The Most Skilled Warrior

Ranvier: The Iron Tide

Ok, I haven't read all 20 pages (the first and this last one only) and I'm relatively new to ASoIaF (only read it one and a half times...both within the last 6 months) so I'm going to give this a shot.

Gregor is an obvious choice...but since the thread title is "Most SKILLED" I'm going to cut him out. He's big, strong, and covered in armor, but nowhere is it written that he's particularly "skilled" as a warrior...it's kind of like saying Andre the Giant was the best wrestler because he was hard to body-slam. Plus, he died at the hands of a little man in light armor, no shield, and a single spear...what a toughie :P

Syrio Forel is another one I thought of including and then thought better of. He's obviously an incredibly skilled swordsman...however, there's a big difference between a fencer and a warrior; and from what I saw, he lacked that certain something that would transition well to the battlefield.

My top 3 would be (in no particular order):

Victarion - First, I have a major fascination with Vikings and Norse Mythology, therefore I have a natural attraction to the iron born. That said, despite the arguments that I've read about his reliance on armor, I distinctly remember being impressed with both his weapon technique (carefully calculated strikes and parries, never just hacking for hacking's sake) and his battle demeanor (thinking in terms of strategy the whole way through) I look forward to seeing more of him and his skill; which has to be ample if he has any aspirations to be Dany's husband.

Selmy - He was winning tourneys well into middle-age against younger and stronger foes, his mind for strategy, and the proof given after he joined Dany that he can improvise weapons, use his environment, and still have very quick reactions makes him more than a force to be reckoned with...especially when he's dressed down and is underestimated.

Oberyn - The little man in light armor, no shield, and a single spear that took down the Mountain. That fight was more than enough proof for me that he was probably the most gifted out of the whole crop of warriors south of the neck. His footwork, and obvious weapon expertise are the keys here despite his overgrown desire for vengeance and ego (only light armor against a single opponent who is 3 times your size in full plate? come on) being his only real weaknesses.

Except Barristan and Rhaegar.

I would really like you to find some evidence of this idea because I have read the books multiple times and I cannot think of one time the Kingslayer thought anyone was actually better than him.

saying "Knight A lost in the joust to Knight B" is simply not justifiable grounds to say "Knight A didn't have much prowess".
Saying "Crown prince won against Knight B" is as much indicative of him being a prince than him being skilled, in turn. The only fact we have is that the first time Rhaegar went into a real melee against an opponent determined to win, he lost.

First I wanna say that in a storm of swords Jaime says Arthur Dayne could whip all 5 of the kingsgaurd on page 758.. with is left hand while pissing with his right. this includes the knight of flowers and is just unprooved evidence of anything....YET NED somehow slays aurthur dayne. I dont want to sing the praises of everyones hero Ned Stark...just because he is NED. But Howland reed was with Ned and i supose....but there was the whitebull gerald hightower and whentas well of the kingsgaurd...well perhaps NED isnt the BEST fighter...but make no mistakes....He must have been a fair hand.

Guest Other-in-law
I would really like you to find some evidence of this idea because I have read the books multiple times and I cannot think of one time the Kingslayer thought anyone was actually better than him.

I don't recall Jaime thinking of Barristan or Rhaegar as his superior, but he thinks of the Sword of the Morning that way on a few ocassions, such as at Darry:

Does she think I can feel that? "The Sword of the Morning slew the Smiling Knight, my lady. Ser Arthur Dayne, a better knight than me."

First I wanna say that in a storm of swords Jaime says Arthur Dayne could whip all 5 of the kingsgaurd on page 758.. with is left hand while pissing with his right. this includes the knight of flowers and is just unprooved evidence of anything....YET NED somehow slays aurthur dayne. I dont want to sing the praises of everyones hero Ned Stark...just because he is NED. But Howland reed was with Ned and i supose....but there was the whitebull gerald hightower and whentas well of the kingsgaurd...well perhaps NED isnt the BEST fighter...but make no mistakes....He must have been a fair hand.

I think that was where I got the idea that Jaime knew Arthur Dayne could wreck the floor with him. Jaime says before his maiming how he was the greatest knight ALIVE.

And Ned says he owes his life to Howland Reed. Without him, he would not have survived the battle under the Tower.

Archived