Casting the Movie Continued Continued Continued

Ser Bruce the Hound KG

Here's a proposition for Brienne: Warning: last pic not work-safe! ;)

Lauren Jackson . She's a professional basket ball player, 6'5", 23 years old. She starred in a couple of movies, but I've seen none of them so unfortunately I can't tell about her acting skills. Anyone heard about her?

She's got the height, but I dunno about the unfortunate face. She's also quite slim. Hmm.

Works for me... although our current Brienne has 'acting' experience as well, Jackson's appears more substantial... plus, she's closer in height and age to what Brienne should be.

Lyanna - We're never going to find a big 'ugly' actress... makeup will have to do. Makeup made Bernard Hill (Theoden) look old, haggard, and sick... it can make a young woman look like an ugly young woman. As to the bulk, she's a pro athlete... she'll do fine. I doubt she'll bulk up much, but remember, size is deceptive. That photo shows someone who looks fairly proportional... and well-proportioned shoulders on someone 6'5" would be approaching the size of a pro-bodybuilder's shoulders who's 5'5". Compared to whoever is cast as Catelyn or Loras, Jackson's shoulders will appear huge. Bulk 'em up a bit with broad armors, with shoulder spaulders that emphasize breadth, and she'll be plenty broad... no worries there. My only concern is acting talent, and she appears to have more than our other current options.

ETA: Might I add that people seem a lot more willing to consider alternatives these days... is nothing sacred? :D

Tysha - Philip is a total badass and I have a massive crush on Gene from Life on Mars. Have you seen the awesome trailer? I would sell my soul for a plasticine Gene!

Not sure about Julian Sands. The only thing I have seen him in is a A Room with a View, which wasn't very Tarly...

Lyanna - I'm not sure that I can see Victor being that nasty. Randyll is one of the most horrible men in Westeros. Even Tywin never threatened to kill one of his kids for being crap. And according to Brienne his lips move when he reads, so he is both mean and illiterate!

I like Lauren Jackson for Brienne.

And what about Antonius Pius suggestion of Charles Dance for Tywin, I thought that was really good. He can be very scary and he's 6'3". pic

Lyanna - I'm not sure that I can see Victor being that nasty. Randyll is one of the most horrible men in Westeros. Even Tywin never threatened to kill one of his kids for being crap. And according to Brienne his lips move when he reads, so he is both mean and illiterate!

I like Lauren Jackson for Brienne.

I can certainly see him being seriously badass, but I'm not sure he's right for Tarly, you're right about that. I don't see him as Tywin either though.

Everyone seems agreed on Jackson so I'll change that now.

Well, so long as we're in the mood to be contemplating alternatives...

Bryan Cranston as Rickard Stark. Brief cameo flashback sequence... Looks like Davenport's dad. And I'd rather save Liam Neeson for a more meaty role.

Ron Livingston as Benjen Stark. I'm sorry... every time I see Ingelby as Benjen, I shudder... there's something about the way he looks that comes off as goofy to me, and I can't imagine him as Benjen. I don't doubt his acting... just his appearance.

Jodie Foster as Catelyn Tully. She's a great actress, capable of making Catelyn truly sympathetic as a character.

Alfred Molina as Rickard Karstark. He's got the size (6'2") and the presence... can do dark, yet sympathetic. I think he'd work.

David Carradine as Balon Greyjoy. He's a spot on match for the Amoka drawing. He's a capable actor, and can do justice to Balon's few, yet harsh, words. And while John Noble (the current casting) can work for Balon, his role in LotR was basically the same... and I'd like to have Balon thought of as 'not another LotR cast-off'.

Seth Green as Theon Greyjoy. Theon's not evil. It doesn't do justice to GRRM's work to write Theon off as a one-dimensional character. We've got to pity Theon, for trying to reconcile Eddard's upbringing with Balon's expectations, and failing miserably. Moreover, Theon is shorter than the average knight, and does seem to have a bit of a complex about it... and Seth Green is capable of being smarmy, self-important, and sad...

Heath Ledger as Jaime Lannister. Not the prettiest boy out there, but he'll still turn heads. More importantly, Jaime's an important enough figure in the story that I'd cast the entirety of the Lannister clan around him, if need be. We need an actor that can *really* pull all of this off, and Ledger is good enough to be the anchor here.

Kelly Carlson as Cersei Lannister. The character here is pretty one-dimensional... and doesn't really need that talented an actress. I don't think it's so important who we cast here, so I'm flexible. That said, I'd choose Kelly, as she seems to have that almost-trashy type of beauty that I imagine Cersei having... objectively perfect, but with no substance at all... something men would worship, but back away quickly, once they realized what she really was. From Nip/Tuck, I think Carlson can do it.

Alan Rickman as Lord Tywin Lannister. Yeah... I agree with this one.

David Spade as Petyr Baelish. He's the right age, height, and build for the Littlefinger... and more importantly, he's got the sardonic wit that's necessary for his banter and needling.

Rowan Atkinson as Vargo Hoat. There's something about the way he looks, that, if dressed and lit properly, could come off as hideously evil. He's also good enough to pull off the lisp well. That people expect him to be light and funny would only exaggerate his darkness by casting him against type.

Gene Wilder as Lord Walder Frey. Despite the dark subject matter that invariably comes up, Walder Frey's needs a comedian's touch. He needs someone who can deliver verbal jabs, barbs, and the infamous 'heh heh'. I give you Gene Wilder. Looks the part, and can act the part. His turn as Willy Wonka offers up the crazed seriousness that would make Frey frightening.

Ian McDiarmid as Ser Stevron Frey. The eldest son of Lord Frey, and the heir apparent in AGoT and ACoK, Stevron is elderly yet capable, honorable yet cautious. And he's got more screentime than Lord Frey for the first two books. McDiarmid would be *great* here.

D.W. Moffett as Lord Randyll Tarly. He's big, he's lean, and he's made his name playing villains, serial killers, and the like. He's a perfect Randyll Tarly.

Richard Lewis as Dolorous Edd Tollett. An aging dour, self-flagellating comedian, to play an aging, dour, self-flagellating squire. What could be better?

Hayden Panettiere as Daenerys Targaryen. A capable actress, looks the right age, and has the right look.

Christopher Walken as Craster. The Others are supposed to be graceful and quick... with skin tones and armor that is other-worldly... It's going to have to be done with skilled stage-fighters posted with CG. Craster, on the other hand, is dark, twisted, and doesn't get much human contact other than his wives... so his speech patterns can afford to be a bit off. Walken would be wonderful.

Angus Macfadyen as Davos Seaworth. He's a great actor, wonderful at playing men of nobility, though his looks are more common... a good match for Davos, who's of common birth, but behaves as a noble should.

Lauren Jackson as Brienne of Tarth. She's 6'5", has acting experience, an athletic physique (Olympic and pro basketball player), and is apparently very comfortable with nudity (judging by her pics on Google)... so the tub scene with Jaime is in.

Also, further support here for:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister

Peter O'Toole as Master Aemon

There are others, but these are the ones that come to mind... :)

David Wenham as Edmure Tully. Nice sweet guy, right coloring...

Cliff Robertson as Lord Hoster Tully. A better fit, facially, for the family, and better-sized for someone suffering from abdominal cancers (not quite as heavy as Dennehy).

Holy crap that's a detailed list! :D I'm certainly open to the suggestions, always looking for the best list possible. :)

I don't know about detailed... long, certainly. Anyway, there wasn't much interest in recasting spots earlier, so I'd been saving up. :)

There are more... I just can't remember them all. I'll add them as they come to mind.

... Oh, and I still like Bill Murray as Lord Rodrik 'The Reader' Harlaw. Older, sympathetic, and, if you saw him in 'Lost in Translation', you know that he can show the Reader's sadness at watching history sweeping the Ironborn into disaster, but being powerless to pull his favorite niece out of the vortex...

I'm a bit late now, but I also like Lauren Jackson as Brienne. The body is perfect and she's actually the right age! Yay! Nice one, Yrael. :thumbsup:

This is Julian Sands' IMDb page. He is a lot more than the guy from Room With a View.

Bryan Cranston as Rickard Stark. Brief cameo flashback sequence... Looks like Davenport's dad. And I'd rather save Liam Neeson for a more meaty role.

Ron Livingston as Benjen Stark. I'm sorry... every time I see Ingelby as Benjen, I shudder... there's something about the way he looks that comes off as goofy to me, and I can't imagine him as Benjen. I don't doubt his acting... just his appearance.

Jodie Foster as Catelyn Tully. She's a great actress, capable of making Catelyn truly sympathetic as a character.

My opinion on these hasn't changed since last time! :P

I have no problem giving Neeson more to do than get burned alive but Cranston doesn't actually look anything like Jack Davenport (or Alex O'Loughlin or Lee Ingleby) and Ron Livingston looks even less like them. Livingston also looks more like the older brother of Davenport when Ben is supposed to be the baby of the family.

Jodie Foster really doesn't fit with the rest of that generation, she's far too old. And while a wonderful actress, I personally think Kate Winslet is better and also more beautiful.

Alfred Molina as Rickard Karstark. He's got the size (6'2") and the presence... can do dark, yet sympathetic. I think he'd work.

He is a great actor but I think Robert Lindsay would make a better Karstark. He looks tougher, more like someone who could still hold his own on a battlefield.

David Carradine as Balon Greyjoy. He's a spot on match for the Amoka drawing. He's a capable actor, and can do justice to Balon's few, yet harsh, words. And while John Noble (the current casting) can work for Balon, his role in LotR was basically the same... and I'd like to have Balon thought of as 'not another LotR cast-off'.

I'm fine with re-casting Balon if you want someone who's not from LotR, but Carradine looks like he belongs in the wild west, not the Iron Islands!

Seth Green as Theon Greyjoy. Theon's not evil. It doesn't do justice to GRRM's work to write Theon off as a one-dimensional character. We've got to pity Theon, for trying to reconcile Eddard's upbringing with Balon's expectations, and failing miserably. Moreover, Theon is shorter than the average knight, and does seem to have a bit of a complex about it... and Seth Green is capable of being smarmy, self-important, and sad...

Heath Ledger as Jaime Lannister. Not the prettiest boy out there, but he'll still turn heads. More importantly, Jaime's an important enough figure in the story that I'd cast the entirety of the Lannister clan around him, if need be. We need an actor that can *really* pull all of this off, and Ledger is good enough to be the anchor here.

Kelly Carlson as Cersei Lannister. The character here is pretty one-dimensional... and doesn't really need that talented an actress. I don't think it's so important who we cast here, so I'm flexible. That said, I'd choose Kelly, as she seems to have that almost-trashy type of beauty that I imagine Cersei having... objectively perfect, but with no substance at all... something men would worship, but back away quickly, once they realized what she really was. From Nip/Tuck, I think Carlson can do it.

Again, my opinion on these hasn't changed since last time you posted them!

And Cersei is not one-dimensional! She could run the risk of becoming so in the hands of a crap actress, so if anything she needs to be played by someone especially talented who can actually make her human.

Alan Rickman as Lord Tywin Lannister. Yeah... I agree with this one.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! :D

David Spade as Petyr Baelish. He's the right age, height, and build for the Littlefinger... and more importantly, he's got the sardonic wit that's necessary for his banter and needling.

He's about ten years older than Ned and Cat! So, not the right age. Also, I think he's a little too snarky to be Petyr - he doesn't really come across as all that scheming or even that intelligent.

Rowan Atkinson as Vargo Hoat. There's something about the way he looks, that, if dressed and lit properly, could come off as hideously evil. He's also good enough to pull off the lisp well. That people expect him to be light and funny would only exaggerate his darkness by casting him against type.

Casting against type is one thing but it wouldn't work in this case. Rowan is a wonderful comedian but he just wouldn't be scary as Hoat. The character would instantly become funny in his hands.

Have I ever suggested David Threlfall for Hoat? Because I think he'd be fantastic.

Gene Wilder as Lord Walder Frey. Despite the dark subject matter that invariably comes up, Walder Frey's needs a comedian's touch. He needs someone who can deliver verbal jabs, barbs, and the infamous 'heh heh'. I give you Gene Wilder. Looks the part, and can act the part. His turn as Willy Wonka offers up the crazed seriousness that would make Frey frightening.

Ian McDiarmid as Ser Stevron Frey. The eldest son of Lord Frey, and the heir apparent in AGoT and ACoK, Stevron is elderly yet capable, honorable yet cautious. And he's got more screentime than Lord Frey for the first two books. McDiarmid would be *great* here.

I still like whoever's it was suggestion of Leslie Philips as Walder Frey, in which case I'd support moving Ian McDiarmid to Stevron. But I prefer McDiarmid as Walder to Gene Wilder as Walder!

D.W. Moffett as Lord Randyll Tarly. He's big, he's lean, and he's made his name playing villains, serial killers, and the like. He's a perfect Randyll Tarly.

I dunno, there's just something ... not Randyll about him. I can't quite put my finger on it. Sorry. He looks too slick, Randyll should be scruffier.

Richard Lewis as Dolorous Edd Tollett. An aging dour, self-flagellating comedian, to play an aging, dour, self-flagellating squire. What could be better?

Nothing really wrong with this suggestion, I just prefer Rob Brydon! Sorry. Though I also think Stephen Mangan would absolutely rock here.

Hayden Panettiere as Daenerys Targaryen. A capable actress, looks the right age, and has the right look.

She's too cutesy, too All-American cheerleader. Amber Heard has a classic, ethereal beauty to her and she's a great actress.

Christopher Walken as Craster. The Others are supposed to be graceful and quick... with skin tones and armor that is other-worldly... It's going to have to be done with skilled stage-fighters posted with CG. Craster, on the other hand, is dark, twisted, and doesn't get much human contact other than his wives... so his speech patterns can afford to be a bit off. Walken would be wonderful.

What is wrong with Eric Sykes as Craster?! Walken's wrong physically anyway - he's too young (he's in his early 60s, Craster's much older) and he's too skinny.

Angus Macfadyen as Davos Seaworth. He's a great actor, wonderful at playing men of nobility, though his looks are more common... a good match for Davos, who's of common birth, but behaves as a noble should.

I like it! Hooray! :D

David Wenham as Edmure Tully. Nice sweet guy, right coloring...

Cliff Robertson as Lord Hoster Tully. A better fit, facially, for the family, and better-sized for someone suffering from abdominal cancers (not quite as heavy as Dennehy).

Wenham is ten years older than Kate Winslet, so definitely too old to be her baby brother. I like Cliff Roberston as Hoster though.

ETA: Bill Murray doesn't belong in Westeros! He would stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.

I know, Tysha... I know. :)

How about this:Alan Cumming for Shagwell? That'd be disturbing, no?

Another option:

Nolan Funk as Loras Tyrell. He's about the right age, has some decent experience, and is both a gymnast and a horseback rider... would be useful for Loras, no?

Barry Pepper as Garlan Tyrell...

And Cersei is not one-dimensional! She could run the risk of becoming so in the hands of a crap actress, so if anything she needs to be played by someone especially talented who can actually make her human.

Very true. Actually one of the first reasons I thought of Tricia originally is her ability to play a character who is seemingly all evil but interlace humanity in it as well. She's able to draw sympathy from a character who on paper looks like they should have none. I've always thought Cersei onscreen would draw much more feeling than what she does on paper.

As for alternates, I was surprised too, everyone seems to want to recast everything recently. :(

Yeah I'll second that..we seem to be going back too often. Lyanna I think you need to lock down some characters :P

Majority has agreed..drop the gavel ;)

He's too short for Theon.

He doesn't look like the Cersei we have (Helfer) nor does he look like the one you propose (Carlson).

First things first, I disagree with what you said about the character being one-dimensional (but that's for another topic). ;)

I like Helfer better than Carlson. Carlson has a weird smile. :uhoh:

LYANNA:

IIRC, we had pretty much agreed that Vivica Fox was too old for Chataya.

We settled on Garcelle

Beauvais :)

The other candidates were Kerry Washington and Phina Oruche (is it me or does her skin look funny in that last pic?)

Didn't we talk about this already? If we need someone else, pick someone who won't make the audience burst out laughing when he dies

Maybe we just need another pick. Ingelby was a pretty large consensus

she's also too old and looks nothing like Catelyn. Plus she has a distinctive southern drawl

Nothing alike the character physically

he's a subpar actor, looks very little like the portrait and he's a wash up. Not what we want for Balon. Noble has done the harsh father before

Seth green's best role was a laid back werewolf, and that's him at best. Seth Green is nothing like theon physically, he's not even in the age range and he's not as good as anyone else we have. This is a very, very poor choice

Jensen Ackles has all he has and then some. An inferior choice to the current selection

And this one's been shot down before, so I'll let it speak for itself.

The talentless slut of Nip/Tuck vs. Number Six....hmmm

Rowan Atkinson as Vargo Hoat. There's something about the way he looks, that, if dressed and lit properly, could come off as hideously evil. He's also good enough to pull off the lisp well. That people expect him to be light and funny would only exaggerate...oh, Rowan's pushing fifty and looks nothing like Vargo

And Ian McDiarmid is absolutely fine in the role. Ian can laugh like noone's business, he's a better trained actor, and he won't remind the auience of a Mel Brooks movie. he's not as distinctive.

Inferior choice.

He's great where he is, actually.

Just substiture 'Robert Carlyle' in there and it's the same guy...only...better

Meh, I like Amber tons more

You mean as a role that he doesn't resemble whatsoever, in any stretch of the imagination?

I know, Tysha... I know. :)

How about this:Alan Cumming for Shagwell? That'd be disturbing, no?

... I actually can't tell if you're joking or not! ;)

Another option:

Nolan Funk as Loras Tyrell. He's about the right age, has some decent experience, and is both a gymnast and a horseback rider... would be useful for Loras, no?

He's also nowhere near as pretty as Julian Morris. And the only role I've seen him in was in Smallville where he was crap.

Barry Pepper as Garlan Tyrell...

This is not the face of Garlan the Gallant! What is wrong with Hugh Dancy in this role?!

And yes - Garcelle Beavais as Chataya and Ryan Gosling as Hyle Hunt.

We settled on Garcelle Beauvais

Yes we did! The other suggestions got no votes between them.

Also from the old thread,

we settled on Olivia Thirlby for Lyanna. link

And Martin Freeman for the Tickler. link

If anyone has any new objections or better suggestions than those, speak up now. If not then Lyanna can put them in and we can move on to new picks, because they were ages ago.

New picks,

Does everyone like Ryan for Hyle then? I see he has 4 votes and no objections. Yes?

And did we agree on a new Asha?

New arguments,

I think we should keep Oldman as Davos, he is a better actor imo.

I still like Robert Knepper as the Goat. pic

I'm sure that Julian Sands has done lots of things but I haven't seen them, so I don't really have much of an opinion on him. Anyway I don't think anyone could play the role of Randyll Tarly better than Carlyle. Tarly isn't just a badass, he is a very angry man, and I have never seen anyone do rage better than Robert. Trainspotting, Hitler, that thing where he shot the puppy...all very scary!

Archived