US Politics: House of the Rising Sun

DMC

What’s the Deal With Chuck Schumer’s Pot Bill?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/04/so-whats-the-deal-with-schumers-marijuana-legalization-bill.html

In an interview with Vice News that aired Thursday night, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer announced that he would be introducing a bill to decriminalize marijuana. “If smoking marijuana doesn’t hurt anybody else, why shouldn’t we allow people to do it and not make it criminal?” he asked.

20 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Cynthia Nixon, challenging Cuomo for the Dem nom for NY governor, is all about seriously legalizing mj as recreational possession like alcohol.

Supposedly in NY state medical is available, but the hurdles are impossible for most patients to receive it.  Must be enrolled in the correct health plans, with prescribing physicians totally circumscribed, blahblahblah -- just like liquor licenses -- which time forever are carefully limited in numbers.  What Nixon and Schumer want to do is blow this out of the water for medical.  But this would also blow up the state liquor license license <stet> to print money for the state budget, etc.  Which is who stands in the way of medical and recreational.

Good luck, Cynthia and Chuck.  Nobody's yet broken the NY state liquor license rules since prohibition.

6 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Now, with an academic email address I get a lot of ridiculous stuff, but they usually at least solicit something and make some tangible sense.  Alternatively, I just got the below and I don't even know where to start.

That's pretty impressive. All I ever got were claims of international conspiracies seeking to hide "truths" such as the Higgs boson really being an isotope of Xenon.

3 hours ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

Your fingers would remember their old strength better if they grasped your Sword of Doom

I actually LOL'd.  But let's not encourage him.

2 hours ago, Rippounet said:

That website is so 1998...

But yeah, I think the date is a clue here.

Right?  It's like if that Nigerian prince got really high.

1 hour ago, Altherion said:

That's pretty impressive. All I ever got were claims of international conspiracies seeking to hide "truths" such as the Higgs boson really being an isotope of Xenon.

Well, you sir have been missing out on a tonnage of bullshit.

Another episode in the most guiltiest innocent man.

President Trump on Saturday attacked The New York Times for its reporting on his personal attorney, Michael Cohen, and expressed confidence Cohen will remain loyal to him while under federal investigation. 

“The New York Times and a third rate reporter named Maggie Haberman, known as a Crooked H flunkie who I don’t speak to and have nothing to do with, are going out of their way to destroy Michael Cohen and his relationship with me in the hope that he will ‘flip,’ ” Trump tweeted. 

"Sorry, I don’t see Michael doing that despite the horrible Witch Hunt and the dishonest media!" he added.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/384249-trump-denies-cohen-will-flip

Trump is the perfect response to an old Chris Rock skit.

https://youtu.be/uj0mtxXEGE8

4 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Bwahahahaha!

See, this is what being wealthy is for. I can abide Bourgeoisie overlords if they sate the masses with entertaining infighting. 

It's been keeping the classes stable for most of human history.

45 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

lol, i posted a pic from the train upthread.   i'm ashamed I didn't think to take out this ad myself.   I suppose this one way for Cohen to increase his client base.

Oh that's right you did!   >g<  Oh well, it's a fun ad, for us anyway.

11 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Oh that's right you did!   >g<  Oh well, it's a fun ad, for us anyway.

oh I didn't mean it like that!-- I'm glad you posted the Gothamist link on it (I didn't know how to embed a pic from the phone).    it apparently only costs $50-100 per horizontal ad.  good to know for future reference.   The number goes to a fabricated voicemail account, btw.  It would have been pretty good if he set it up to go to like the DNC donations or something, but I'm guessing MTA won't put up an ad without a working number relating to the ad itself.

6 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

oh I didn't mean it like that!-- I'm glad you posted the Gothamist link on it (I didn't know how to embed a pic from the phone).    it apparently only costs $50-100 per horizontal ad.  good to know for future reference.   The number goes to a fabricated voicemail account, btw.  It would have been pretty good if he set it up to go to like the DNC donations or something, but I'm guessing MTA won't put up an ad without a working number relating to the ad itself.

Fabricated voice mail for a man who's barely a lawyer, the irony. Who knew subway ads were so cheap?   I recently learned how to post from my phone and in fact posted the tweet from there.  Once you learn, it's easy.  

Bad News for President Trump

The Comey memos are more revealing than they seem.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/04/comey-memos-credible/558611/

Second, it follows that the president will have to make his defense on obstruction on different grounds: Ultimately, he’s going to have to argue that the conduct Comey is describing is acceptable behavior. This would be a tricky business under the best of circumstances, because it’s so manifestly not acceptable behavior in a president. The problem for Trump is that he is most unlikely to get to make this argument under anything like the best of circumstances. Comey’s story may be the pointy end of the spear the president is facing, but it is not the spear itself—just a piece of it. There’s a lot, after all, that Jim Comey doesn’t know, that isn’t in his testimony, that isn’t in his book, and that isn’t in these memos.

California Considers Medical Price Controls

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/04/california-considers-medical-price-controls.html

The California proposal would give a new state board authority to regulate the prices that health insurance plans charge for anything from a doctor visit to a knee replacement. It would use Medicare prices as a baseline, setting prices as a percentage of what the federal program that covers elderly Americans currently charges.

A true “all-payer” system would set prices for services paid for by Medicare and Medicaid as well. But since the Trump administration’s cooperation would be necessary to do that, the proposal instead pegs privately insured costs to whatever the federal government decides to provide via Medicare

Jeff Sessions Reportedly Warned He’d Likely Walk if Trump Fired Rosenstein

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/04/jeff-sessions-reportedly-warned-hed-likely-walk-if-trump-fired-rosenstein.html

Attorney General Jeff Sessions told White House counsel Donald McGahn last weekend that if President Trump fired his deputy, Rod Rosenstein, he may have to leave his job, the Washington Post reports. Sessions gave the warning as the Trump’s fury at Rosenstein soared after the approval of the FBI raid on the president’s personal attorney, Michael Cohen.

Although he couched it in uncertain terms, Sessions’ warning “underscores the political firestorm that Trump would invite should he attempt to remove the deputy attorney general,” notes the Post. If Sessions were to leave, others would certainly follow, potentially creating “a moment of profound crisis for the White House.”

I suppose I should feel touched.  For whatever reason, articles from 'The Federalist' keep turning up on my Facebook.  Annoyed at the distorted views, I took to responding.  One set of these articles I responded kept going on about wasteful democratic spending and praising the virtues of libertarian oriented conservative finance.  I pointed out that debt actually went down under democratic administrations, and backed it up with links. 

Then this piece popped up in the 'opinion' section of the MSNBC site.  I'm wondering if my responses or somebody else's hit a nerve.  

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/no-republican-presidents-aren’t-responsible-for-most-of-america’s-debt/ar-AAw0yAi?ocid=msnclassic

Basically, they admitted that yes, presidents do inherit debt and obligations from prior administrations (something they previously ignored) but also claim that the main reason for debt reduction under democratic presidents has to do with GOP controlled congresses holding the purse strings. 

Archived