Sanderson.

Waiting to get to the book store to pick up the final Hunter S. Thompson letters collection The Mutineer, which is released today. I'll sift through that one as the month goes along.

Also on the reading stack:

The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

The Prestige by Christopher Priest. A very good book. I liked how the magicians' points of view were in journal form making the feud between them that much more ambiguous. I also like how the feud's effect was carried on to later generations. Now I just have to see the movie.

Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Another very good book. Excellent characterization and pace. I like how the background and setting were slowly revealed through each character's story, filling in the details step by step. Only part I didn't like was the poetry. Can't stand poetry. :|

Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner. Yet another book with excellent characterization. Kushner seems to have a knack for condensing plot and not getting bogged down in details so that the story is actually shorter than you would expect. Definitely looking forward to her other books.

Heaven's Reach by David Brin. Decent finale to the second Uplift trilogy. A little anticlimatic, but I'm glad he steered away from the plucky hero sort of ending that had been built up a bit in the earlier novels.

My January queue will consist of the following ..

The Mirror of Her Dreams (Mordant's Need Book One) by Stephen R. Donaldson

A Man Rides Through (Mordant's Need Book Two) by Stephen R. Donaldson

And if I have time ..

Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley and The Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay

I was wondering if you have read Robert Louis Stevenson's excellent New Arabian Nights?

Nope, but I shall most certainly look for it now that it's been brought to my attention!

Due to the arrival of a bunch of vouchers from Santa, there will be some new stuff to read shortly. :D

We have picked up Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley and I will get into that shortly. I'm looking forward to it actually. We also grabbed the third book of the Quicksilver series by Stan Nicholls (sp?). I have not yet read any of this series so I will give it a shot now that we have all three.

After Lady Stubby is done with Fevre Dream (which was somewhat difficult to locate here) I will also get onto that.

For those interested in political/spy stuff, I just finished Vince Flynn's Act of Treason and found it to be rather typical Mitch Rapp stuff but still a good thriller.

Finished up The Final Reflection by John M. Ford. Its a Star Trek book and the first look that was ever really seen if the Kligons that didn't portray them just as the bad guys. Excellent book

Full review on the blog

Starting on Dragon Avenger by E.E. Knight. Book 2 of the Age of Fire series. Book one was pretty good.

Currently reading A Storm of Swords - Steel and Snow and (ofcourse) enjoying every bit of it! I guess it's never too late to pick up a wonderful book like this, even after six years that it has been released. After that, I'll read the second part, Blood and Gold and will move on to AFfA. Looking forward to it, though, because then I can finally browse freely through all these spoiler threads on this board. :mellow:

Not sure what's next after all this Martin stuff, I heard Bakker was great but I can't seem to find any of his books in the Dutch bookstores. Argh, frustrating.

If you like Scott Lynch, and you like crime novels, pick up The Wheelman by Duane Swierczynski. It's a novel about a bank robbery where things don't go exactly as planned for the getaway driver, and he spends the rest of the book trying to rectify things, but the shit just gets deeper and deeper. Very fast moving with a "Pulp Fiction" kinda feel. Always unexpected, and a lot of dark humor. Really liked it.

Also read The Road by Macarthy. Everything everyone has said about it is true.

Spent this past weekend working through some short stories by Joe Hill (20th Century Ghosts). Good stuff. And also a really good writer I hadn't heard of until this past week, Mary Gaitskill (Bad Behavior). Also good stuff, but not speculative fiction. She wrote the short story that the James Spader movie, The Secretary, was based on.

Finished the third book of Kay's Fionavar trilogy. Currently reading Klegane's choice, the Gates of Fire, because I only skimmed it the first time. I am actually going through the trouble of reading it cover to cover this time, and it is better than expected. I only read it piecemeal the first time.

Well, I've been working through the pile of books that I got for Christmas. First thing I read was Starship Troopers (Yes, I'm a good ways behind on literature.), which I managed to finish by the next day. Then I set into Dread Empire's Fall: Praxis, which was a great book and I was psyched to read the next one... That is, until I realized I didn't have it, and only had Conventions of War. A trip to the book store proved pointless, and thus I've gotta order it on-line, which I'll probably get to soon. So, I started on The Trojan War: A New History, which I've been slowly working my way through. I've still got Hyperion, Spin, Ender's Game, Armor, Accelerando and the Forever War.

Archived