The Most Skilled Warrior

Ranvier: The Iron Tide

This is a highly debatable subject, of which I have seen few topics about. I've seen topics of bad assness and such, however, I have not seen one about who is the most skilled.

This is a very difficult decision to make, there are so many debatable choices. Sirrio(sp?) defeated a few knights with a wooden stick, but presumably was killed by the KG. The Mountain is always formidable, along with Oberryn and the Hound. Robert Baratheon in his prime was impressive to say the least, but could he stand against Strong Belwas or Drogo?

Well, my vote goes to Bronn. Why Bronn? This is easy, he didn't learn how to fight in any school, he was never a squire, and it's doubtful that he ever had any formal training. He easily dispatched with Lysa's chosen champion, who presumably was one of the most formidable knights in the eyrie (defeating a fully plated knight, while being armorless is no easy feat). He would of championed Tyrion if it came down to that (against the Mountain).

Bronn is oozing with confidence that can only come with experience. He wears no armor, he is quick and agile, yet still powerful. All of these things combined make him one of the most skilled warriors throughout the world. I think in the sixth book we will see his POV, and I'm avidly hoping for it.

What do you think? Who is the best warrior?

I have to put my fangirl love for Jaime and Sandor aside, and admit that Barristan seems to be the most skilled warrior. He entered his first tournament when he was ten(!) and even in his sixties, he beats the Titan's Bastard like it was child's play. He was just born to be a warrior. Again, even the fact that he's alive to be an old man speaks to his skill as a warrior.

There are different types of fighters...as the topic says, warrior, I would have to go with Drogo because of the brutalilty and fear that he instills in his opponents. Would you want to fight the Khal of a massive army, and a Khal that has never had his hair cut? His bells ringing shall make you tremble in your boots.

Bronn did turn tail. He told Tyrion basically that he is a knight now with his own household, there is no need for him to fight.

Again, even the fact that he's alive to be an old man speaks to his skill as a warrior.

Or his skill to be trusted by three different masters in a very short period. (Targ, Baratheon, Dany)

It actually DID come down to Bronn championing Tyrion against the Mountain and Bronn turned tail. Bronn also beat an elderly Vardis Egan through trickery.

This all kind of sums it up. Bronn is an exceptionally popular character, because he is funny and friends with Tyrion. However, his biggest accomplishment as a warrior was defeating a decidely unimpressive Vardis Egan. While I certainly think he's a capable fighter, and did his job in the Battle of the Blackwater, I wouldn't rank Bronn in the top 10.

1. Barristan the Bold

2. Two-handed Jaime

3. Sandor Clegane

4. Oberyn Martell

5. Gregor Clegane

6. Loras Tyrell

7. Andrik the Unsmiling

8. Victarion Greyjoy

9. Garlan Tyrell

10. The Blackfish

Off the top of my head.

Are we talking about characters we have seen in the books? Or can we mention historical Westerosi figures? It seems that people only remember the Lords and the Sers, so who knows how many great fighters have been forgotten with time. But at any rate, I have got to say Ser Jaime Lannister pre-Whispering Woods seems to be nigh impossible to beat. I would love to be able to say Sandor though......

Now the question is, who would win in a fight between a younger Barristan and a two-handed Jaime, all things being equal?

EDIT: After reading serdog's reply, I have to say Arthur Dayne is up there too. So my list is Arthur Dayne, Jaime, and Barristan, although I can't really say in what orer.

Garlan should be above Loras...Loras admits Garlan's superiority with a sword...we also don't know if Euron outranks Victarion as a warrior. And Sandor's placing there is good.

I think we're missing the 'Any Given Sunday' rule, though.

I chalk Loras' comment up to a little bit of humility in regards to his big brother. Frankly, he's accomplished a lot more so far than Garlan, who've only seen in the training yard. I admit I've got a long-held dislike for Garlan, so I tend to rank him lowly.

"Any Given Sunday" is certainly true. Sandor at his best could beat anyone on the list, Sandor at his drunken, fire fearing worst could be killed by any of them.

As for Euron, I think of him more as a crafty and dangerous leader whereas Victarion is just a pure, bloodythirsty warrior.

Andrik's place on my list is really only based on reputation, since we have no true examples of his prowess. But all the Ironmen seem to think of him as their greatest warrior -- since they are a warrior people, that's got to count for something.

Now the question is, who would win in a fight between a younger Barristan and a two-handed Jaime, all things being equal?

Barristan.

We should probably limit it to living people, honestly...otherwise we'll be getting into Daemon Blackfyre vs. Aegon Targaryen...

Agreed. I was trying to stick to the "present" (barring Jaime's hand issue).

True, but the Crow's Eye is a daring pirate and likely can handle himself with a blade, given his family, background and all the pics we see of him are him wielding a weapon...plus, he's likely avery crafty fighter. Granted Victarion thinks he CAN kill Euron, but Victarion's sort of a biased source.

Yes, Victarion would probaby on a top 5 or at least top 10 list too...And as was stated things would depend a lot on circumstances, but I think for the purposes of this topic we can assume all things are equal and the fighters are at their best. To be honest, the more I think of it the more I am positive that Ser Arthur Dayne with Dawn could beat ANYONE!

Well, I have another interesting question:

Strong Belwas or The Mountain?

I still believe Bronn is the easily in the top 10. He appears to be as witty/crafty as Tyrion, yet as skilled with a sword/shield as maybe even Jaime. We saw him fight once, and he never got hit (granted, one hit would mean certain death). It will be interesting to see him fight in the coming books.

True, but the Crow's Eye is a daring pirate and likely can handle himself with a blade, given his family, background and all the pics we see of him are him wielding a weapon...plus, he's likely avery crafty fighter. Granted Victarion thinks he CAN kill Euron, but Victarion's sort of a biased source.

Pirates don't attack war gallleys, they attack trading ships so I don't think being a pirate necessarily correlates to being a good warrior. Euron strikes me as very charismatic and a great leader, but we haven't seen him fight or heard of him engaged in any great fights. Victarion does seem to a very good fighter from what we've seen, though he relies on brutal strength and a macho willingness to accept minor wounds rather than skill.

To wander off topic, does how submissive Victarion is seem weird to anyone else?

Since this is the "most skilled" question, I'll bow to your logic and add Euron to my list. In my revision I'm also going with true present condition, which knocks one-handed Jaime out of the top 100...

1. Barristan the Bold

2. Oberyn Martell

3. Sandor Clegane

4. Loras Tyrell }Bracketed

4. Garlan Tyrell

6. The Blackfish

8. Euron Greyjoy

9. Gregor Clegane

10. Andrik the Unsmiling

I've also altered the standings thinking more about the "Most Skilled" question. So much of Gregor's ability is based on his raw size and strength I've knocked him down a bit (though obviously he has some skill or he'd be another Hodor).

I've removed my bias filter on Garlan and ranked him and Loras equally. Oberyn Martell I have so high because he is so proficient in many weapons -- he fought the Mountain with a spear, even though he personally preferred the sword; he jousted well in tourneys and tought Alleras the bow. That's skill.

Blackfish is another I think has a ton of skills instead of relying on athleticism alone.

Archived