Food of ice and fire

Deepbollywood Motte

Today I came to the knowledge that there is a cookbook based on GRRM's descriptions of food. As someone who likes to eat and cook, I ordered it today and it will probably have it tomorrow (I will try to make a recipe tomorrow i guess.)

I really like the way too long descriptions of food and feasts in the book, some things sound bland, some absurd, but most really good. 

So, I know this has been discussed before but the post is archived, what food in the novels sounds most appetizing to you, have some of you tried recipes from the book, what would you like to taste?

For me it's actually quite simple, every time the books mentioned "bread still warm from the oven" it waters my mouth, I don't care what they serve with it. (And I secretly also want to taste a puppy)

7 minutes ago, JaneSnow said:

I always thought that the cheeses described in the book were really gross sounding but this one like salad of apples, nuts, and raisins that sounded kinda nice. Also did you mean to type puppy?

Well, cheese is always gross to describe; "yeah we took milk, curded the shit and let it rot for months, believe me it's great"

Yes the Ghiscari puppy, never had one (obviously) and I'm intrigued... they seem to eat it on a regular basis so it can't be that bad, and I like to try strange local delicatasses.

54 minutes ago, JaneSnow said:

I could never eat a dog.

Well that's just cultural, you don't see them as food, you don't eat them. Carnivores seem to be a bad source of protein anyway and they give a bad hunt so nobody really eats them (except for Koreans apparently) but would they taste really bad? If you eat a pig or a cow, why not a dog?

23 minutes ago, Deepbollywood Motte said:

Well that's just cultural, you don't see them as food, you don't eat them. Carnivores seem to be a bad source of protein anyway and they give a bad hunt so nobody really eats them (except for Koreans apparently) but would they taste really bad? If you eat a pig or a cow, why not a dog?

Because we don't eat our friends.

13 minutes ago, Deepbollywood Motte said:

I only have some cats walking about who I would eat in times of duress as they would eat me, same with dogs IMO.

Duress isn't trying a new delicacy for the novelty of a new experience. I might eat a friend in a Storm's End sort of situation and I wouldn't have a problem with them eating me if I died. But we don't eat our friends for novel new experiences.

8 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Duress isn't trying a new delicacy for the novelty of a new experience. I might eat a friend in a Storm's End sort of situation and I wouldn't have a problem with them eating me if I died. But we don't eat our friends for novel new experiences.

Honeyed dog though, with some garlic and mustard... can't taste bad.

1 minute ago, Deepbollywood Motte said:

Honeyed dog though, with some garlic and mustard... can't taste bad.

Guilt doesn't taste good at all. It can't taste any better than any other non-friend meat available. That was put into the books because we were supposed to be repulsed by it. Note that they also kill babies in front of the their mothers. We weren't supposed to go "mmmmmmm, puppies".

6 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

Guilt doesn't taste good at all. It can't taste any better than any other non-friend meat available. That was put into the books because we were supposed to be repulsed by it. Note that they also kill babies in front of the their mothers. We weren't supposed to go "mmmmmmm, puppies".

Off course you're right, but I can't help myself... where are my locusts? They seemed great until Stong Belwas got poisened.

Apart from that; I think food is a big theme of the story, it foreshadows, it gives background and it defines cultures. 

Just now, Deepbollywood Motte said:

Off course you're right, but I can't help myself... where are my locusts? They seemed great until Stong Belwas got poisened.

Apart from that; I think food is a big theme of the story, it foreshadows, it gives background and it defines cultures. 

Go watch some puppies on Youtube. They're much more enjoyable that way.

But completely agree with food being a huge part of the story. I noticed pig and suckling pig representing human sacrifice, more specifically that of one's own children. American Horror Story: Roanoke used the same device so it must be part of a larger cultural thing, at least in the US.

Well, I've made a fresh greens salad with pecans. Tried my hand at "three-finger Hobb's three-meat stew" (needs some work!). I've considered and rejected the idea of buying a cookbook of the alleged recipes. All a person needs to do is read the description and take it from there.

But I draw the line at the prince & bacon pie.

Archived