AFFC Reread Project - Brienne

cteresa

It has been my thought that Brienne's "word" was "JAIME!!!"

How could this possibly help, you ask? Because if we look at Jaime's last chapter, he was in River Run contemplating his next move. He had recieved a letter from Cersei, but burned it. Which tells me he's planning on finding something else to do rather than return straight away to king's landing and die like a girl fighting with a broomstick in some trial by combat.

They hung Brienne above the Hollow Hill. Now, the Hollow Hill is not on any map, but we know that it is somewhere about a week south of River Run because of the time it took for the BwB to take Arya from there to the High Hill to the sept where Thoros saw that Robb had gone on to the twins. They must have been just a day or two from River Run at that time because it only took Arya and the Hound about a week, maybe two, to get to the Twins, and that was with doubling back a few times until they crossed the river. We also know that it is within a days ride of the Inn at the Crossroads, which is straight east of River Run.

The Strongboar was going to make his way from River Run south to Darry to try and put an end to the outlaws which were plaguing the Gatehouse Amy. If he left as soon as River Run was taken, he may be in the vicinity of the Hollow Hill at the time Brienne is being hanged. If he hears her shout for Jaime, he may come riding to her rescue, and he will probably treat her with some degree of respect out of guilt for what he did to her brought on by Jaime's "gentle" reminder of who Brienne is and how a Knight should behave in regards to a Highborn Lady.

Another theory for the word was, "ARYA!!!" which might cause the outlaws to cut her down to learn what she knows of Catelyn's youngest girl. A third is, "JUSTICE!!!" which she is not recieving, and which might well shame some of those, like Thoros, who actually have a sense of such.

I have little doubt that Brienne will somehow survive this, and I hope that Pod will as well, since he's a badass. I personally think that Ser Hyle is a coward and has never actually fought in a battle. I think the few battles he's been in he spent hiding somewhere to keep himself safe. I started thinking this when he described what became of all of the other Knights who had been at Bitterbridge, and his tone. He seems bitter, and the fact that we've never seen him fight leads me to believe that he is bitter with the knowledge that he is a coward, just as his pleading when they are going to hang him shows. The further fact that Tarly gave him demeaning work and finally dismissed him outright from his service lends creadance to this, as Tarly despises cowardice. Watching a maid fight a battle against three without lifting a finger might have been the final straw.

Another thought I had about Brienne involves Oathkeeper. I believe it may be "the Red Sword of Heros." It is made from Ice which took the life and blood of its own weilder and was then reforged half a hundred times while the smith tried to get the proper color. And it's red. We all know that the legends in ASoIaF are based on some kernal of truth, and while the truth is oftimes more fantastic even than the legend, it is fantastic in a way that seems mundane at first glance.

Why didn't I use the magic sword?

This would mean that the sword would have to end up in Dany's hands somehow. Or perhaps the other sword which Tywin had made from Ice, who's insulting and vulger name I will not repeat. It is smaller, and perhaps tailor made for a small Queen's hand. The larger Oathkeeper could go to the Dragon's third head, whoever he may be, and then they would all three have blades of Valyrian steel, as Jon has Longclaw.

• 9 months later...

Something i only picked up on my most recent re-read of affc, is brienne having her shield painted to represent the sigil of ser duncan the tall. what i havn't been able to understand if is her motivation for doing so, aside from childhood recollections of said sigil. can anyone help me here?

• 1 month later...

I wonder about Tarly dismissing Hyle Hunt. Hunt had been in his service for some years-- Sam remembers it was Hunt who saved him from drowning as a small boy, when Randyll tossed him in a lake to learn to swim. From their dialogue it's clear Tarly doesn't like Hunt much or approve of him, finds him insolent, but something had to happen to motivate Tarly to dismiss him after so many years.

My guess is that Hunt spoke too well of Brienne. Since Tarly loathes her so ferociously, Hunt speaking well of Brienne would annoy him extremely and convince him Hunt is not really a worthy manly soldier. So Hunt has lost his livelihood because he refused to go along with Tarly dissing Brienne.

aspasia

Here are a couple of things that I thought were strange, and/or wanted to ask about, on this re-read of Brienne's POV's...

One thing that I wonder about, and I can't remember if it's mentioned in any of the other books...what is the significance of finding six of Rhaegar's rubies, and waiting for the seventh?

Also, I thought that there was a strange parallel between the odd "to go north you must go south" Quaithe prophesy and the "crooked path to faith" that Brienne made note of when being led to the Quiet Isle. I don't think there's anything real to it, but it's noticeable when you do the re-read and are familar with all four books. That's probably due to making more of the text than there is, although I must say, I find lots of these seemingly magical coincidences now that I know the material, and I think Martin puts a lot of thought into his writing, more than I would have ever thought the first time I read the series.

• 3 years later...

I find it frustrating that Brienne is a follower rather than a leader. First, she follows a duty that she owes Catelyn Tully Stark. Second, she follows a duty that she owes Jaime Lannister. Brienne's weakness is that she has to follow some sort of mission. Due to this weakness, Brienne doesn't realize that it's best for her to return to Tarth, get married, and raise children.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it frustrating that Brienne is a follower rather than a leader. First, she follows a duty that she owes Catelyn Tully Stark. Second, she follows a duty that she owes Jaime Lannister. Brienne's weakness is that she has to follow some sort of mission. Due to this weakness, Brienne doesn't realize that it's best for her to return to Tarth, get married, and raise children.

Why is it best for her to deny everything that is important to her and that she does well and instead do something that is against her nature? It's not as if men find her attractive and are lining up to marry her.

Why is it best for her to deny everything that is important to her and that she does well and instead do something that is against her nature?

It is obvioulsy not best for her but some fine connoisseurs of human*s nature such as Randyl Tarly seem to have exactly the same notion about that. It cannot be helped anyway.

Why is it best for her to deny everything that is important to her and that she does well and instead do something that is against her nature? It's not as if men find her attractive and are lining up to marry her.

In "A Feast For Crows", a man offers to marry Brienne and have children with her. Brienne is a highborn woman and daughter of the Lord of Tarth. There are men who would marry her. First, Brienne followed Renly. Second, she followed Catelyn. Third, she followed Jaimee. It frustrates me that Brienne is following other people.

• 7 months later...

Wentwath[/bi] has posted a summary of the last two Brienne chapters from Russian editions, which apparenly were translated from an earlier GRRM manuscript http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/52500-translation-hints/page__view__findpost__p__2554989 . In particular, Brienne’s hanging is resolved without a trial, and the chapter ends in an arrival of ravens, instead of the Sword–Noose dilemma. Very interesting!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived