Battlestar Galactica: The new movie + pre-Season 4 thread

Werthead

Kalbear,

I know Alcohol can be made. However, we see people drinking beer, whiskey, sparkling wine and a variety of other alcoholic beverages in large quantites all the time. You need water and not an insubstantial amount of graines to produce these beverages as well and a fair amount of time. Tobacco can be grown but are they going to devote limited agricultural resources to grow something that provides abosolutely no nutritional benefit to the user when it could be devoted to food? Alcohol you can at least argue give the drinker some calories the body can use to sustain itself. Tobacco doesn't.

I'm sure the nicoten will be very comforting as they starve.
They've already established that as long as they have raw organic material, they can make pretty much whatever they need to for subsistence. The only time they have an issue is when the organic material stocks are problematic (that happened last season towards the middle).

The fleet has gone away from being totally in starvation/desperation mode, especially after they got the Pegasus and its technology. Now, they've lost the actual ship, but I would be willing to fanwank that they spread out the tech between the two ships and improved the Bucket enough to where it's not only self-sustaining, it's fairly decent.

I'm sure the nicoten will be very comforting as they starve.

Poor people today (ie - those with almost nothing) spend more on tobacco and alcohol then anyone else. Why would they be any different?

Also, I'm imagining most of the liquor people are drinking is moonshine. Hell, we saw the deckhands making it that one episode.

And, if nothing else, the writers probably just forgot about it.

Kalbear,

They've already established that as long as they have raw organic material, they can make pretty much whatever they need to for subsistence. The only time they have an issue is when the organic material stocks are problematic (that happened last season towards the middle).

BSG has replicators?

Not exactly, but they have some way to turn basic organic material into food. Not turn it into steak or something, but at least turn it into something edible that will keep people living. And really, once you can turn something into basic sugars, you can easily make that into (shitty) alcohol.

Kalbear,

Well, if they've got some sort of nanotech that's plausable at least. It almost sounds like "food cubes" from Farscape.

They mention it in "The Passage" (I think that's what the episode is called) in S3.

I've come to the conclusion SciFi is never going to release the Season 3 DVDs in the U.S. So, I'm operating on partial information.

I think it's being released at the same time as the Pegasus movie, to build anticipation and such.

They screwed the UK on the DVD release of Season 3. After stuffing us for the Season 2 box set extras, the US and UK companies were supposed to release Season 3 at the same time and share the special features. Then, after the UK company announced the previously-agreed release date the US company decided to delay it and not bother arranging the special features until later. So the UK release of Season 3 has jack shit for extras.

Okay, it's not a major problem, but it would have been nice having the podcast commentaries and most notably the webisodes on the Season 3 UK release.

I wonder what is going to save Scifi's ass after they ax BSG? I mean what have they got left? I like the new Flash Gordon a little bit and its going to be their new flagship show?

The network didn't always suck I wonder what happened?

the still have sg atlantis which is pretty good. and eureka isn't bad either, infact eureka is their flagship not bg believe it or not.

not sure why they keep showing that awful dr.who though.

any news on caprica?

Archived