Red Seas Under Red Skies

Stego

I liked Bug too.

Are there interludes in RSuRS? Felt like some of the longer interludes in the first half of LoLL brought the momentum of the novel to a screeching halt.

Although I'd invite interludes with Sabetha in them, damnit what happened between her and Locke?!

Ah, but American cover sort of sucks. I want this beautiful red cover, and besides it fits together with tLoLL HC cover.

Now I'm torn. Looked up the covers and I love the red cover...but then again, I think that this new American cover is quite good too...

I liked Bug too.

Are there interludes in RSuRS? Felt like some of the longer interludes in the first half of LoLL brought the momentum of the novel to a screeching halt.

Although I'd invite interludes with Sabetha in them, damnit what happened between her and Locke?!

SPOILER: RSURS
There are interludes, but they only go back a few months to the start of the long con. Thus the flashbacks are much more firmly tied to the narrative of the book and don't slow it down. They also disappear about halfway through the novel. The novel is paced much better than LoLL (which was okay, but could have done with some better placement of the flashbacks).

I liked Bug too.

I believe that Lynch has stated that the Sabetha stuff will be in book 3.

Review at my blog but a short(er) precis follows:

The book delivers on much of the promise shown in Lies. The story is better-written and, thanks to modifications and reductions in the number of flashbacks in the story, flows much more smoothly. With the characters of Locke and Jean already established, Lynch is able to get on with telling the story, introduce new characters and show the first, barely-discernable inklings of what the series' over-arcing storyline might become. Red Seas remains a stand-alone novel, however, although reading Lies first is still recommended.

There are a few problems with the book. The story structure is very similar to that of Lies, at least to start off with. Those who have read the first novel may find themselves afflicted with deja vu for the first few chapters, although the story does take off in a totally different direction. There is also an issue with the ending of the novel: Lynch introduces some new characters who come in and help sort everything out. This is even more mystifying when a few paragraphs inserted at the start of the novel could have made this part of the story much more compelling. However, given that Lynch has made such huge strides in other areas of the book (particularly in the prose - which is more confident this time around - and the development of the Locke-Jean friendship as we really get inside their heads and see how reliant they are on one another), these problems can be somewhat disregarded.

In the final analysis, Red Seas is a damn fine, enjoyable read and a worthy follow-up to its acclaimed forebear.

I'm so fucking jealous. :P

I need to start blogging book reviews. You guys seems to get all the good stuff. :drunk:

I seriously considered doing this just so I could get my hands on advance copies, but then I remembered that I'd actually have to a review. :|

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, Scott will be at the Elf Fantasy Fair this weekend in the Netherlands, where I'll also be attending. Really looking forward to the whole festival. David Durham will also be present. In previous years they had Tad Williams ( 2006), George RR Martin ( 2002), Robert Jordan ( 2001) and Robin Hobb ( 2003).

BTW does anyone know if the UK edition will be without a map again> If the US edition does have one when the Uk edition doesn't, I'll wait a month and buy from Bantam Spectra. Otherwise I'll get the Uk edition...

Archived