William Gibson’s ‘The Peripheral’ Adaptation in the Works at Amazon From Jonathan Nolan, Lisa Joy

AncalagonTheBlack

Jesus,just how many SFF books is Amazon gonna adapt? Oh well,here's another one...:D

Amazon continues to search for its epic genre hit series.

The digital service is in script development on an adaptation of William Gibson’s science fiction novel “The Peripheral.” The project is being produced by Kilter Films in association with Warner Bros. Television and Amazon Studios, and is being eyed for a straight-to-series order.

Scott B. Smith will serve as writer and executive producer on the project, with “Westworld” creators Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy also exec producing. Vincenzo Natali is set to direct and exec produce. Additional executive producers are Steven Hoban and Kilter Films’ Athena Wickham.

The project marks another big swing at the science fiction and fantasy genres favored by Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, who last year issued a directive to the company’s entertainment division to focus less on niche programming and more on projects that could develop into the digital giant’s own “Game of Thrones.”

They are trying to do something(s) else(s) though, too.

At least judging by the close familiarity I happen to have with a particular project that HBO, Amazon and Netflix are bidding for.

For me, whether television (streaming, etc.) or films though, these future sfnal things look so much alike and have so much the same arcs, they are fairly interchangeable.  And this, considering how much Bill was thinking of the original Blade Runner when he was writing his early works, including Neuromancer, doesn't bode particularly well.  The same treatment is given sfnal future television - movies's look and style as the generic sf/f publishers do with the covers of the print versions. And currently the look is peculiarly unattractive (to my eyes!).

Archived