Westeros M2:TW mod- Suggestions

The Prince

Sadly the medieval 2 engine can`t handle vassals well. For example the boltons would never attack the lannisters, or someone else, but would only fight against the starks. (Since they border no other faction.)

And thus we`ll decided not to add those vassals as factions.

However, you can always roleplay them. We made it so that Bolton will usually assume leadership over the north if robb and his heirs die.. There is also a unique bolton unit; So roleplaying as the boltons is quite easy.

• 8 months later...

Anybody thinking about doing a Shogun 2 Westeros mod? I haven't played Shogun 2 yet, but from the moment I saw the previews, I was thinking "Battle of the Blackwater."

The engine used for Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2 is notably hostile to modding, at least to the kind of full conversions that Westeros and Third Age are. As a result, doing a full mod of this kind is only possible up to the Medieval II engine.

So no, unfortunately. And yes, it's annoying because you don't have naval combat in Med II and certainly not the combined naval/land maps that Shogun 2 does, which would be great for the Blackwater. We can thank Creative Assembly for that one.

For everyone who is telling how it cant be done because of limited mod tools... Just look at this. Everything can be done with great team of modders !!!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/third-age-total-war

And this is their latest user interface patch: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=454862

I'm not certain, what is it that TA:TW has done which W:TW has decided itself unable to do?

As I recall, TA:TW has not implemented combined land-sea battles on the order of Shogun 2: TW (I am given to understand it has this feature) which would make a Battle of the Blackwater possible, nor has it, for that matter, implemented sea battles. Third Age Total War has created an all-new map, and though I have uninstalled M2TW for completely unrelated reasons, and therefore no longer have Westeros:Total War, I am given to understand that it has accomplished this as well. Westeros:TW has reskinned factions, though this is still a work in progress. From what I have heard, the AI of TA:TW is not improved to such an extent that AI is no longer a problem, this being a mite difficult, and uses the same tricks to equalize the AI with the player.

So, tell me, what is special about TA: TW, which, while being far more famous for its un-equaled accomplishment, that it has done, which Westeros: TW cannot do, or has outright rejected as impossible?

For everyone who is telling how it cant be done because of limited mod tools... Just look at this. Everything can be done with great team of modders !!!

http://www.moddb.com...d-age-total-war

And this is their latest user interface patch: http://www.twcenter....ad.php?t=454862

Er, Third Age is a mod of Medieval II, like Westeros. It is not a mod of Shogun II. As I said before, it is not technically possible to mod the Empire/Napoleon/Shogun II engine to the level required to make a total conversion mod either like Third Age or Westeros.

Westeros is even listed next to Third Age in the TWCenter forums you link to above. So I'm not sure what your point is.

Appropriately, CA have released modding materials needed for Napoleon and Empire just yesterday.

Which means that, yes, a new Westeros mod based on those games and their somewhat shinier (but not as much as you'd expect) graphics is now possible. But someone else can do it :P After four or five years in development on the Medieval II engine, the team isn't going to junk everything to switch over now.

EDIT: Scratch that, the modding tools don't allow a new map to be created or existing maps to be changed. Which screws that over, which is bloody annoying, as the multi-theatre map would be great for ASoIaF (one map for Westeros, another for the Free Cities, a third for Slaver's Bay etc). So for now, it's still not possible to do a TC mod based on the newer engine. Sigh.

• 4 months later...

Has there been any discussion on the King's Guard? Possibly a trait or unit?

Jaime is in as his own character (a general) but I'm not sure about the rest of them. I'll ask at TWCenter (where the actual modders are now working; the link is in my sig).

• 1 month later...

In my opinion, to really give the game longevity I'm thinking you could have a mode where you create your own character(if possible), and start off on the map as a sort of neutral character.

Now the game would play out just like the regular game, meaning you're neutral and you need to ally yourself with a side. You could start off with around 100-200 men (merc soldiers), and you could actually go to one of the Lords, whether it be Lannister or a Stark, and offer up your service. You could be sent on missions (need to be a big improvement over the crappy missions you're normally given) and could even ordered to participate in large scale battles, supporting the rest of the army. (the army would be ai controlled aside from your own unit of men.)

God help you if Roose Bolton or Tywin decides to use you as arrow fodder.

• 5 months later...

Really great mod for med2. Just a couple of things to make the gameplay better.

The rebel territories seem to just bog the game down. Most campaigns have the Stark AI unable to deal with its all those far-flung rebel provinces. Which often means that they rarely become invloved in the main campaign unless you play as them. It also makes no sense that these are rebel territories since some like the Dreadfort and Karhold are led by Stark generals. I've also noticed that it leads to odd fights like the Martells pushing their troops right up to the borders of Kings Landing. I would suggest giving the Starks all of the North and maybe the twins (or Tully could have it) and Tyrell/Beratheon should get the lands between them.

I think more faction specific knights would be good. For example Beratheon knights with stag war helms and maybe a unit of light horse for Gregor Cleganes reavers. Maybe lionhelmed lannister knights. Skins for the gold cloaks would also be good for Joffrey. Putting banners and crests on the units is also important. Using the skins, especially for Lannister and Ironborn from the HBO show would also be good.

Religion should be put back in. Even if its just Rhollor and everything else since this is a big part of Stannis cause and turns a lot of people against him.

Instead of regular assasians Stannis should get the shadow babies :ack:

Having Aegon and the Golden company appear like the Golden Horde around Griffons roost.

A bit of a biggy but, The Others as a revealed faction... :) :) :) Just need zombies and others. ;)

Really great mod for med2. Just a couple of things to make the gameplay better.

The rebel territories seem to just bog the game down. Most campaigns have the Stark AI unable to deal with its all those far-flung rebel provinces. Which often means that they rarely become invloved in the main campaign unless you play as them. It also makes no sense that these are rebel territories since some like the Dreadfort and Karhold are led by Stark generals. I've also noticed that it leads to odd fights like the Martells pushing their troops right up to the borders of Kings Landing. I would suggest giving the Starks all of the North and maybe the twins (or Tully could have it) and Tyrell/Beratheon should get the lands between them.

I think more faction specific knights would be good. For example Beratheon knights with stag war helms and maybe a unit of light horse for Gregor Cleganes reavers. Maybe lionhelmed lannister knights. Skins for the gold cloaks would also be good for Joffrey. Putting banners and crests on the units is also important. Using the skins, especially for Lannister and Ironborn from the HBO show would also be good.

Religion should be put back in. Even if its just Rhollor and everything else since this is a big part of Stannis cause and turns a lot of people against him.

Instead of regular assasians Stannis should get the shadow babies :ack:

Having Aegon and the Golden company appear like the Golden Horde around Griffons roost.

A bit of a biggy but, The Others as a revealed faction... :) :) :) Just need zombies and others. ;)

House Frey will be a separate playable faction. Not sure about Bolton, but I think most of those rebel territories will be given to the Starks in version 1.0

House banners do appear on the skins of units, and there will be Gold Cloaks as well as shadow assassins. I don't know about the Golden Company.

Head on over to http://www.twcenter....splay.php?f=721 for more details. A while back all of the Stark units were revealed.

Could you use the Kalmar Union script from Kingdoms to enact Stannis uniting with the House of Renly if Renly is assasinated. Actually, don't you have to be allied for that to work?

Do the skins appear? The version I downloaded a few weeks ago only has Stark and Tully tripped out. Most of the rest are vanilla medieval units.

I know about a 301 submod which moves the faction boundaries to what they are at the end of ADWD and adds Aegon at Griffens Roost. But IMO, my Renly campaign is only forty or so turns in and its already 302. I mean by all rights Dany should have arrived by now. ;) It would be a pretty great surprise if three or four full dragon stacks landed in the Stormlands and took my capital. :)

Could you use the Kalmar Union script from Kingdoms to enact Stannis uniting with the House of Renly if Renly is assasinated. Actually, don't you have to be allied for that to work?

Do the skins appear? The version I downloaded a few weeks ago only has Stark and Tully tripped out. Most of the rest are vanilla medieval units.

I know about a 301 submod which moves the faction boundaries to what they are at the end of ADWD and adds Aegon at Griffens Roost. But IMO, my Renly campaign is only forty or so turns in and its already 302. I mean by all rights Dany should have arrived by now. ;) It would be a pretty great surprise if three or four full dragon stacks landed in the Stormlands and took my capital. :)

The version you downloade was a pre-alpha, built by a different team. The version being worked on now has more factions, no rebel provinces at the start, the Wall and the lands beyond and fully reskinned units. However, this won't be downloadable until it's finished. As for when it will be done, the answer is 'eventually'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I reiterate what total1402 said on the Starks. Fine when you're playing as them yourself, but the AI seem to struggle because they spent the whole time besieging the Dreadfort rather than coming down to attack the Lannisters.

No point leading Robb and Roose down to defend the Riverlands (which is where they should start the game btw) if they're struggling to take their own borders.

• 7 months later...

Hey,Is it possible that somehow the recruitment capacity be really limited.I suppose this could be achieved if the recruitment of units are made much much more expensive.

Why ? - Well,First of all the original total war games cover a really wide period of time.The Westeros:Total war only covers a very short period and we already start off with a pretty large army.Realistically,you won't have a large reserve left to recruit from. So,say you start playing as the starks, then you will only have the army that robb has mobilized and the small forces that are left behind to protect the northern castles and towns.This way you will have to adopt a more tactically sound approach to achieve whatever you want to achieve.

I think it's a pretty simple adjustment that can have huge implications and make the game feel much more realistic.

By the way I am huge :D

Archived