how inbred is daenerys?

manchester_babe

Well, their parents are siblings (Aerys and Rhaella), and their two grandfathers were siblings too (Jaehaerys and Shaera). That means that generation -3 had only two individuals instead of 8 individuals that most people have. That's as much inbreeded as you can get.

But before that, the inbreeding is very limited. Egg married a Blackwood, his father Maekar married a Dayne, and his grandfather Daeron a Martell. So the genepool of Jaehaerys and Shaera was mixed enough.

1 hour ago, Kandrax said:

There is no Jaehaerys in the show.

True that. If you ignore his generation, Dany and Co could be less inbreeded. Although the show is not clear on the repercussions of Jaehaery's elimination. We don't know if Egg would be supposed to marry "his sister" Saera, or would still marry Alys Blackwood.

We know the Targarian indreeding practice has existed for centuries. Something about keeping the bloodline pure to control the dragons, and to consolidate power within their own house. 

Obviously many generations did not marry their family otherwise the bloodline would have died out long ago, but enough did to where the people coined the phrase "When a Targarian is born the gods flip a coin." Referring to the inherited madness that befalls the children of incest.

It is also presented in a rather Blase' manner when discussing the Targarian dynasty to the point I feel people just accepted it as a standard practice and were no longer surprised by it. That also tells me it happened somewhat frequently. But that last bit is really just my reading of the lines delivered.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2018 at 1:33 PM, The hairy bear said:

True that. If you ignore his generation, Dany and Co could be less inbreeded. Although the show is not clear on the repercussions of Jaehaery's elimination. We don't know if Egg would be supposed to marry "his sister" Saera, or would still marry Alys Blackwood.

Why did they delete Jaehaerys? They also seem to have taken out Egg’s eldest brother Daeron, which would throw a wrench into any adaptation of Dunk and Egg.

On 5/20/2018 at 8:31 AM, Angel Eyes said:

Why did they delete Jaehaerys? They also seem to have taken out Egg’s eldest brother Daeron, which would throw a wrench into any adaptation of Dunk and Egg.

My guess is just ease. Aemon being great great Uncle to Dany and great great great uncle to Rhaegar's children might have seemed off to watchers. The lineage originated from Aemon letting Jon know his background, I believe.

On 5/20/2018 at 2:31 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Why did they delete Jaehaerys?

Jaehaerys was "deleted" in a first season episode where maester Aemon explained to Jon that the mad King had been his nephew and Rhaegar his grandnephew.

When they were writing that, B&B they did not even conceive that this could become a problem when developing prequel shows. In some interviews they even admitted that at the time their worries were whether HBO would cancel the show before they were able to shoot the Red Wedding (their favorite part of the books).

So probably they thought that "nephew and grandnephew" was easier to say and understand than "grandnephew and grand-grandnephew", and did not give the issue any second thought.

Archived