Bioshock

Mackaxx

Hubby is having harsh graphics issues - lots of missing/borked textures (see-through floor in some places too :stunned: ).

Some advice from other players say it's the ATI drivers he's running, to scrub out the old ones completely and reinstall the new.

We'll see if that works.

The game is spooky as hell - if you every played American McGee's Alice, you'll get a similar 'not-quite-right' sinister Disneyland kind of feel.

I love Atlas' accent though, :mellow:

Hubby is having harsh graphics issues - lots of missing/borked textures (see-through floor in some places too ).

Some advice from other players say it's the ATI drivers he's running, to scrub out the old ones completely and reinstall the new.

We'll see if that works.

bloody pcs

I have to get this game.

ETA: Easier said than done though. I already got The Darkness, Gears of War, Rainbow Six: Vegas and Guitar Hero II for the 360 as well as Trauma Centre: Second Opinion for the Wii last weekend.

How can I justify getting another game when I haven't even opened The Darkness yet?

How can I justify getting another game when I haven't even opened The Darkness yet?

Easy! The Darkness isn't very long.

Hubby is having harsh graphics issues - lots of missing/borked textures (see-through floor in some places too :stunned: ).

We'll see if that works.

Every time people start to have that asinine "PC vs. console" debate I bring up the fact that I like that my consoles "just work," and that I dislike dealing with things like driver issues, and every time I do that a bunch of people jump on me and say that that's a thing of the past and it's not a problem anymore. And yet posts like this are very common. WTF?

Every time people start to have that asinine "PC vs. console" debate I bring up the fact that I like that my consoles "just work," and that I dislike dealing with things like driver issues, and every time I do that a bunch of people jump on me and say that that's a thing of the past and it's not a problem anymore. And yet posts like this are very common. WTF?

I'm certain that it's a personal experience thing.

I haven't had driver problems in years, but then, it's my personal habit to keep them rather up-to-date anyways.

I'm surprised that they do still occur though.

And installing new Graphic Adapter drivers is really not much of a chore (IMO)

I'm certain that it's a personal experience thing.

I haven't had driver problems in years, but then, it's my personal habit to keep them rather up-to-date anyways.

I'm surprised that they do still occur though.

And installing new Graphic Adapter drivers is really not much of a chore (IMO)

I agree that installing new drivers isn't difficult, but:

- You and I know what we're doing. If it's not something Joe Sixpack can do, there's a problem.

- Why the hell am I tasked with determining that that's the problem?

- Why do I have to go to the website and find new drivers? Why isn't that a menu option in any of the crapware hardware makers install? (or is it now?)

- Just because it doesn't happen often to you (especially since it's because you're update-conscious) doesn't mean it's not widespread.

easy. Bioshock is the second best game on that list. (gears of war being tops unless yer a Guitar Freak)

easy. Bioshock is the second best game on that list. (gears of war being tops unless yer a Guitar Freak)

I think Bioshock makes Gears of War look a bit amateurish... the only facet that Gears trumps Bioshock is the multiplayer aspect - I guess its a big deal for some, but not me... I'll take a compelling story and atmosphere in a single player campaign over multiplayer every time.

Multiplayer really trumps everything else. Why? Because playing against the same tired AI that gets stuck on corners or jumps out from cover or otherwise acts stupid as hell gets tiring when you play a single player game to its conclusion more than a few times. Multiplayer gives you thousands of hours logged on a game for two reasons: its a social experience (everyone screaming because Zak got a grenade tag on a n00b) and humans are always unpredictable. To this day, I cannot predict nor anticipate the skill level of some players on the net.

Multiplayer trumps all that single player shit in quick minute. Give me a human opponent before you give me an AI.

I'll give you that... multiplayer is the greatest challenge you can find in videogamedom. I guess I'm a bit old school (started with PONG in the late 70's) in that I think well crafted single player can still be great.

Multiplayer really trumps everything else. Why? Because playing against the same tired AI that gets stuck on corners or jumps out from cover or otherwise acts stupid as hell gets tiring when you play a single player game to its conclusion more than a few times.

It depends. Certainly AI isn't up to scratch, but often that isn't the brilliant parts of the single-player experience. Those usually come from really well done set-pieces (and Gears of War SP really is just a long sequence of set-pieces. More so than any game I can think of off hand that I've played in the past few years [hmmm, maybe Thief 3 too])

Multiplayer's downside are the total asswipes you find on random pick up games. And for me, and I know quite a few other people, that's a big downside.

LANs and games with people I know and get along with are truly the greatest experience for me.

I've had some amazing times were a bunch of us stay at a mate's house for a weekend, hook our machines together and just play. I've had weekends with like 40+ hours of gameplay that way (including Friday evening).

Great stuff.

Graphics seems to be fixed - now the game is not nearly so dark and he can actually see some of the critters charging for him.

Now that it works, the game looks great - but still locks up when he tries to hack vending machines, :unsure:

Has anyone with the PC version had trouble with the update portion of install? Installation works fine until it has to connect to the Bioshock Auto Updater or whatever it's called, and then it just never makes a connection. I tried turning off anti-virus and firewall. Other web traffic works fine. Strangely enough, the 2K support page link from the updater never loaded for me last night, even while other pages were loading up fine.

Multiplayer really trumps everything else. Why? Because playing against the same tired AI that gets stuck on corners or jumps out from cover or otherwise acts stupid as hell gets tiring when you play a single player game to its conclusion more than a few times. Multiplayer gives you thousands of hours logged on a game for two reasons: its a social experience (everyone screaming because Zak got a grenade tag on a n00b) and humans are always unpredictable. To this day, I cannot predict nor anticipate the skill level of some players on the net.

Multiplayer trumps all that single player shit in quick minute. Give me a human opponent before you give me an AI.

Comes down to taste single player isnt all about the AI for start. Multiplayer isnt a social experience either for most people, its running around shooting 8 year olds while they bitch and whine and so on. For the nerdy it is, and ive had my fair share of such nerdy experiences, but never over the net, its been with other people physically present in the room at say a LAN thing.

Multiplayer cant give you an ounce of the atmosphere of a well done single player game. It does give you tonnes of the atmosphere given by multiplayer games, like those intense little 1 on 1 battles you can have occationally. But please note occationally, its usually interspaced with lots of grindy by the numbers multiplayer action.

It depends on what you're looking for, really.

In the context of a well-crafted game: multiplayer will hands-down give you more playtime for the reasons Coco listed, so if you look at a game's value as a function of time spent playing then of course it's going to "win." If you're after a compelling storyline, singleplayer really can't be beaten for obvious reasons.

I like both experiences, so I buy different games. :)

To me, this is a technological limitation. There are games in development that plan on fusing multiplayer capability with single player atmosphere/AI

Co-operative play does a really good job at this when done well, IMO.

I'd love to get a co-op story mode of Rainbow Six going. Zak and I were talking about maybe doing that.

My roommate got the game and it looks insanely awesome. He's been playing it more or less constantly since Tuesday and I've watched some of it.

I could only just barely get it running on my machine if I were to upgrade to a more modern graphics card. The min requirements stretch my old machine to the limit. Sigh, gonna have to get a new desktop one of these days. :(

Archived