HBO series a real possibilty? HELL YEAH!

Kat

I'll definately agree with this. Not only is it cheaper to shoot in Kiwi land, but it's famous for being the place in the world with the widest range of terrain in the smallest space: Mountains, beach, plains, forest, desert(?), rocky shores, sandy shores and overall breathtaking scenery.

But ASOIAF is more about the mechanations of the nobility than traveling across wide pastoral scenery -- this isn't LOTR. That's why I say use real castles in Eastern Europe.

:agree: with Bazzlebane, as much as it pains me to admit it.

I looooove breathtaking scenery. I'm one of those suckers that would go to an IMAX and just watch films with music and scenery in them. And when I travel, I like to go to the uninhabited parts. But face it--we saw NZ (sometimes, multiple locations at once in composite shots) in LOTR. We don't need to see it on HBO. My TV is small anyway; I'd much rather watch people backstab each other than look at pretty mountains on TV.

In terms of the big cost questions coming up, while it would undoubtably be expensive, CGI will both be cheaper and better in 2011 or whenever this actually happens. Secondly, the series has far less big battles "on screen" than you think -- Whispering Wood was not witnessed first hand by the readers, for example. Battle of the Blackwater was the biggest battle actually "shown". So it's do-able w/o 50,000 extras.

This makes me excited and nervous at the same time. If they screw it (though i have faith in HBO thanks to "The Wire" and "Rome"), it will be blasphemy, and ASOIAF fans everywhere will be screaming bloody murder. However, if they do it right....well lets just say it will be the greatest thing to happen to TV since the Simpsons...

Link here

Variety article

And here I thought the best news coming out of Hollywood was that Lost potentially has an ending and the writers were discussing, er, plot arcs. :P

HUZZAH!

Will George have much input with HBO to make sure they don't screw it up too much...although it might not be such a problem considering HBO's track record with The Wire and Rome

You know, someone correct me if I'm wrong with this, but has HBO done a series like this (or the Sopranos or Deadwood or whatever) that was based on an established work like this before? I want to say no, but I'm not sure

If this is the case, this is a two-edged sword. Unlike,say, OZ or Rome, an ASOIAF show will have a built-in base of fans. However, HOB has to know that this base of fans are going t have certain expectations.

But it just struck me that most of HBO's big series is something that hasn't existed in another media before. This will be something new for them, too.

If they do this there won't be battles. Rome doesn't show any. They're just too expensive. So far, though, the series doesn't really need them.

Really only the Battles of the Green Fork and Blackwater are required, assuming Tyrion and Davos are PoVs. (And they had better be...)

Well, I get Ned. You can be Ilyn Payne and give me the chopsies.
If I kill you, do I become you?

assuming Tyrion and Davos are PoVs. (And they had better be...)

There will be a lot less characters. Tyrion and Davos will exist, but overall...

And I doubt you'll see much of a specific POV feel -- I assume scenes will jump around roughly chronologically like just about every other tv show.

If I kill you, do I become you?

I dunno. You get Ice, is that good enough?

I never thought someone would be crazy enough to try this. This is great news though, if it is to be done, it can't get any better than: TV Series + HBO + Each book one season

About battles: LQ beat me to it, I'll be very surprised if we see any big battles on a TV series budget. I wonder how they will handle the Wildling attack on the wall.

Could someone who understands how Hollywood works please answer two questions for the benefit of the clueless:

1. What is the probability that this series actually goes all the way and gets produced?

2. Approximately how much money will GRRM get out of this deal?

Actually...Davos could largely be dropped for plot purposes, as he is largely there as an observer of Stannis. He really only does something when he convinces Stannis to sail north. I'm not saying he should be cut, by any means, but a reduction in screentime for him seems likely. :(

In an indirectly related note, one thing this series will do, should it ever come to fruition, is massively expand GRRM's exposure and we'll have to deal with a crazy influx of opinions from people who've never even read the books...

I guess Tolkien fans had to deal with that after the LOTR movies...

Will Ran have to create spoiler-free TV series sub-forums? I can picture a lot of assholes jumping around shrieking "Ned's gonna die!" all over teh internets.

"I still can't believe Vader is Luke's father" :D

Concerning LOTR, unless you were there in 2001, you truly have no idea. Even the biggest Tolkien and LOTR movies boards were flooded and saw the number of posters multiply by 10 in 2 weeks.

2. Approximately how much money will GRRM get out of this deal?

Just the fact he'll be selling 2-3 times more ASOIAF in a matter of months will be big enough ;) Then, I hope he has some pretty neat deal. If he's exec producer, he may.

I know that George had hinted at NEWS... and frankly, until we get his confirmation of it, I flat-out refuse to believe it. It sounds too much like an April Fools joke.

Merentha mentions one of the reasons I'm not totally squeeing about this myself... I worry that a number of characters will be dropped, or have their role in the series reduced, or be altered or even (shudders) made into an amalgam of two characters.

I'm trying to see this as being an alternative version of the story, rather than anything else. As such it could be very, very cool... but never as good as the original.

Not sure how they could do this without battles. The climax of the second book is one big battle. And they can't not show the scene where Jaime tries to fight his way up to Robb! I always loved it. But of course, if such costs are a question, that battle is smaller anyhow, so I doubt it would be a major problem. The woods would hide the full scale of the battle.

And yes, the POV structure would be replaced. So some POVs like Davos may seem less prominent. But again, they can't not have his scene with Mel in aCoK. That's just way too creepy. So hopefully he'll feature.

GRRM is co-executive producing and writing an episode in each series, so I think it is likely to be true enough to the books. In some ways its all set up to be a great series, since GRRM has already had plenty Hollywood experience, so he wouldn't be going into this with his eyes closed.

I think the probability of it been produced still seems like no better than 50/50. Its got a long way to go. HBO did say they were going to do Preacher also a few months back, so they are going down the route of adapting series. If they have made progress on that since, then that would be a positive sign for aSoIaF.

I think it's weird the rights were bought before the series was done. I doubt they'll start any work on it until GRRM is done with the books, anyways, so we'll looking onto a distant horizon right now.

I don't know. Given that aDwD will be done soon hopefully, they'll have 4 series to make (amalgamating aFfC with aDwD). That should keep them busy for years. And considering the lead time, book 6 could be out before this comes to the screen.

And yes, i'm sure the actors/actresses wouldn't be big names but there are bound to be some familar faces.

Archived