Some Aspect Emperor news-S. Bakker

Calibandar

Some Bakker news on Aspect Emperor here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Ordeal-Aspec...8604&sr=1-1

Orbit has listed the book for a March 2008 release. The US and Canada editions have sofar been a few months ahead of that so we may hope for a December/January release, but it's still speculation.

There's a short synopsis of the book included as well in that link ( naturally it would include spoilers for those who have not read the first series). The book is called "The Great Ordeal". Wasn't The Ordeal also mentioned in the books already, as some sort of historical event? Was it not the summoning the other chieftains and kings of the Three Seas, by Celmomas?

Man I'm looking forward to this book, Reaper's Gale/Dance with Dragons level.

Cool news.

There's a short synopsis of the book included as well in that link ( naturally it would include spoilers for those who have not read the first series). The book is called "The Great Ordeal". Wasn't The Ordeal also mentioned in the books already, as some sort of historical event? Was it not the summoning the other chieftains and kings of the Three Seas, by Celmomas?

Yep, the first Great Ordeal was the Holy War called by Celmomas and Seswatha against Golgotterah, preceding the Apocalypse.

And Achamian, who lives as a Wizard in embittered exile, undertakes a mad quest to uncover the origins of the Dunyain.

Oh man, good times ahead. I can't wait for this book; after ADWD, this is my most anticipated book. Doesn't look like Cnaiur will be in this, but I was expecting him to have died in any case, so not a big shock. Still, I do love the most violent of men.

There's a couple of very cool things in this synopsis IMO:

The bit about the murderous children for one, clearly denoting that they had more children than the child about to be born at the end of TTT ( we don't know if this was a boy or a girl do we?). Then there is of course Serwe's son by Cnaiur ( or by Kellhus, I don't recall who really fathered the boy), who'd be the same age as Kellhus and Esmenet's firstborn. Can't wait to find out more about these children, and Kellhus' attitude towards them. I think Bakker will develop some interesting new characters here.

I also love the description of Kellhus as either " a living God or a Demon from Hell" , leading the armies of the Three Seas into the cold North.

Plus I'm very keen to see how the Consult will have developed in that time. Plus we know we'll see more of the Nonmen in Aspect Emperor. I'll be getting the gorgeous Canadian editions again btw, I wonder if they will be in the same cover style.

Out of interest, how old will everybody be in this trilogy? I know Kellhus will be about 55 (which makes "his" firstborn about 23 or 24). But how old are the rest. Akka, especially, I would be expecting to be a bit decrepit by fantasy world standards.

Yes, Kellhus would be about 55 if exactly 20 years pass. That would also make his own firstborn 20, and Little Moenghus just a few months older than that. Achamian was 47 at the start of PoN so he is nearly 70 by the time Aspect Emperor begins. Cnaiur's story arc seems to be over, but for completeness's sake he was 44 during PoN. Esmenet would be 51.

I'd expect Kellhus to look and behave significantly younger than a regular 55 year old though, in fact I'd think that he'll only have increased in power, knowledge and wisdom in the 20 years that have passed.

So 5 years passed in the first trilogy? I didnt realise that. Yes, I think Kellhus will be more than capable. I realised that Seswatha must have been in his 60s or 70s when he was running around with the young king (forget his name), so Akka will probably be fine too.

I'm interviewing Scott next month, so I'll make sure to ask him a few questions pertaining to all this! ;)

Patrick

P. S. Remember, you can submit your own questions for that Q&A. The thread must be a couple of pages back, but it's still there! :D

Some odd news from the other publishers that I've contacted. Overlook is the US publisher and they simply say that they "expect to have it out sometime in 2008" which does not sound good to me at all in terms of an earlier-than-uk-release. Then Penguin Canada, who've done such a great job with the trade paperback editions of the trilogy, come back to me saying that "they do not have the Canadian rights to publish this book "at all. Seems very peculiar to me that Penguin would not renew the contract with Bakker but perhaps they were not pleased with the sales of the trilogy.

Kal,

There is no publisher for Neuropath sofar, but it seems as if Scott has at least finished the book in a first draft for some time now.

Overlook is the US publisher and they simply say that they "expect to have it out sometime in 2008" which does not sound good to me at all in terms of an earlier-than-uk-release. Then Penguin Canada, who've done such a great job with the trade paperback editions of the trilogy, come back to me saying that "they do not have the Canadian rights to publish this book "at all. Seems very peculiar to me that Penguin would not renew the contract with Bakker but perhaps they were not pleased with the sales of the trilogy.

Kal,

There is no publisher for Neuropath sofar, but it seems as if Scott has at least finished the book in a first draft for some time now.

Shit, thats not good. I was looking forward to a 2007 release in Canada, with those beautiful Penguin covers...

Archived