Bioshock

Mackaxx

Spoooge

http://www.2kgames.com/bioshock/_media/_vi...ock_X06_480.wmv

What a goddam video!

http://www.2kgames.com/bioshock/enter.html

The game starts with the player underwater following a plane crash in the ocean, surrounded by debris. No introductory cut scene is displayed explaining how this happened, leaving the player to decide for themselves why they were on the plane. Nearby, a lighthouse is sticking out of the water, in the middle of the ocean. Upon getting inside and traversing the internal stairwell, the player finds a bathysphere, with a corpse inside. Upon removing the corpse and descending in the bathysphere (having nowhere else to go), the player eventually reaches an underwater city on the ocean floor.

A plot unfolds involving the crumbling city, named Rapture, and the utopian society for which it was built. A man named Andrew Ryan, a former Soviet citizen, built the city in 1946, and the society was envisioned as the ultimate capitalistic and individualist paradise, with the elite achieving for themselves, rather than for the whole. Protected by a network of giant sea walls and consisting of a cluster of enormous skyscraper-shaped hive towers, Rapture was designed to be entirely self-supporting, with all of its electricity, food production, water purification and defense systems powered by the natural undersea currents of the ocean. At one point, it is learned that Rapture's population numbered several thousand at its peak during the early 1960s, composed of those people Ryan viewed as the best examples of mankind. A large and tiered economy grew among the people, catering different quality products to different levels of the society. The city itself is inspired by Art Deco and has an appearance merging the futuristic and archaic.

A scientific discovery upset the balance of the society. Two scientists studying ocean-floor dwelling creatures discovered a species of sea slug that secretes pure stem cells. These could be used to enhance one's body, improving physical or mental capabilities, curing diseases and healing injuries. A young entrepreneur named Fontaine invested early on in the research to gain control over the material. The substance, dubbed "Adam", became so sought after in the society, that it became the dominant currency of the city. A "full-scale genetic arms race" broke out between Ryan and Fontaine as Fontaine's monopoly on Adam threatened the current social structure. Ryan eventually won, but everyone in the city was permanently changed. During the war, it was discovered that Adam could be used to modify one's body, combining technology and mutations to adapt and survive the conflict, but losing their humanity in the process. During the conflict, all natural sources of Adam were destroyed, which eventually resulted in a major shift in the "ecology" of the city, as all inhabitants had become biologically dependent on Adam to survive.

When the player arrives in Rapture, the city is in a state of disrepair, its vast underground living areas and laboratory complexes scarred by the effects of the civil war and poisoned by biological weapons. Low-level flooding is also found to be a problem, as the use of high-powered explosives and corrosion weapons during the war created small breaches in the city's sea walls, allowing the sea to enter some of the buildings.

As the player descends through the underwater city, he or she will explore the many levels of the giant undersea base, including the huge living quarters modules, the multi-floored scientific headquarters and the undersea monorail transport network. Remnants of the last days remain in notes and recordings made by the citizens before and during the collapse of Rapture's society. Not only does this provide background, it also opens new avenues in the player's interaction with the ecology of Rapture.

This is looking GOOOOooOoood. Plus, Im a bit of a system shock 1 and 2 lover.

Between this and Crysis, I hope I can save up enough $$ for a new computer. Mine is starting to get on in years and I know there are some games already that are pushing it's limits.

Wow, I haven't seen a game trailer that amazing for a looooong time.

Must check this out.

I'm starting to regret getting myself a 360 (not really) because I keep having a conundrum over whether to get the PC or 360 versions of games.

Im starting to think that maybe instead of getting the new PC, A 360 might be a touch cheaper. Will see what the cash situation is like a bit later, the machine does still run new stuff but the fecking around to get things going well is starting to give me the irrits.

MAss Effect won't be oblivion in space. The style of the game is much different. Elder scrolls generally is a sandbox game with an overall plot plan, but you do what you want when you want.

Bioware games genearlly are more story driven and linear, but you have freedom to do things out of order, and have real options (which JRPGs never have) that have consequences on the story.

Not sure about bioshock though... trailer looks like a generic gorefest.

-Cuellar

Between this and Crysis, I hope I can save up enough $ for a new computer. Mine is starting to get on in years and I know there are some games already that are pushing it's limits.

I love the budgetary considerations going on here. Crysis and Bioshock are not only coming out on the same day as one another (June 30th) but also on the same day as Spore. Brilliant planning there. However, I'd imagine all these dates are still changeable this far off from release, so a saner schedule may appear.

My PC is only a year old and I'm now faced with the prospect of definitely having to get more RAM and possibly a new graphics card already to do

justice :(

Bioshock looks interesting. Was never a massive Deux Ex or System Shock fan though, so I'll have to consider this one.

Bioshock is on my short list for blockbuster titles of 2007 for me. The others are:

Crysis

Mass Effect

Dragon Age

Supreme Commander

I hated Deus Ex. Okay I'll wait till you guys recover from that one. Reasons why I hated this game:

1. Terrible A.I. : The A.I. is right out of the original Unreal with the sidestep cheat in place.

2. Murky graphics: A definite downturn in not only graphics from a technical point but also an aesthetic point. Everything is painted in drab colors and the level design is uninspired.

3. Story is shit. The story includes everything. Aliens, conspiracies, terrorism, etc.. but the story has no focus. I hate the monotonous voice acting too.

I loved System Shock 2 though. Very scary and intense. The first time a zombie came at me with a monkey wrench screaming "I'm sorry" I got totally creeped out I had to pause the game. Then there was the psychokinetic monkeys and the toughest spiders I've encounted in a game outside of the amazing Thief series. To top it all off SS2 had one of the coolest enemies in a FPS game ever: the Cyber Assassins/Virtual Assassins.

My PC is only a year old and I'm now faced with the prospect of definitely having to get more RAM and possibly a new graphics card already to do
justice :(

i havent been paying attention ...but wow. Crysis looks amazing.

Crysis is awesome because:

1) You can freeze people and then shatter bits off of them.

2) The cyber-spider thing is ridiculously huge. Giant cyber-spider things are always good.

3) In the multiplayer game you have a base which your team-members must man, churning out tanks and jeeps and stuff, and then run out and leap in them and kill stuff. FPS Command and Conquer in other words, and that is the shit. You can also salvage bits from destroyed enemy vehicles and weld them onto your vehicles. Tanks with lasers or freeze-cannons FTW!

4) There's some kind of mutation you pick up which allows you to punch people so hard they fly off over the tops of buildings. The video also shows you being able to flip over a tank with your crazy bare hands of giga-strength.

5) It's made by the same people who made Far Cry and Far Cry is brilliant.

That Bioshock video is pretty impressive though. Was that supposed to FPS mode? You can look down and see a massive corkscrew sticking out of your stomach if the enemy hits you from behind? :o Jack Thompson's gonna be in hog's heaven!

What in gods name is going on with posts lately, this another one I have to write again, irritating.

Not sure about bioshock though... trailer looks like a generic gorefest.

It looks a lot like the previous system shock games, which certainly weren't your generic gorefests. Gore yest, shootem up, no. Now, if it is a generic gorefest Im going to be the first to hope off the bandwagon.

By the look of the gameplay videos though its looking pretty tight with the predecessors.

That Bioshock video is pretty impressive though. Was that supposed to FPS mode? You can look down and see a massive corkscrew sticking out of your stomach if the enemy hits you from behind? :o Jack Thompson's gonna be in hog's heaven!

To be honest I think that video had a fair bit of artistic indulgence in it, yes it was using the game engine but i reckon some stuff has been added in. Surely it cant be that cool.

So which aspect do you guys find more controversial, that the main character seemed ready to kill a little girl with a wrench, or that the setting seems to take some major potshots at free-market philosophy?

Also, looking at the website a bit, I think there was a sign that said 'Happy New Year, 1959'. So, um, where did the little girl come from? She would have been born well after everything went to hell.

Why are you all so sure that the PoV in the video is the Main Character? It really didn't seem like it was the Player-Character to me.

I thought it was a cut scene; maybe part of the intro, with the PoV of an NPC.

The handling of the wrench doesn't look like in game action and neither does the complete lack of any sort of HUD and why would the bit with the creature holding out it's hand to the monster be there?

Of course it could be that it was just created as a trailer and it is supposed to be the Player, but I'm as close as I can be to certain that that's not something that happens in game.

Archived