Bioshock

Mackaxx

Killing the kiddies does seem to be a key part of the game (they're a source of 'Adam', the stuff that creates genetic mutations ), so the general concept of the scene as presenting how a PC might approach matters is probably true enough. But it really does seem very much a cut-scene -- made, no doubt, with the game engine, but still a cut scene.

Maybe "cutscene" is a little too precise. I should say that it looks like a dramatic trailer from an NPCs point of view (standing in for the PC). I don't imaginge you're going to be able to look down and see a giant drill sticking out of your gut, or getting knocked around in quite that fashion.

Just a guess, though.

Tobin,

SPOILER: Bioshock
According to the Wikipedia page on the game, the little girl is one of the 'Gatherers', who are genetically-engineered to collect and process the 'Adam' stuff around which the plot revolves, and which gives the player their various abilities (like the bugs that flew out of the guy's arm). The designers made the Gatherers children to try and give players a bit of a moral quandry when deciding how to go about replinishing their Adam supply.

The big guys are Protectors, or 'Big Daddies', and they protect the Gatherers.

They only attack you when you attack the little girls....

As for it being a cutscene, yep, I agree. But, the getting thrown about thing, I kinda hope thats in it. Recovering your feet whilst lurching around would be an awesome addition if done well.

• 6 months later...

Yeah, same here.

That was a cool review, but I can't help but get the feeling that even though it was spoiler-free as far as the plot went, that it told me too much about the gameplay that I would have enjoyed learning for myself.

I'm not reading any more on this game for fear of spoilers.

Just over a week to go :)

EDIT: Actually. One question. PC or XBox260???

The review looks down on the console version, but it's obvious that they are way biased due to being PC players. Question is, despite that how accurate is what they say.

I'm sort of tempted to go for 360 (because my computer has some shit fucking it up), but I'm a keyboard/mouse player when it comes to First-Person Shooters.

I've been playing the crap out of the 360 demo... this game is art, simple as that.

As for the PC vs. console debate, its simply a personal preference. I prefer to do my gaming in my living room from the comfort of my couch, on my monstrous HDTV, with the volume cranked on my home theatre system. So the Xbox 360 works better for me.

lol. I try not to enter system wars, but purely on a personal note, consoles are just so much better for me. Only thing they miss out on is the user mods and that strategy games are difficult on a console without a keyboard.

Say what you will, I'll always be a keyboard/mouse girl - paddles make my hands cramp.

Plus, with a PC I can replace/upgrade the parts I want instead of having to buy a whole new system.

Plus, with a PC I can replace/upgrade the parts I want instead of having to buy a whole new system.

Pretty much the reason i don't like PCs. I can understand why techie folk love PCs but as an untechie person, I loathe and hate anything where i have to boot stuff up, install things or add components.

I'm not anti-console really, we have a PS2 for FinalFantasy.

I just don't like how gaming corporations seems to be trying to gravitate toward console-only games. There are even rumors that PC games will be phased out in the next 10-20 years.

I suppose it makes market sense - Plug-n-Play consoles are much easier for non-techie customers to use - no hassle - so are more likely to access a customer base that complex/fickle PCs frighten away. Plus, you're guaranteed to have a fresh crop of unit sales every 5 years or so.

Still, PCs offer more than just purely gaming options, as Alton Brown might say: "A PC is not a uni-tasker!".

I'm not anti-console really, we have a PS2 for FinalFantasy.

I just don't like how gaming corporations seems to be trying to gravitate toward console-only games. There are even rumors that PC games will be phased out in the next 10-20 years.

I suppose it makes market sense - Plug-n-Play consoles are much easier for non-techie customers to use - no hassle - so are more likely to access a customer base that complex/fickle PCs frighten away. Plus, you're guaranteed to have a fresh crop of unit sales every 5 years or so.

Still, PCs offer more than just purely gaming options, as Alton Brown might say: "A PC is not a uni-tasker!".

Actually, I'd put it the other way.

PCs are becoming smarter and easier to use all the time. Driver problems generally become less, not more and its much easier now for your Average Joe to have things working on a PC than it was 10-12 years ago and that includes playing games.

PCs aren't going to go away as a games platform as far as I see.

There are just too many titles which aren't terribly feasible on consoles and PC games do sell. Just not as well as consoles.

I love the advantages of consoles, and they keep closing the gap, as mods are starting to even make an appearance. I would love to get a 360 because it would have most of the games I'm interested in (and an exclusive or two to boot, like Mass Effect) and I'd have a guaranteed good experience with them. Only one thing stops me . . . I must have a mouse and keyboard for FPS.

Archived