The Best Thing Jaime Could Do

Benjen Snow

How does Jaime know this is remotely an option? He knows he didn't kill Jon, he's been told that Cersei didn't kill Jon...why would he think that Ned has any suspicions about anything? Why would Jaime at all consider this to be in any way an issue?

In other words, knowing what Jaime knows, why would he think that Ned would make that jump? Hell, Cersei didn't even think that. And as pointed out later, Jaime doesn't care who knows. He's fine taking on anyone who thinks bad of him otherwise; no, the 'reasoning' behind his choice was that he thought it was what Cersei wanted and he doesn't have a problem killing innocent children.

Sorry, I was operating at the general reader level of knowledge at that time.

Okay, so let's bring it back to Jaime's POV, justification and knowledge...Jaime doesn't care correct, he does what he thinks Cersei wants...does Cersei want to die?? No. Given Jaime's characteristics I think it is a perfectly natural choice for him to do something like throw Bran out the window as opposed to say something like frightening him into silence, or inventing some cover which may or may not work. Jaime goes for the thing that will to him, most definitely work (ie. make sure there is no witness).

For Jaime it's quite simple, kill or be killed. There is no other choice. He's always been like that.

Not really; it was to go to KL to placate Robert and make sure Robert didn't turn on them. At least that was Cat's rationale.

Quote Page 63 Paperback AGOT:

"You must be Robert's hand. You must go south with him and learn the truth..." Cat's first argument in receiving the letter from Lysa. Maester Luwin agrees with such. Then the emotional blackmail with the "Would you leave your brother surrounded..." line follows.

For Jaime it's quite simple, kill or be killed. There is no other choice. He's always been like that.

And there is a point at which he realizes this, and realizes he's a dumb bunny and wishes he could think of something to do other than "stick them with the pointy end." I'd have to go looking back to find it exactly, but there is a conflict point at which Jaime wishes he were more like Tyrion-- Tyrion could figure out something clever to do, but all Jaime has ever been able to think of to do is kill whoever's handy.

So of course Jaime didn't think of a way to silence Bran; he pushes him out the window instead. DUMB bunny.

aspasia

So of course Jaime didn't think of a way to silence Bran; he pushes him out the window instead. DUMB bunny.

And of course, he fails at it, because Bran survives. The surest way to get silence is if they are dead. Dead people don't talk (unless you are watching CSI) :P

EDIT: Dumb Bunny just reminds me of Cruel Intentions...

Or if you're Thoros or Ghost of High Heart

EDIT- Ah HAH! A Storm of Swords, Bantam Paperback, page 27, Tyrion could think of something clever now, but all that occurs to me is to go at them with a sword.

Archived