Casting the Movie Continued Continued Continued

Ser Bruce the Hound KG

I don't have any ideas about parts for him but what do you guys think about James Callis for something? I thought he look vaguely Starkish but it's mostly because of the hair for some reason. :P

James Callis is brilliant! He can do whatever you want.

On BSG he's an egotistical genius who is completely spineless and unable to admit fault..any role that requires someone a bit squirrelly or offbeat..he's your man. He does it so well.

But as for a 'suitable replacement' I think Zegers as Gendry is one of the worst bits of casting on the site. His supporters always point towards his 'huge muscles' which he doesn't really have! I actually think his body would be fine for Gendry because Gendry is described as being big for his age, which is 14/15. He is not a Mr Universe contender. However, Zegers is also a short pretty boy and I don't think he would pull off the angry young man thing without making Gendry whiny and annoying. He is so wrong for the part!

Gendry is a 15 year old scowling boy..that pretty much equals sulky and whiny. No one has ever taken a young angry boy seriously..they all come off whiny!

Besides the fact that you're assuming this is how Zegers would chose to play the role..or that is how Zegers would come off. These are not things we can possibly know.

He's perfectly fine in the role.

After all this back and forth it appears the only thing that has been decided in a new Asha..So fine let's change Asha and move on instead of rehashing all this old stuff again.

I don't really have a picture to refer to, but if you've seen Jeanne D'Arc by Luc Besson, you'll probably remember a big fat guy who swears a lot... Richard Ridings is the actor's name, anyway, and I think he'd do well as Tormund Giantsbane. IIRC, he's not that tall, but looks really broad (at least in armor.) Just a suggestion. And I'd bet he's more affordable than Brian Cox, who I seem to remember is the current candidate.

Hi Lyanna - Are you going to change Renly to Matthew Goode, only Lightsnake wanted to keep Tom the last time his name was brought up. :P

Also no one has objected to Martin Freeman as the Tickler.

And Garcelle Beauvais as Chataya.

And Olivia Thirlby as Lyanna.

Theres probably more but I can't remember. :)

Gendry is a 15 year old scowling boy..that pretty much equals sulky and whiny. No one has ever taken a young angry boy seriously..they all come off whiny!

No they do not!

Gendry is not whiny. He is a gruff, tough kid who gets angry and hits stuff but who is also very practical and actually nice under all the scowling. He’s not self-indulgent enough to whine.

Besides the fact that you're assuming this is how Zegers would chose to play the role..or that is how Zegers would come off. These are not things we can possibly know.

This is not an unfounded assumption, it is the conclusion I have come to having considered what I have seen of Zegers’ other work – which is, after all, all we have to go on when making these judgement calls. I have seen him be absolutely dreadful (Smallville, and Dawn of the Dead was on TV last night and he was pretty shit in that) but I have also seen him be very good (Transamerica). I think he can be a good actor but his range is limited and he probably needs the right director to draw a good performance out of him.

His role in Transamerica was pretty much that of a little twerp who acted like he knew everything when really he was in way over his head. He pouted and whined a lot but it was funny because it was off-set by the dry humour of Felicity Huffman.

The plus points of his performance there make me think he would do well as Theon; nothing I have seen in any of his performances make me think he would be a good Gendry.

Add to all this the fact that he is physically wrong – too old, too short, too pretty – and I really can’t see how anyone can think he is right for the role!

On Shameless, Jody Latham plays a teenager who comes from a family of, for want of a better word, chavs. He gets mixed up with his girlfriend's violent family but he works hard to look after his baby girl and protect his little brother. And sometimes he gets pissed off and hits stuff but he never whines.

I also think Latham looks a hell of a lot more like the Amok Gendry than any of the other suggestions.

I don't have any ideas about parts for him but what do you guys think about James Callis for something? I thought he look vaguely Starkish but it's mostly because of the hair for some reason.

Hmm ... he's not very tall is he? So it would probably be pushing it a bit to take advantage of the chemistry with Tricia Helfer and make him Osney Kettleblack, wouldn't it? :D I dunno, what do others reckon?!

Callis might actually make a pretty good Littlefinger.

I don't imagine Littlefinger being that camp, so I certainly can't see Callis as a Kettleblack. :D

Anyway, after consulting my books I have found the following,

Shitmouth is described as grey and grizzled so that can be Brad Dourif no problem, IMO

Raff is younger with a mop of sandy hair.

Polliver has a black beard that covers his jowls. He is not as tall as the Hound and not as heavily muscled.

Chiswyck is big with a scraggy beard.

Any ideas for them?

Hi Lyanna - Are you going to change Renly to Matthew Goode, only Lightsnake wanted to keep Tom the last time his name was brought up. :P

I want to keep Tom as well.

Callis might actually make a pretty good Littlefinger.

You know that's actually pretty true..he's got the stuff to pull it off for sure. I'm sure he's small enough as well since Helfer is taller than him :P

I don't have any ideas about parts for him but what do you guys think about James Callis for something? I thought he look vaguely Starkish but it's mostly because of the hair for some reason. :P

Only if there's also a part for his long-lost twin brother Alexander Siddig (Dr Bashir in ST:DS9). When I first saw the new BSG I thought Siddig was playing Baltar

I want to keep Tom as well.

You know that's actually pretty true..he's got the stuff to pull it off for sure. I'm sure he's small enough as well since Helfer is taller than him :P

I've always pictured Littlefinger as a small weaselly guy. Callis can obviously do weaselly but can he do small?

I just checked his imdb profile..James is only 5' 8"..as far as guys go that's fairly small.

And like you said he can do weaselly..it's worth thinking about imo.

Just one more thought..while I adore Gael Garcia Bernal he's a bit too old for Quentyn Martell. I was thinking maybe Rafi Gavron might be a good fit for Quentyn. I just saw him play a great guest role on Rome :)

Blah - Ami isn't that awful. :D

How about Leslie Phillips as Lord Frey?? (This is one for the Brits really)

I like that! I second.

So, anyway, I was thinking Amy Adams as Lysa. I know she's not fat or prematurely aged but I remembered that she was on Smallville once, in a fat suit playing a loon, so I thought this

pic could work on Lyanna's site.

Oh and I was thinking Vincent Regan for Roose. He has Bolton eyes. pic

I like that! I second.

And I third!

So, anyway, I was thinking Amy Adams as Lysa. I know she's not fat or prematurely aged but I remembered that she was on Smallville once, in a fat suit playing a loon, so I thought this

pic could work on Lyanna's site.

Ah yes, the fat suit that ate Amy's chin! I know it was the make-up department's fault and not Amy's but that really was the worst fat suit I have ever seen. The poor girl couldn't move her head properly!

Anyway, did I ever say that I liked the idea of Catherine Tate for Lysa? Cause I do...

Oh and I was thinking Vincent Regan for Roose. He has Bolton eyes. pic

Oooh, I like it. Malkovich is a genius but he's too big a star for such a relatively minor role.

Oooh, I like it. Malkovich is a genius but he's too big a star for such a relatively minor role.

Oh, I wouldn't worry about that. First off, it's not that minor a role as of ASoS. Second, I suspect Roose will have significantly more screentime in ADwD, and perhaps even into TWoW. Third, if you're going to get a guy like Malkovich, it's going to be for a smaller role... I don't see him committing to several years of intensive work...

Archived