Watchmen

Ser Hot Pie

From Aint it Cool News:

Dr. Manhattan is a tricky part, and there’s something alien and otherworldly about him. Keanu Reeves always seems to me to be on a different wavelength than anyone else on the planet, so when he steps into the part as the big blue superbeing, it might be a nice fit.

Well... he does sound rather alien. And emotionless.

Truth be told, I think Alan Moore had it right when he simply quit caring what they did with the movie adaptations of his work.

The idea of Keanu Reeves as Dr. Manhattan makes me cring. While he maybe best in roles the provide an explanation for the lack of emotion in his acting this pacticular character would require a subtelty that I don't think he is capable of approaching. its key to the story that Dr Manhattan is not lacking in emotion but his nature is now so far removed from that of normal human beings that he can no longer relate to us as individuals. I do not think Reeves would be able to come close to pulling this off.

Of course I've never liked the idea of making a Watchman movie. I don't think that the orignal material lends itself to adaptation to a feature film format. Its just a bad idea and the results are likely to be either sad, laughable or both and strip the heart out of one of the most complex and deep works in the comic book field. There are some great books and comics that just couldn't be done well as movies and I think this is one of them. A TV miniseries, if done by the right group (HBO comes to mind but I'm sure there are others) might be able to do some justice to the source material but even then I would be skeptical.

Yeah, like a movie about a bunch of aging superheroes doing something evil to New York to "bring the world together" isn't a total ripoff of "Heroes" on NBC.

Sorry, people your timing sucks. Maybe if you'd come up with the concept in the 80s instead of right on the heels of a popular TV show then there would be more credibility. Sheesh.

I should have known better. Really, I should have, but since hearing about it originally, I held out some small amount of hope that this project would actually turn out to be totally f'in awesome.

Here's the part where you laugh at me.

Yeah, like a movie about a bunch of aging superheroes doing something evil to New York to "bring the world together" isn't a total ripoff of "Heroes" on NBC.

Sorry, people your timing sucks. Maybe if you'd come up with the concept in the 80s instead of right on the heels of a popular TV show then there would be more credibility. Sheesh.

Oh, suffering FUCK. I think you're right.

I am less concerned about the casting of Dr. Manhattan than Rorschach and Ozymandias. They are the characters who will make or break the film. Dr. Manhattan could be played by CGI for all I care.

or better yet, what if jeph loeb and company had decided to use something else for inspiring the bulk of their first season story.

Sarcasm aside...

Is there any doubt, disregarding the dubious casting choice, that a Watchmen movie would suck, and hard? Watchmen was a pitch perfect use of the comic book medium. Episodic, slowly unfolding, using panel progression almost ideally. I do not think it transfers well to the screen.

We are likely looking at a "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" level catastrophe, as far as carrying the story off and communicating the subtlelty to an audience. Add in the naive people who really will think it's a ripoff of Heroes, potential comic book movie overload, and dubious casting choices, and it might be a "Pirate Island," a failure of epic proportions.

And I'm usually a cheerleader for comic movies. I have low hopes here.

This project's been doomed for years. And it's slow, torturous trip through development has pretty much been derided the entire way. The only decent script for it was 300 pages. God only knows what they're using now.

Yeah, Ser P was right. At this point, they should just bury thids for awhile. coming out anytime in the next few years, and it'll be hailed as "That movie that ripped off the plot of Heroes". Doesn't matter which came first, that's the way it'll look to the general public.

Archived