*SPOILERS* GRRM's Remark on ADwD

Tysha

But on the other side GRRM is bringing Theon’s POV back and I doubt that this would be justified if Theon will spend his entire chapters prisoner in Dreadfort.
That's why I expect him to witness Ramsay's wedding and some other important things. That's more probable than being rescued. Being prisoner isn't equal to being in dungeons.

That's why I expect him to witness Ramsay's wedding and some other important things. That's more probable than being rescued. Being prisoner isn't equal to being in dungeons.

Let us say so. It would be improbable that he will spent all his POV time in the dungeon so we could expect him to witness some important events. And of course it could be some marriage too.

I've been poking around a bit and found some stuff in Dany's last chapter in SoS that I found pretty interesting. One is right before she talks to Cleon of Astapor's envoy, named Ghael. Dany thinks to herself:

The dragon has three heads. There are two men in the world who I can trust, if I can find them. I will not be alone then. We will be three against the world, like Aegon and his sisters.

It looks as if she plans to find two men she can trust and bind them to herself, whether there is precedent or not.

I’m afraid this is not an exact interpretation.

Dany believes that dragon should have three heads just like Rhaegar believed into it. She thinks herself as one of the heads and she believes that somewhere in the world there are two others who are destined to become the heads of the dragon as well. She is not sure how she would find them since she think about herself as the last living Targaryen. She is planning nothing because she doesn’t know where to look and even where to start. She only hopes that she will eventually find them.

What is interesting is that where were quite a few mentions about three heads in the book by a few characters. Rhaegar, Dany, Illirio in spoiler chapters and Alleras/Sarella.

Have I forgot somebody?

As for two husbands. This may be difficult. In Targaryen family there were examples of many wives but never many husbands. The obvious complication is that in the first place it is possible to name both parents of every child and in the second it could be quite problematic.

However targaryen has never been lead by a woman before anyways it would only matter if the child claim came from the father however every child that is born to Dany would be her without question

However targaryen has never been lead by a woman before anyways it would only matter if the child claim came from the father however every child that is born to Dany would be her without question

Not exactly there was previous “dance of dragonsâ€. And Dany most probably barren anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

That sounds like a pretty piss-poor POV. If Theon's only going to watch helplessly as events go on around him, and not be able to do anything himself, then we don't need to see things from his point of view. George could just as easily create a character who works for Ramsay to give that perspective, or let Ramsay tell his own story. I don't see him bringing back Theon unless Theon himself is going to be important to the story.

And Asha's not the only one who needs Theon alive. Any ironborn who wants to oppose Euron is stuck with him as the only plausible option; if you'll recall from the Asha spoiler chapter, pretty much everybody else was disqualified after the kingsmoot. The same logic applies to somebody like Stannis who would need a claimant to the throne that the ironborn would accept. It's Euron or Theon at this point.

Also, I bet that many northmen already know that Bran and Rickon are alive. Ramsay has his men paying gold for news about them, after all; and the mountain clans have seen Bran and co. traveling north. Gods only know how many people saw Osha and Rickon. So I'm not sure that it can really be called a secret that Theon and Ramsay have.

I think Dany marrying Quentyn Martell fits best out of the options I've seen so far. Considering timelines, Quentyn has a large geographic head start on Victarion and was sent with a similar mission in mind. There is precedent for Targs marrying Martells and there aren't any other Targs around for Dany to marry, it may seem the most traditional option left to her. Dany has need for political allies in Westeros, and the backing of the Dorne would be a big plus for any Targ wanting to return there.

I wonder whether Illyrio was involved in the long-term House Martell plan to bring the Targaryen kings back to Westeros? Apparently Doran Martell had achieved some sort of agreement to marry Arianne to Viserys, and had to change plans quickly when Viserys died. In my opinion Doran Martell could never have known anything about Viserys' personal character-- he would not have promised Arianne to a man so stupid and vicious, no matter what his bloodlines. So the Martell plan changed to "Marry Quentyn to Dany" and a party is on their way to open negotiations. I wish we had been given more insight into what kind of man Quentyn himself is, for that will be one of the deciding factors in how Dany reacts to the offer of alliance with House Martell and assistance in re-conquering Westeros. The undeniably silly Arianne never thinks anything substantive about her brother-- he appears in her mind only under the heading "Wrongs Daddy did to me: wants Quentyn to succeed him!" She never wonders, apparently, if there could be any reasons for what she read other than her first explanation: "daddy doesn't love me best". Human self-absorption is so ludicrously pervasive... Cersei is a monster of self-absorption, thinking everything that happens is about her and all truths are determined by how she feels, and Theon is another case study: nothing is important to him except his self-portrait as a rich powerful king and whether others serve, or detract from, that mental image. Gah!!

aspasia

Okay, time to get down to the nitty-gritty: predicting the "marriage" GRRM admits to having written.

First, the most likely known possibility is, of course, Danaerys and Quentyn. Let's just assume that is the most probable and move on to the other possibilities.

We know that Victarion is sailing to Slaver's Bay with the intention of marrying Danaerys. So that is possibility #2.

But let's get away from just speculating about Dany. Who else is a contender for marriage? I don't *think* "Alayne Stone" was going to be a POV in ADWD, but I might be wrong. If she is, she might have married Harry the Heir. Asha is also an eligible female -- while she hardly seems likely to settle down, she could conceivably marry if it acquired her swords to her cause. Who might she marry?

I don't foresee any weddings up around the Wall for obvious reasons. And Davos, for however long may he be alive, is already wed.

Hmm.

Asha is gettig married or supposed to be according to her POV spoiler so that could be it

That sounds like a pretty piss-poor POV. If Theon's only going to watch helplessly as events go on around him, and not be able to do anything himself, then we don't need to see things from his point of view. George could just as easily create a character who works for Ramsay to give that perspective, or let Ramsay tell his own story. I don't see him bringing back Theon unless Theon himself is going to be important to the story.

I think it is a bit of both. Like with all GRRM's PoVs

Theon will have his own plotline, but from his PoV we will see what is going on in Dreadfort with Boltons.

Kinda Like Arya&BwB in SoS, or Theon&the Ironborn during CoK.

IIRC, and no, I don't know where I've read it, but I think GRRM said we will be seing Boltons in this book. I think it is through Theon's PoV, although It's always possible to see it from someone else's eyes.

So, he has his plotline in which he is trying to escape, but during his stay in the fort he witnesses some cool stuff that are happening there. And, as George always likes having story of each PoV "complete" in a certain way, he will finish Theon's vacation at the Dreadfort at the end of DWD

That sounds like a pretty piss-poor POV. If Theon's only going to watch helplessly as events go on around him, and not be able to do anything himself, then we don't need to see things from his point of view.
Well, Sansa was in exactly same position for most of the books. And her PoW isn't bad.

Also, I bet that many northmen already know that Bran and Rickon are alive. Ramsay has his men paying gold for news about them, after all;
I am sure he never called them by names. Just "two boys 9 and 5 years old". Of course, clever man might wonder if they are Bran and Rickon alive, but that's just guesses.

Doubt the Dany/Quentyn angle for the same reason as many others here. I have to believe that once he explains the plan to her, she'll see she doesn't really have to marry him. If she wants Dorne as allies, she already has them b/c she has what they want (more than a royal marriage). She has the best possibility of bringing down the Lannisters. Doran would hardly go boo-hoo if Dany rejected his son. If he's the first one to jump on board when she takes over Westeros, he'll be in great political position. Ironically, they may find a close ally in the age-old enemy of Dorne, the Reach. Tyrells were a loyalist bunch during Robert's rebellion. Perhaps they can seal the deal w/ a Quentyn/Myrcella marriage (her 4th husband before the age of 18! and still a maiden, if not medically).

<snip> Tyrells were a loyalist bunch during Robert's rebellion. Perhaps they can seal the deal w/ a Quentyn/Myrcella marriage (her 4th husband before the age of 18! and still a maiden, if not medically).

ITYM Margaery.

Aratan

• 1 month later...

I would prefer a Bolton or another Ironman (Andrik the unsmiling maybe haha) POV over Theon.

Theon is done IMO.

The ironmen warriors have no respect for him, hes no great warrior or captain, and the Damphair wouldnt support him, so why would the smallfolk?

and Asha only has her loyal group (i forget how many longships she had, but obviously not enough to challenge Euron).

The Dreadfort seems to be a long distance from the Glovers castle (forgot the name and dont have the book with me)

Id be dissapointed if Theon survives his stay at the Dreadfort. But im looking forward to what his POV can bring to the story and hopefully it is good.

• 1 month later...

No doubt this is stupid, but, could it be a different kind of marriage? More like an alliance than a couple getting wed? This would open up many more options. A 'marriage' of to forces for mutual gain or politics - Dany and some khalasar or other; or the other slaver cities uniting to attempt to drive her out, something like that?

If not, don't forget it's rewriting too, so previous sure things might no longer be. Hey, Selyse might die and Stannis marry Mel.

I would prefer a Bolton or another Ironman (Andrik the unsmiling maybe haha) POV over Theon.

Theon is done IMO.

The ironmen warriors have no respect for him, hes no great warrior or captain, and the Damphair wouldnt support him, so why would the smallfolk?

and Asha only has her loyal group (i forget how many longships she had, but obviously not enough to challenge Euron).

The Dreadfort seems to be a long distance from the Glovers castle (forgot the name and dont have the book with me)

Id be dissapointed if Theon survives his stay at the Dreadfort. But im looking forward to what his POV can bring to the story and hopefully it is good.

Theon wouldn't be returning as a PoV just to show off the Boltons and their Dreadfort. If he dies at the Dreadfort, it's going to be doing something big. Like screwing up Ramsay's Wedding, Killing Roose or Ramsay, freeing the Winterfell people, etc. I don't know how the hell he would escape, unless Ramsay tries to assassinate Roose at his wedding to gain lordship.

If not, don't forget it's rewriting too, so previous sure things might no longer be. Hey, Selyse might die and Stannis marry Mel.

Interesting. We have no idea what happened at Dragonstone or who survived. Selyse may be dead. Or not.

And Grrm said ADwD would concern The Wall and Over the Sea. Maybe Dany is tired of sleeping with her maids.

But with the Theon POV, it will all largely depend on how bad his current situation as prisoner is. He as already been flayed in a minor way, and there's no telling what other tortures and humiliations he has been subjected to - and that, we probably all feel, is justified. He is such an SOB. But will his upbringing by Ned Stark have any bearing on how he conducts himself when given the opportunity to act against the Boltons? It may. It has been shown through his POV's before that he has a little of Ned Stark and the North in him by his upbringing, and maybe some of this will win out in the end. Sometimes a person has to hit rock bottom before they can become a better person....

Nature vs. Nurture.

• 1 month later...
But with the Theon POV, it will all largely depend on how bad his current situation as prisoner is. He as already been flayed in a minor way, and there's no telling what other tortures and humiliations he has been subjected to - and that, we probably all feel, is justified. He is such an SOB. But will his upbringing by Ned Stark have any bearing on how he conducts himself when given the opportunity to act against the Boltons? It may. It has been shown through his POV's before that he has a little of Ned Stark and the North in him by his upbringing, and maybe some of this will win out in the end. Sometimes a person has to hit rock bottom before they can become a better person....

Nature vs. Nurture.

I've always wanted Theon to do something redemptive since taking Winterfell but I can't see GRRM writing anything that clean and simple.

Archived