HBO series a real possibilty? HELL YEAH!

Kat

Massed armies of Orcs/elves or other non-humans.

Season 7 probably will.

Gollum as a central character.

Again, dragons are central to the story.

Dramatic landscapes that need large amounts of CGI assistance.

The Wall.

Overall, it will be an expensive series to produce, but not as costly as other fantasy stuff out there.

But yeah, still true.

Just another question. They say one series per book. Now since AFFC/ADWD run parallel, will there be simply one series for each book? Or one series covering both? Or perhaps one series covering chronologically, the first half of AFFC/ADWD and then a second series covering the second half? I dont know if having one series cover half of the characters, then the next going back and covering the other half like it does with the books would work in a TV show.

Hm...there were a lot of rumours going around about this in L.A.

Assuming it happens (and it IS only a possibility at the moment - they've only aquired the rights to do a series) - we really shouldn't be expecting to see the books on screen. Just ain't gonna happen. There's going to be a lot of condensing & cutting, alterations to make things work on screen that wouldn't work taken directly from the books, major events happening offscreen, battles reduced to interaction/fighting between small groups etc

That said, ASoIaF is in it's own way very.....telegenic (is that the right word?) already (GRRM was a scriptwriter, and it shows IMO). One of GRRM's real strenghts is in his ability to describe scenes, settings and appearances. The downside of this is it means we all have a fairly clear idea ourselves of what the characters and locations look like, the upside is it gives a real solid basis to get the FEEL of the books right. And I think that's what we should be hoping for - that the atmosphere of the books translates even if the events, characters, scenes and dialogue changes. I'm less hung up about seeing every single detail of the books recreated exactly on screen than I am about them staying tru to the spirit of the work.

God knows - I think a lot of the dialogue will have to be changed radically. A speech in the middle of a sword fight works much better on the written page than it does on screen:p

I've got a lot of faith in HBO though, haven't seen anything bad from them yet, even the stuff that wasn't really to my taste I can see why people like it. Like folks have said, if anyone can do it...

God knows - I think a lot of the dialogue will have to be changed radically. A speech in the middle of a sword fight works much better on the written page than it does on screen:p

Fortunately that doesn't seem to happen very much in ASOIAF. The closest thing to it that I can recall at the moment would be "You raped her, you murdered her, you killed her children.".

Peter Dinklage seems to me to be absolutely perfect for the role. He's a dwarf in the right age group and a good actor, but more importantly, his previous roles have often been characters with the same sardonic personality and intelligence that Tyrion has, and he's done incredibly well in them.

I agree! He was on the Daily Show once, and I took a picture of him on TV while his name was up on the screen (I know! Lame!) so that I would remember his name and what he looked like in case this subject ever came up. :rofl:

Well said Daj.

Hm...there were a lot of rumours going around about this in L.A.

There was though? I know amongst ourselves in the BwB but from other people too? Huh.

Good point about the Others LQ. They are humanoid in form IIRC and wear armour also, so the only element to spend time on is their faces. Dany's dragons are more of an issue but they aren't in the first book until the very end and they don't have a huge impact on the story in the second and third, so you can easily minimise their appearances until really necessary. (In other words, while they obviously need to appear but not in every Dany scene). And I do think that Ser Stubby is right that its easier to shoot than other fantasy novels. As mentioned, even the Wall is probably one of the easier CGI things.

And yes, I imagine they would amalgamate aDwD with aFfC. There is no way they would drop characters like Tyrion and Dany for a season if they have a choice. :P

If GRRM is actively involved in this before finishing writing all the books, won't it mean it'll take twice or four times as long to write the remaining novels?

The big question. ;) I do hope they don't do much until aDwD is finished because its bound to be a distraction. He is not the main driving force though, so he will have time to write. And, as somebody mentioned, it would put even more pressure on GRRM to finish the books. So I don't know. There will probably only be 2 more books after aDwD, so the end wouldn't be too far off anyhow.

Excellent!

I was hoping for something like this when GRRM wrote about the big announcement. Doesn't mean it will happen, not soon anyway, but still good news.

It will probably not live up to my expectations, but it will be fun to see westeros on tv.

well well well. until we get the confirmation from George, I'm not gonna pee myself (but I promise you all I will do so once I see that post in the News section or on Not A Blog). :D

Assuming it happens (and it IS only a possibility at the moment - they've only aquired the rights to do a series) - we really shouldn't be expecting to see the books on screen. Just ain't gonna happen. There's going to be a lot of condensing & cutting, alterations to make things work on screen that wouldn't work taken directly from the books, major events happening offscreen, battles reduced to interaction/fighting between small groups etc

That said, ASoIaF is in it's own way very.....telegenic (is that the right word?) already (GRRM was a scriptwriter, and it shows IMO). One of GRRM's real strenghts is in his ability to describe scenes, settings and appearances. The downside of this is it means we all have a fairly clear idea ourselves of what the characters and locations look like, the upside is it gives a real solid basis to get the FEEL of the books right. And I think that's what we should be hoping for - that the atmosphere of the books translates even if the events, characters, scenes and dialogue changes. I'm less hung up about seeing every single detail of the books recreated exactly on screen than I am about them staying tru to the spirit of the work.

Well said, Daj.

Good point about the Others LQ. They are humanoid in form IIRC and wear armour also, so the only element to spend time on is their faces.

I think the only thing that would have to be CG about them would be the glow for the swords (probably easy) and the predator style chameleon effect for the armor, which would probably have to be CG.

Not to pick on Skyrazer :), but I think discussion of what will happen with AFFC/ADWD is so premature as to be almost ridiculous... it's a good question but the time at which it's an issue is when seasons one and two are in the bag, IMO.

It's awfully tempting to get into that sort of level of detail but as others have said, let's hang onto our hats in the meantime.

Oddly my first reaction was kind of pessimistic, but as I get used to the idea I'm getting more excited... though to reiterate, like daj I think what we will see if this goes ahead is not so much 'the books on screen' as 'an interpretation of the books'.

And the article implies the series will be over in 2011. I wonder if it's GRRM who told this to HBO, which means that he won't be able to delay this for 5 years between ADWD and next one. Though I really doubt it'll be finished by 2011, but then the series won't end before 2016 or even later. That said, it would mean this won't end up with 10 more volumes, contrary to some people's fears - or hopes ;)

OMG!! :D:D

i go to sleep last night and when i come back this.. (damned time difference)

even the possibility is a wonderful thought for all of us but i d like to point out that i am very happy for George. We all know how wonderful an author he is and a great man but this must be a very gratifying experience for him, too. I hope this works out for him more than us

WOW!!!

This will be worth getting Cable for!

I will believe it when I see it on George's website, but until then I am reveling in the possibility!

We half jokingly ask where we can send out casting threads to, but the producers would be foolish not to look at threads like these. Not as a list of who to cast, but as an indication of what images the fans have of the chars.

Archived