Dunk is not true knight. How does it affect story?

If someone reveals the truth about Dunk's knighthood how will it affect story? For example, Manfred Dondarrion visits Jena, wife of Prince Baelor in Red Keep and Aegon V begins to question Dunk's knighthood after Manfred reveals that he doesn't remember Dunk serving Arlan. If Aegon V reveals truth everyone will mock him since he made a commoner Lord Commander of Kingsguard.

10 minutes ago, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

If someone reveals the truth about Dunk's knighthood how will it affect story? For example, Manfred Dondarrion visits Jena, wife of Prince Baelor in Red Keep and Aegon V begins to question Dunk's knighthood after Manfred reveals that he doesn't remember Dunk serving Arlan. If Aegon V reveals truth everyone will mock him since he made a commoner Lord Commander of Kingsguard.

Literally the whole point of the story, and keeping it unclear, is that it doesn’t matter.

It doesn’t matter who your parents are, if you are a bastard, the son of a king, or a pig boy, what matters is how you act.

Being Knightly isn’t about a blessing or oils or a coat of arms, it’s about protecting the weak, behaving honorably, and keeping your word.

In the words of a Knight’s Tale:

What a pair we make, huh? Both trying to hide who we are, both unable to do so. Your men love you. If I knew nothing else about you, that would be enough. But you also tilt when you should withdraw... and that is knightly, too.”

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Someone knights Dunk on the spot. Any knights he knighted are now non-knights and will need to be knightified. Other than that, nothing changes.

That's why he did not knight the green apple. 

1 hour ago, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

But Aegon will get angry, yes?

The only person who claimed it to be true is Dunk. The only witness was the deceased knight and a robin in a thorn tree. So, the only one who could ever admit the truth is Dunk. 

55 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I think he will adore him even more so. He is acting as a knight should despite not being a knight while many knights and lords who are also knights don't act as a true knight should.

I totally agree, Aegon V probably wouldn’t even mind keeping him not knighted and still serving as Lord Commander given how much he respects him.

The truest knights in the story are not "proper" knights: Dunk and his descendant Brienne. 

I agree w/ what @LiveFirstDieLater said above. It's not for nothing that Martin didn't let his editor (Groell, I think) take some of the several "Words are wind!" out. Words are wind, and what matters are your actions, not who you were born to or what you say.

1 hour ago, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

But Aegon will get angry, yes?

What, after squiring for Dunc for many years and traveling from one end of Westeros to the other with him? Aegon would probably laugh.

9 minutes ago, Lady Jowana said:

Aegon V probably wouldn’t even mind keeping him not knighted and still serving as Lord Commander given how much he respects him.

Har! So Sandor Clegane would not have been the first member of the Kings Guard who wasn't a knighted knight!

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The only person who claimed it to be true is Dunk. The only witness was the deceased knight and a robin in a thorn tree. So, the only one who could ever admit the truth is Dunk. 

Right, because little birds and dead men never share any secrets in this story!

haha hopefully clearly a joke

2 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

At what point? Not in the Tales of Dunk and Egg we have so far...

No, it would have happened later than that. My guess is in one of three scenarios. In all scenarios it's Dunk's conscience that gets the better of him.

1) when Egg himself is to be knighted, and he wants Dunk to knight him.

2) when Dunk is named to the KG. 

3) when Dunk is named LC.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

No, it would have happened later than that. My guess is in one of three scenarios. In all scenarios it's Dunk's conscience that gets the better of him.

1) when Egg himself is to be knighted, and he wants Dunk to knight him.

2) when Dunk is named to the KG. 

3) when Dunk is named LC.

I have seen it speculated before that Egg will insist on Dunk knighting him, so Dunk will confide his secret with Egg, who, in turn, will knight him. 

5 hours ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Literally the whole point of the story, and keeping it unclear, is that it doesn’t matter.

It doesn’t matter who your parents are, if you are a bastard, the son of a king, or a pig boy, what matters is how you act.

Being Knightly isn’t about a blessing or oils or a coat of arms, it’s about protecting the weak, behaving honorably, and keeping your word.

In the words of a Knight’s Tale:

What a pair we make, huh? Both trying to hide who we are, both unable to do so. Your men love you. If I knew nothing else about you, that would be enough. But you also tilt when you should withdraw... and that is knightly, too.”

This. Its Sandor and Gregor from another angle. Or Brienne for that matter. True knights aren't true knights at all. 

It depends on when this revelation takes place.  If it had happened while he was alive, for sure the political fall out would tarnish his reputation and it becomes a public relations nightmare for Aegon V, who was already one of the weakest kings in the Targaryen dynasty.  No one except the historians would care if it became known today.  And this is only because they have to rewrite their scrolls and parchment by hand.  Totally inconvenient.

Archived