e-mail notifications

Astra

Since tha major downtime a few weeks ago I have got problems with email notifications. I receive them by dozens for one topic.

I just double checked. I have the Type: Delayed Emailed Notification , however, whenever someone replies I get email. Maybe even more, I am not sure. For example I have not been here for 48 hours. I received some 20 emails for just one topic. I think there were about 20 replies since then.

Thank you.

AL.

What's the topic? Why not unsubscribe from the thread in question, or change to a digest format... ? You can do these things via My Controls.

I think there is a misunderstanding.

Let's try again :)

When you subsribe to a topic, you have a choice of how often would you like to receive email notifications.

No Email Notification

This option will not send out any email notification but will retain the topic or forum in your subscriptions panel.

Delayed Emailed Notification

This option will send out a notification if a new topic or reply has been made and you're not active on the board.

Immediate Email Notification

This option will send out a notification immediately after a new topic or reply has been made regardless of your activity.

Daily Email Digest

This option will send out a daily digest showing all new replies or topics for that day

Weekly Email Digest

This option will send out a weekly digest showing all new replies or topics for that week

As you can se the Delayed Emailed Notification has a certain purpose. It worked just fine until this downtime. after that it became a mess.

I do not want to unsubscribe from the topic. I want a Delayed Emailed Notification, instead (I guess) I get Immediate Email Notification, which is wrong. So, I report the problem. That is what this topic is about :)

Been unsubscribed from all topics and forums for a while.

Today I subscribed to a Delayed Email notification for a topic "Cameron claims to have found tomb of Jesus"

The last time I logged in was around 16.40 and look what happens after that:

Now look at this:

screen shot

It is 100% problem with the forum. Maybe you don't know how to find the problem, but there is one. For some reason forums treats option Delayed Email Notification as Instant email notification, whoch is wrong. You really got to do something about it. Maybe my char. got currupted I don't know.

But you just said it yourself - these are all emails for replies made since you left the forum. That's what Delayed Email notification is, as I read it - replies that are made while you are not active (i.e. while you are not in the 'users online' at the bottom).

I don't know what kind of email replies you're looking for, but from an outsider's perspective the emails are behaving in the way I'd expect for "Delayed Email Notification".

Hrm. Aoife is absolutely right. Delayed notification means, as you noted, "This option will send out a notification if a new topic or reply has been made and you're not active on the board. "

When you are gone, it will notice this and send you a notification each time a post is made. When you are around and a post is made, it will not send any notification, is my understanding.

So I think it is working. If you only want to be notified once a day of updates, the digest would be your best bet.

Finally, if that doesn't satisfy your cocern, unsubscribe from your topics. You'll recieve no more notifications.

Good idea :)

The behaviour I experienced before downtime in January.

Let's say I am subsribed to a topic A.

I leave the forum.

Someone replied to the topic.

I receive email notification, and that's it. I will not receive any further email notifications until I log in regardless of how many replyes followed this first reply. That's how it worked. That's the usual type of email notification I subsribe to on other forums. 9 out of 10 have this option, and if I am not mistaken, it is called Delayed Email Notification.

The advantage of this type of notification is that if I am subsribed to 10 topics and I didn't check the forum for 6 hours, when every topic received 15 replies after I left forum, then when I check my email, instead of having 10x15=150! email notifications I have only 10, 1 for each topic.

Sure I was right.

This is a quotation from email notification I receive from this forum:

If you have configured in your control panel to receive immediate topic reply notifications, you may receive an

email for each reply made to this topic.  [b]Otherwise, only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic.

This is to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox[/b].

My case is the "Otherwise, only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic. This is to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox."

Moreover, it worked like that. It is not something that was not here and now I am asking to implement a new feature. I just went through some other forums, it is always the same Delayed email notification - when you receive only 1 email for each topic and nothing else until you log in.

Well, I start to repeat myself. Sorry.

How are you replying to these messages? Using the 'Fast Reply' option? There is (or was) a known issue with that - 'Enable email notification of replies' went straight to the Immediate format, and changing it in your control panel didn't fix it.

Other than that, it may just be that Invision changed how Delayed Email Notification works and did not change the text of the email notification.

And sometimes I do not receive any notifications at all.

Like *February Reading Thread topic. no notifications though there were at least 3 replies since I last checked the forum.

Didn't receive notification when you replyed as well. Maybe there is an intermittent problem with mail server.

I never use fast reply option.

If Inovision changed definition of Delayed email notif. it is wrong. Because right now it behaves like Instant email notif. There is no point to have both of them, moreover on other forums this option behaves like it should and here it was OK as well. all in all, there is an error somewhere, either settings, code, database?? or my char. Unfortunatelly, I do not understand anything about it, cannot help :(

The fact that it used to work as you expected here makes me think it's a change in the newest version of IP.Board. That's up to Invision, nothing to do with us, or Ran or Linda, or anything about this board in particular.

Unless/until they change it, you just have to live with the options you have - get an email for every topic and reply, get an email for every topic and reply while you're not active, get one daily email with every topic and reply, or get a weekly email with every topic and reply. *shrug*

Archived