*SPOILERS* GRRM's Remark on ADwD

Tysha

Another update today:

I had a number of good days writing on DANCE after my last post. It felt great to have a solid streak of work like that. It's been a while, with all the stuff that has gone down this last year. I got quite a bit done, including a marriage. Some of it was rewriting, but the book will be much stronger for the changes I made.

He then goes on to say the past two days have been less productive but never mind, I'm more interested in the marriage part. Who's getting married?! Given what he said about his head being 'full of Dany and Jon and Q', are we going to see Dany and Quentyn getting married?

He then goes on to say the past two days have been less productive but never mind, I'm more interested in the marriage part. Who's getting married?! Given what he said about his head being 'full of Dany and Jon and Q', are we going to see Dany and Quentyn getting married?

Maybe Tyrion and Tysha. :P

Okay, time to get down to the nitty-gritty: predicting the "marriage" GRRM admits to having written.

First, the most likely known possibility is, of course, Danaerys and Quentyn. Let's just assume that is the most probable and move on to the other possibilities.

We know that Victarion is sailing to Slaver's Bay with the intention of marrying Danaerys. So that is possibility #2.

But let's get away from just speculating about Dany. Who else is a contender for marriage? I don't *think* "Alayne Stone" was going to be a POV in ADWD, but I might be wrong. If she is, she might have married Harry the Heir. Asha is also an eligible female -- while she hardly seems likely to settle down, she could conceivably marry if it acquired her swords to her cause. Who might she marry?

I don't foresee any weddings up around the Wall for obvious reasons. And Davos, for however long may he be alive, is already wed.

Hmm.

I would say the candidates are

Daenerys and Quentyn

Daenerys and Daario

Jeyne Poole and Ramsay Snow/Bolton

Val and any one of the Northern Lords or their relatives

Val and any one of Stannis' loyal men

Asha and ????

Part trois, Arbor Gold -- don't forget about Joff.

Which reminds me, the last two Weddings of Doom have been from the POV of neither the bride nor the groom, and resulted in the death of one of the three (bride, groom, POV character). The one we haven't seen die yet is the bride. I suggest Ramsay Snow/Jeyne Poole from Theon's POV R.I.P. Jeyne Poole. I think Val is a poor choice of bride because (1) she's a wildling, so good luck getting her to go for a political marriage and (2) she's slated to end up with Jon. Alayne meanwhile is not going to show up in the book and is waiting on Tyrion's death besides, plus does anyone really think it'll be as simple a happy ending for her as that?

Dany getting married to Quentyn seems too convenient somehow - striking up yet another Targaryen-Martell alliance which could be very beneficial to Dany. If she came to Westeros by the Stepstones, her ticket to the continent would then conveniently be Dorne, she would have three armies behind her laying waste to her enemies and Doran would get his vengeance on the Lannisters...and it just seems to fit too neatly, even if Dany doesn't invade Westeros in ADWD. And for that reason, because this is GRRM, I don't think Dany/Quentyn is the marriage he referred to.

I don't even think it's a POV character who gets married. I'm with those who guess at Ramsay/Jeyne, poor little girl. She's just a kid caught up in the high lords' game. It's so not fair.

Anyway, the only problem I see with the marriage being Ramsay/Jeyne is because we need a POV there to see it happen in order for George to write it. Sam's down in Oldtown, and the only other pair of eyes at the Wall is Jon. I hope it isn't him. How bitter would it be to go home to Winterfell, only to see the bastard son of your family's rival - who also sacked and burned your castle - marry there, and to a daughter of your household?

Anyway, the only problem I see with the marriage being Ramsay/Jeyne is because we need a POV there to see it happen in order for George to write it. Sam's down in Oldtown, and the only other pair of eyes at the Wall is Jon. I hope it isn't him. How bitter would it be to go home to Winterfell, only to see the bastard son of your family's rival - who also sacked and burned your castle - marry there, and to a daughter of your household?

As someone said upthread Theon could be the POV, as he is presumably at the Dreadfort, with or without some of his skin.

Another update today:

I had a number of good days writing on DANCE after my last post. It felt great to have a solid streak of work like that. It's been a while, with all the stuff that has gone down this last year. I got quite a bit done, including a marriage. Some of it was rewriting, but the book will be much stronger for the changes I made.

I believe, also, that Asha is married by proxy in this book to some ironman his uncle chose. Could this be the wedding?

Young Grif - a sellsword's marriage? Doesn't seem too likely. As for the idea that it could be Asha's marriage being written in, hasn't he already written that? But he could have rewritten it.

That depends upon who Young Grig really is. Speculation is he may well be Aegon Targaryen, son of Rhaegar, who was supposedly killed by Ser Gregor when the Lannisters took Kings Landing. And therefore heir to the Targaryen throne and Dany's uncle, though he would be only about 1 year older than Dany.

(Briefly, Lord Connington's sigil was the Griffin; he snuck Dany's mother and Viscerys out of KL to Dragonstone. That is fact from the books. Speculation is that he may also have snuck out Aegon and exchanged babies before Ser Gregor did his dirty work. Then in the books, GRRM mentions that Lord Connington takes Dany and Viscerys to the Free cities but then he "disappears" or maybe dies? But he may actually be Grif - the commander of the sellswords as the Griffin was his sigil. We'll have to wait for ADWD to find out.

(Briefly, Lord Connington's sigil was the Griffin; he snuck Dany's mother and Viscerys out of KL to Dragonstone. That is fact from the books. Speculation is that he may also have snuck out Aegon and exchanged babies before Ser Gregor did his dirty work. Then in the books, GRRM mentions that Lord Connington takes Dany and Viscerys to the Free cities but then he "disappears" or maybe dies? But he may actually be Grif - the commander of the sellswords as the Griffin was his sigil. We'll have to wait for ADWD to find out.

I think you got the facts and names mixed up. Jon Connington is Aerys Hand and he loses the Battle of the Bells to Robert and Ned, after which Aerys exiles Connington across the Narrow Sea. Here Connington vanishes from sight, although Jaime at some point hears how Jon soon drank himself to death.

It's Ser Willem Darry that takes Dany and Viserys to the Free Cities. He does not vanish though, He dies from sickness and/or old age. It's in one the earlier Dany chapters in AGoT.

I think you got the facts and names mixed up. Jon Connington is Aerys Hand and he loses the Battle of the Bells to Robert and Ned, after which Aerys exiles Connington across the Narrow Sea. Here Connington vanishes from sight, although Jaime at some point hears how Jon soon drank himself to death.

It's Ser Willem Darry that takes Dany and Viserys to the Free Cities. He does not vanish though, He dies from sickness and/or old age. It's in one the earlier Dany chapters in AGoT.

Correct. And, if I recall correctly, what we know about Griff and Young Griff come from summaries of an unreleased ADwD preview chapter, which is discussed here.

Many speculate that 'Griff' is Lord Jon Connington (Dancing Griffins), who took charge of the Golden Company after his banishment and who, as a prominent Targaryen loyalist, will play a role in the effort to restore the Dragonkings through Daenerys. And this 'Young Griff' is either Lord Connington's son (I think this is likely) or as some have theorized, Aegon son of Rhaegar, which I think is much less likely. It seems a stretch for Dany to marry either Lord C or his son (why would she?), and if Aegon is still alive and masquerading as the Young Griff, it would be a big surprise, I think; not impossible, but a stretch.

Archived