Westeros MII:TW Mod Units

Rufats

In that vein, on with Dorne! (not sure why this was the next one, but okay)

-Infantry

Smallfolk (peasants)

Dornish smallfolk (faster peasants)

Smallfolk Spear (as normal, though using the ME milita skin)

Spearmen (relatively standard spearmen)

Swordsmen (again, relatively standard)

Desert Spearmen (lighter armor, faster, better charge and attack, maybe a single javelin)

Desert swordsmen (small unit size, good attack, good speed, can hide anwhere)

Armored spearmen (like Andal infantry, but slower to train)

Armored swordsmen (like Andal infantry, but slower to train)

Dornish guard (heavy infantry with phalanx capability)

- Cavalry

Desert cavalry (the equivalent of hobilars)

Dornish Lancers (light cav with a devastating charge, but little armor and sword skill)

Knights (mailed knights)

Dornish Noblemen (the only unit, besides bodyguard, of heavy cav)

(some more variants on the above could be added)

- Missile

Smallfolk Javelins (see Kerns for inspiration)

Archers

Dornish archers (better accuracy)

Javelins

Skirmisher archers (smaller unit size, more accurate, can hide anywhere)

Skirmisher javelins (smaller unit size, spears as a backup weapon, can hide anywhere)

Mounted Javelins (similar stats to Jinettes)

Mounted Archers

???- (Heavy horse archers. good armor, good attack. Like the Sipahis from MTW1)

- Generals

Cav Type (Normal bodyguard type)

- Naval

Dhow

Galleas

(more can certainly be added, two is not enough. emphasis on speed and attack)

Merentha -

I suggested Dorne next because I thought it made sense to finish with the large Andal armies... leads into the breakdown between them more easily... on that track, I'd do the North next, and finish with the Andals (Riverlands, Vale, Westerlands, etc.).

That said, I notice that you distinguish between standard, desert, and Dornish variants of some unit types... and that confuses me somewhat. Are you drawing a distinction between sandy and stony Dornish troops? I could see the sandy Dornish being more desert-types... light armor, light horse, but very fast... with the stony Dornish being more similar to the Andal model... mail armor, and perhaps some plate, heavier horse, etc. I just can't understand why you'd have Dornish smallfolk *and* standard smallfolk available...

Mounted archers... I'm assuming these are archers who can mount up and travel quickly, before dismounting to fire? These I'd imagine more for the Andal armies (if this unit type is doable in M2TW)... as compared with horse-archers, which I see as firing from horseback (and fits the Dornish model).

Also, naval... I think Dorne should eventually be able to build Galleys and War-Galleys, if not Dromonds, *if* they decide to build up their navy that far... I can't see any reason why those ships would be prohibited to them. Certainly they can't build them at the start, and it would be approaching ruinous for them to build up their capacity to allow dromonds, but it should be *possible*, no?

Merentha -

:agree:

Question for our intrepid modders: is it possible to restrict what units are available by geographic location? For instance, could we have the Dornish build a particular kind of spearmen in one castle, and another type of the same level spearmen in another? The goal would be to have 'Sandy' Dornish recruited in the desert areas, 'Stony' Dornish in the mountains, and 'Salty' Dornish near the coasts... but spearmen are spearmen... perhaps there's a default building in each particular region?

Marcus: No, I don't think we did any of that for Greyjoy... but this ties into some of the questions I was asking on the main mod thread. How much are we trying to mod this?

If it's possible to make different units based on regional location, then perhaps we can have each important house contribute it's own troops... So, troops produced out of Winterfell wear Stark tabards and carry Stark shields... while troops out of the Dreadfort wear the flayed man on their tabards and shields. Both troops carry the Stark wolf on their banners, though. This would add some more flavor to the game, as you could look at your army, and see all your bannermen. I think it'd be kind of fun. :)

However, I don't think we designated any 'special' units for the Ironborn aside from Drowned Men. I couldn't think of any... though I haven't spent too much time on it. No one else suggested any either.

Ah! Special units like elephants? If I remember properly, elephants can only be trained in a few select provinces.

Or perhaps the Ironborn "Reaver" units would be comprised of axemen, and would have significant bonuses against militia units, and penalties against castle-raised units... just a thought.

Another thought on the Ironborn... their ships should have increased defense bonuses... from AFfC, Victarion notes that the greenlanders are afraid of drowning, so they wear no armor. This suggests that Ironmen in general wear heavier armors aboard their ships... so they'd be harder to kill. Just a thought.

Well, I think Dorne needs a bit of clarification...

First, are we going to distinguish between Sandy, Stony, and Salty Dornish for the units? If so, what are the differences, aside from coloration?

Second, are there any special units for the Dornish? Mounted Archers? Norvosi axemen (perhaps as general's bodyguards)? Excellent assassins (poisoners)?

Firstly, I LOVE what you guys are doing, I just have a related, but slightly off-topic question...

[threadjack]My laptop isn't powerful enough to run MII:TW, so I don't have it and won't be getting it, but I was wondering if anybody made a Westeros mod for MI:TW, which I have, because I would kill to have it... anyone? Thanks for any help you can give me![/threadjack]

Archived