Cressen's attempt on Mellisandre's life

Maria Maria

Did Cressen really belived that by killing Mellisandre will stop the spreading of R'hllor Faith beyond Dragonstone? Mellisandre was only a vessel, not the hole religion.

Or did he tried to do it because he regarded Stannis as his own son, and did not wanted for him to change his Faith like his wife was done?

Did he made the decission on his own?  Where the maesters from Old Town behind this, and Cressen was only trying to fulfil a task?

It was a desperation move -- not to stop the spread of the religion but just to save Stannis. I believe there is some text in Cressen's POV where he thinks the red woman is controlling his mind, or at the very least influencing his thought processes through lies and misinformation.

I think he did look upon all three Baratheon boys as sons, but he had special feelings for Stannis because he was always such an unhappy soul, vastly different from both Robert and Renly. I don't think he really cared what religion Stannis adopts, but the red woman is talking about warring against the 7K in order to put Stannis on the throne, which at that point looked like madness since he was in such a weak military position.

It seems like he made the decision on his own. He finds the crystals in his solar that afternoon and then deploys them in the evening, so I doubt that would be enough time for a raven to make it to the Citadel and back -- and I doubt Cressen has a glass candle.

On 21.4.2018 at 0:27 AM, Maria Maria said:

Or did he tried to do it because he regarded Stannis as his own son,

i think so, he acted out of love for his quasi son and not out of loyality to a secret maester plan or something like that.

btw.: am i the only one who feels like this is a rewritten Davos chapter?

would be sad, a missed opportunity to write a prologue with one of robert's bastards who is hunted down by the gold cloaks as POV, imo

Archived