Your darkest ASoIaF secrets

redcandle17

I wasn't surprised or sorry when Ned and Robb died.

Dany and Arya scare me.

I want Jaime and Brienne to have a super-romantic confession of wuv scene right before one of them dies.

I want Bran and the North to form an alliance with the Others and get them to join the eventual fight against Daenerys, her dragons, the followers of R'hllor, the Unsullied and the Ironborn. (Instead of the more popular theory that all of the humans will eventually have to band together to fight the Others.)

I want more Darkstar, but only if he cuts out his tortured goth posturing, figures out how not to botch the killing of little girls, and does not turn out to be Aegon.

I think Ilyn Payne is hot.

My darkest secret? I want almost the entire cast to die.

Jaime, Davos, and uh.. Thoros are about the only ones I want to see survive the series. There are some characters who I don't care whether they live or die (Arya, Jon, Bran, Doran) and those I actively hope die on every page (Brienne, Dany, Littlefinger, Sansa, Cersei, Sam, Stannis... this list is much longer). Generally speaking I have a hard time rooting for any of the characters.

Just out of curiosity, where does Tyrion fit in?

Hmm ... I guess hoping that Stannis will become one of the "three dragon heads" (aka - marry Dany) is pretty dark :). Never going to happen, but it seems right to me.

Also I didn't care at all about Bran and found his chapters the most boring on my first reading of the series. Once I started re-reading I changed my mind tho.

I think Tyrion is not rly as witty as he seems - he is actually a big fool and 2/3 of the characters outsmart him greatly.

I hope Littlefinger turns out to be in league with the Others ... wouldn't make any sense, but otherwise I cannot justify any of his doings (spare me the "he loves Cat and now Sansa" bullshit).

I think Tyrion is not rly as witty as he seems - he is actually a big fool and 2/3 of the characters outsmart him greatly.

Tyrion is only outsmarted in that he's left incapacitated for a considerable period of time after the Battle of the Blackwater, and that his father takes all his power when he assumes the position of Hand.

He's also more bound by honour than any Lannister ought to be.

Tyrion is only outsmarted in that he's left incapacitated for a considerable period of time after the Battle of the Blackwater, and that his father takes all his power when he assumes the position of Hand.

He's also more bound by honour than any Lannister ought to be.

Not only. He acts too much on impulse and he cares too much for the people he loves. He wasn't strong enough to send Shae away, he lied to Jaime just out of rage (that might not have been a mistake, but the lie served no purpose either).

And for the role he has chosen playing, honour is not the best tool he can use.

1. I was disappointed to see Ygritte, Robb Stark, Oberyn Martell and Tywin Lannister die. I thought they were potentially fascinating characters who

died before having been explored fully.

2. I think Walder Frey is the best dynasty builder in Westeros and one the best heads of Houses we have seen. I particularly like his sarcastic sense of humor, deflating much of the pompousness of the nobility we have seen. The Red Wedding only added to my appreciation of him. Horrific act but makes sense from his perspective and was relatively well planned.

3. While Petyr Baelish is intriguing, I tend to pay more attention to Varys. He is a more experienced player, has fed information to most of the key political players at one time or the other and tends to shape events in increasingly subtle ways. I think our actor has yet to reveal his true face and agenda. While convincing everyone else that he is on their side.

4. I thought Joffrey Baratheon was the poorest-handled character in the books. Where most characters have multiple layers and some depth, his range went from cowardly bully to incredibly short-sighted poltical player. His motivation summed up to "he is nuts".

5. I think the Tyrells are even more ruthless and ambitious than the Lannisters. Their good reputation is more based on their relatively clean-cut surface appearance and extensive use of their propaganda machine.

6. I find Arya and Tyrion to present the most sympathetic view points and to often have the best dialogue in their chapters. Sansa chapters

generally have a great supporting cast but our narrator tended to give as little insight on them. Something which has changed for the better in "Feast of Crows"

with a a more aware Sansa and keener observations.

Dainerys and Davos chapters present us with two basically honest characters aught up in situations too complex for them to comprehend. They generally offer a good read but I can't keep wondering if seing events through the eyes of Stannis, Melisandre, Jorah or even Drogo we would get a wider picture of what is going on and why. Brienne and Asha are growing on me though we have yet to see much change on their outlook. Jaime and Cersei tend to offer black comedy at its finestbut I think

they lead the Lannister to self-destruction.

Catelyn is a rare animal. A rather intelligent character with often rare insight into people and situations. But equally often blinded by her own prejudices and the cultural concepts of "proper" behavior taught to her by Hoster Tully. The chapters are well-written but some of her ideas and actions are hard to stomacj.

Jon and Sam chapters have been hit or miss for me. The looks at the inner politics of the Night's Watch and the distinct culture of the Wildlings were great. Their gradual uncovering of the history of the far North and the mystery of Others also makes for good reading. On the other hand the constant guilt and self-doubt of Jon

and the freezing fear and self-humiliation of Sam make for very repetitive reading. We get it already, Catelyn Tully and Randyll Tarly really did a number on them. Now can we move on?

Theon and the rest of the Greyjoys were decent. Too bad they are so single-minded. Bran chapters in general put me to sleep. His mental abilities

make for decent reading. But we are then stuck with a very limited supporting cast and ho-hum dialogues.

My darkest secret? I think I actually like UnCat...

I want to see Brienne and Jaime in some sort of romantic/sexual setting, I think it's going to be sweet.. and hilarious.

I'm beginning not to hate Sansa so much. I want her to get back together with Tyrion and actually see the person behind the dwarf.

I hate Dany with all my heart.

Wow...I'm kind of surprised by some of people's responses here... I guess the title suits the content. :P

Anyways...errrrr...my deep dark secrets hmmm...

I really like Sam as a character. Most of the guys we read about are badass in one way or another. Jeor, Jorah, Barristan, Jaime, Cersei, Gregor, Tywin, Jon, Ned, Catelyn, Robb, Brienne, the list goes on and on. Even characters like Aemon havea sort of mental badassery going for them. Sam is kind of the underdog. I think he's a terrific change of pace, and I think that he's pretty well characterized. I love how he sort of blundered his way through all the tough situations so far, and I'm interested to see where he'll go/what he'll do next.

I find Arya kind of boring on one hand, and kind of disturbing on the other. She's boring because there really isn't much going on up there... *points to head* She tends to act before thinking, and I don't know really know how to say it, but I liked the original Arya a lot more than I like her now. She kinda creeps me out now.

I would actually really like Sansa to finally meet/have a romance with a "true knight." I tend to sympathize much more with her because she seems a lot more innocent than her ironically little, sister. She had all these noble and lofty images of the world which were all shattered...I just kinda wish something would work out for her.

I thought, barring a few little things that I would've done differently, that Ned's plan was relatively solid. The only thing that really bothered me was that he entrusted Littlefinger with figuring out about paying the goldcloaks off, but I brushed that off, saying that's his job.

I really like Catelyn. I thought she was a great character. Flawed, true, but still a very interesting and unique one. I felt very bad for her when she died, and I still sympathize (although I don't necessarily agree) with UnCat.

I like Theon. I don't really know why. I don't really forgive him for certain things, but I hope he lives and plays a role in the events to come.

I despise Victarion and Euron, though I do respect the latter.

I was genuinely upset when Tyrion told Jaime that he'd murdered Joffrey. I was sort of hoping the two Lannister brothers would, ya know, team up. Crazy, I know, with their whole, being brothers and all.

I think the most boring and flat character in the entire series was Khal Drhogo. I hated him.

I don't really forgive Dany for standing by and letting her brother be crowned. Sure Viserys was cruel and twisted. But he wasn't born that way, and he wasn't bound to be that way forever either.

I genuinely sympathize/d with both Cersei and Viserys, though I do not condone what they did. I think they are two of the most tragic characters in the entire series.

I kind of like little Rob Arryn. I hope he lives.

I think it would be rather fun if GRRM gets bored and never finishes the series. Of course it would mean that the idiots that believe <insert crackpot theory of your choice here>, or that refuse to accept <insert favourite theory of your choice here> will never definitively be proved wrong; but I am big enough not the be bothered by that. :P

I like Jon and Dany, even though they're a bit too über, they still go through hell. I'm going to defy all y'all and root for them, ha!

Arya is my favorite pov though. It's just fun to see someone so young and helpless fight back.

I guess I don't have any dark secrets per se. I hated the Gregor character (which is a normal reaction I guess) and am loving what's happening to Cersei.

My only slight moral quandry is that in spite of myself, I am starting to empathize with Jaime. George... I salute you. You have managed to completely turn my views around on a number of characters!

I love it when main characters die. I was disappointed that Arya did not actually die at the Red Wedding. That's already the second cliffhanger-chapter-ending where Arya survives (the first one is her last AGOT-chapter where she believes that Yoren attacks her with a knife), but in his cruelty, GRRM first gives us hope for another major death, only to shatter it a few chapters later.

Archived