[AFfC Spoilers] Best Death

Steve the Pirate

• 1 year later...
My personal favorite is Tywin Lannister getting a bolt in the belly while on the shitter. It makes me laugh every time, and I love that Tyrion is done taking shit from his asshole old man.

Arya taking out Dareon was fun too. I hate that poser prick more than Darkstar.

The death I enjoyed most was Catelyn Stark getting her throat slit and having her body tossed into the river like garbage. I had yearned for that since the moment she first entered the story in earnest, and I jumped for joy when it finally came... Then that joy turned to ashes in my mouth when she came back... so I'm hoping her next death will be particularly gruesome.

Certainly the Red Viper for me. He just seemed like such an entertaining character from what we saw of him. His death was also, for me, the most dramatic thing that's happened in the series so far, for a couple of reasons:

1) He had Gregor right where he wanted him, but doomed himself trying to get that confession out of him. Near the end of that fight, I was thinking "Stop talking and FINISH HIM!"

2) With the Red Viper dying, things seemed pretty bleak for Tyrion, my favorite character. His only possible out that I could see was Jaime.

I actually like the posthumous death scenes, the one's we only get secondhand. Rhaegar's is very poignant to me from many sides. So much is misunderstood there. Robert is noble in his own way, believes he is fighting for the woman he loves against the man who raped her; it always saddens me in the first book when he talks about how he could kill Rhaegar "only once," and that Rhaegar won b/c he got a grave and Robert got Cersei Lannister. Then there's Rhaegar himself, obviously, fighting to defeat the rebellion and then (possibly) depose or phase out his father as king--the changes he referred to, perhaps making himself King's Hand and ruling the realm. He too was fighting for his love, and purportedly dies saying her name.

Then we have the other side of the coin, which is the death of the three Kingsguard defending the Tower of Joy. We don't see the actual deaths per se, but I like the idea that they are outnumbered more than 2-1 and they basically tell Eddard that they won't surrender b/c of their vows. Another one of those poignant moments where circumstances conspire to bring good people to kill each other, which always sadden me the most.

At the risk of sounding too twisted, I think Catelyn's death was the best described. I saw it coming based on the dwarf woman's prophecy but the way it happened was so shocking. It was a beautiful description in a horryifng sort of way. I never realized that that she was actually clawing apart her face until someone said it later in ASOS or in AFFC (I forget which).

Archived